Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-31-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
is anyone powering rev 8's with the dx2 amp? I know that is under powering them but was curious if anyone has this setup and likes the results? or should I bite the bullet and get the sd2? ( I have a dx2 already? ( haven't purchased the revs yet?)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-31-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
murph, not sure where you heard the Syn DX2 is under powered but the SYN DX2 is optimum power for a pair of two pairs of REV 8. These amps are built like a tank and have a ton of power so don't worry one bit, hook it up and rock out.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-31-2016, 1:16 PM Reply   
thanks Tim! I plan to, just seems like when I read the threads most people are recommending an amp that gives more rms that the recommended ( then I assume using the gains to properly tune?)

one more quick question? right now I have 4 icon 8's on the tower. my plan is to replace 1 set with rev 8's and probably add the second pair toward the end of the summer. any issue with the icons and revs on tower? I assume the revs will pretty much drown out the icons? I would still run all of them off the dx 2 . just curious if there any issues I need to be aware of? would it be better just to pull the other pair of icons and save up for the second pair of revs?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-31-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
You want to match RMS ratings of the speaker with the RMS rating of the amp at the given impedance. When you run more power than RMS, you wind up usually gaining the amp down a bit and gaining headroom (which means the amp is not working very hard to support the given power) In this case, the SYN DX2 is right on for power on the REV 8's and that amp can play that all day long. Stepping to the SD-2 will gain a lot of power allowing you to gain the amp down. But trust me, you will love it as it with that amp.

You will have to set the amp gains to the power on the ICON 8 and not the REV 8 as the REV can handle more power. So set the gains being very careful or you can wind up blowing the ICON in this scenario. You will wind up not utilizing the pure output of the REV 8 right now

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-31-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,
I saw you commenting on this thread so I thought I would reach out to you on a similar topic.
On my Xstar last year I had 6 Rev8s and loved it!
I am currently working on the stereo on my 2016 G23 and bought FOUR Rev8s (for sound 80' back) and TWO Icon8s for sound in the wakesurf range. Six total.
I would use a separate "smaller" amp for the two Icon8s.
Will this configuration work? or will the Rev8s simply overpower the Icon8s?
Thanks for your input.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-31-2016, 4:16 PM Reply   
Tim,

I would not run a hybrid type set up like this as it is not necessary. Having the same identical speakers across the board is easier to tune and power. For instance if you have 6 REV 8, you could run a single SD6 to all and be easy to tune it. 185x6. You can still run a SD-6 but have to gain the ICON 8 down and then it will not keep up with the REV 8. Or a 2 ch on the REV 8 and small 2 ch on the ICON. The best thing to do would be go to the 6 REV 8 and then tune the system for lower crossover point for more bass response and lower the gain. You will have the full sound for surfing and since you have 6 speakers, plenty for wake range. It is all really tuning at that point and finding the balance. The REV 8 is a very balanced speaker. It works great for both smooth response and output.

Many get caught up in the wake and surf wording. We have tons of guys running REV 10 behind your head on a UTV and plenty of fisherman using REV 8 and REV 10 on t tops on center console boats. It depends on what type of sound your looking for. Those guys want it crazy loud. Then there are guys that want loud but full sound and not so worried about distance. Those guys use the ICON as the speaker suits their goals and the sound they are looking for

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-01-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuurph84 View Post
thanks Tim! I plan to, just seems like when I read the threads most people are recommending an amp that gives more rms that the recommended ( then I assume using the gains to properly tune?)

one more quick question? right now I have 4 icon 8's on the tower. my plan is to replace 1 set with rev 8's and probably add the second pair toward the end of the summer. any issue with the icons and revs on tower? I assume the revs will pretty much drown out the icons? I would still run all of them off the dx 2 . just curious if there any issues I need to be aware of? would it be better just to pull the other pair of icons and save up for the second pair of revs?
Hey Murph, If you read down below you will see where I have four Rev 8s and two Icon 8s.
Tim (from Wetsounds) suggested I just go with 6 Rev8s instead of mixing them up.
So you want my two Icon8s? they are new and in the box, never been mounted.
Im up for a trade on you other two Rev8s if they are in good condition.
You can email me at timburns1080@gmail.com
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-01-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
murph, not sure where you heard the Syn DX2 is under powered but the SYN DX2 is optimum power for a pair of two pairs of REV 8. These amps are built like a tank and have a ton of power so don't worry one bit, hook it up and rock out.

Tim
Wet Sounds
I was also told this before. I have 4 REV 8s powered by the SYN2 and someone told me they were under powered.

All I know is that these speakers scream and are super clear...

is the new SYN DX2 just an updated version if SYN2?
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2016, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1080 View Post
Hey Murph, If you read down below you will see where I have four Rev 8s and two Icon 8s.

Tim (from Wetsounds) suggested I just go with 6 Rev8s instead of mixing them up.

So you want my two Icon8s? they are new and in the box, never been mounted.

Im up for a trade on you other two Rev8s if they are in good condition.

You can email me at timburns1080@gmail.com

I have 4 icons, I am trying to go to 4 rev 8's's I'll trade u my 4 icons lol
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-01-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I was also told this before. I have 4 REV 8s powered by the SYN2 and someone told me they were under powered.

Other than the "SYN" and the Wetsounds logo, these two amplifiers have nothing much in common.
The old SYN2 is Class H, a fan-cooled open-chassis, with sparse heat sink mass, and connections at either end.
The new SYNDX2 is Class D, a sealed chassis, with all connections along a single side.
There's nothing wrong with the efficiency of the prior Class H, as it's pretty good, however, Class D is more efficient.
While features and power levels & configurations are different from series to series, all three series of Wetsounds amplifiers (HTX, SYNDX, and SD) now share the above newer attributes.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-02-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
so I guess the next question is where is the best place to post my 4 icons for sale? the classifieds here and ebay? putting them on craigslist but if anyone is in the atl area I would much rather sell in person. ( Icons are off a 2016 axis so they are basically brand new!) pm if interested

last question and I'll be done with stereo help for a while (I hope! lol) anyone swap out their inboat 65i's for xs650's . just curious if the results are worth the swap since I will be running 100w rms to 6 of them that would be very close to the exact rms?

thanks again for everyone's help!
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-07-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
I actually swapped out my WS 65's for 650s and heard a marked difference in clarity and fullness of the output. Was pleasantly surprised, they're definitely worth the extra cost. Hey murph
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-07-2016, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post

(4) Rev 8's on a Syn 2 is underpowered, Not in the sense of dangerously/harmful underpowered and crappy sounding , but underpowered in the sense you're not getting the maximum potential of your 2k setup . If one was looking for the maximum output of the Rev 8 platform and had (4).......the SD2 or Arc Audio KS 600.2 is a much better pairing to get the optimal performance out of the Rev 8's
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-08-2016, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonality View Post
I actually swapped out my WS 65's for 650s and heard a marked difference in clarity and fullness of the output. Was pleasantly surprised, they're definitely worth the extra cost. Hey murph
thanks for the feedback,

what are you powering the 650's with? I think I will do this and stick with the dx2 and the icons for the summer. should be plenty for my needs. ( revs might be a Christmas list idea )