Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
I just found out yesterday that my break lights are not working on my trailer and my right turn signal is also not working. I changed the bulbs on the right side and still have nothing. The left turn signal works and the lights for driving at night work, but no right turn signal and no break lights anywhere. Can anyone help me with any tips on some wiring issues. It's not the car wiring because I've tried two car and both had the same issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-13-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Check the fuses. I have a Dodge Ram and there are 4 different fuses that go to the lights and towing. I was baffeled as well.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Thanks Chris, do you think they would be blown on both car. I tried my fiance's suv and mine and both had the same problem. I will go check it out on both cars here in a little.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Also check the ground...I've had weird problems and it was cause of a rusty or loose ground.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
I've checked all of the fuses and none were blown. I also checked the ground the other day and took some sand paper to it and reconnected it. Still no luck.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
any other suggestions on what it could be
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-13-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
I recently had some trailer issues (lights not working). My dealer said it was most likely the connection to the truck or a bad light. He recommended that I spray the connectors with WD-40. I did that and it worked. That might be worth a try for you.
Old     (myaliasisnull)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Many times the trailer bulbs require a completed circuit to operate. You said your right turn signal and brakes are not working. I would change the right turn signal bulb and odds are it is this bulb not functioning that is keeping the brake circuit from completing.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Well that was my thinking too. So I changed the bulb over on the right side because that was the one that was not working. Still no right turn signal. The left turn signal still works, but nothing on the right side and none of the break lights work. I will try the wd 40 thing also. Thank you.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Did they Break??

Or Brake?
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Ha thanks for the correction. My brake lights are not working. They are not broken.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-13-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
give your trailer wiring a quick once-over. Had similar issues and found that the wiring was pinched and shorting out where a knot was tied in the wires.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
heheheh, all in gest...

I would use a multitester to see if you have power in the plugs, and light sockets. Then trace the problem from there.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-15-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Unless your trailer has separate lights for brake and turn then if you have a left turn signal, but not a left brake light, then the problem has to be in the tow vehicle.

As Chris said, check the fuses in the tow vehicle. Get the manual out and read it carefully. My Ford Expedition, as an example, has two separate fuse boxes. A box under the dash has all the common fuses for the car. A second fuse box under the hood has the really large fuses and all the trailer wiring fuses.

If your tow vehicle happens to be a type that has separate turn and brake lights then I would guess that the problem is in a relay somewhere that converts the three light system (tail, brake & turn) to the two light trailer configuration. That relay would probably be in with the fuses.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
On my tahoe, the fuse for the trailer running lights had blown so I was not getting any running lights at night on it. The fuses are separate from the normal brake/signal/running lights for the truck. Your owners manual for the truck should show you exactly where they are in the fuse box.
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Get a test light, they're pretty cheap and good to have around anyway. I would start where the wires go into the trailer lights. If you have voltage there everything in front of that point is good.If not work your way towards the tow vehicle. You'll find the problem quickly with a test light.