Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    constantin            05-04-2005, 5:31 AM Reply   
I am looking for the perfect boat for waterskiing 40 %, wakeboarding 50 %, others 10 %.

One of my friends has a Mastercraft X9 which is quite expensive, has only limited ballast tanks not very well hidden (lying all over in the boat) but the nice option to put the rear seat up to a sun platform. I couldn't find this option on any other boat but I think the Moomba has it also??
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2005, 5:55 AM Reply   
The base Moomba Outback offers that seating arrangement, and is a fantastic ski boat, but marginal wake for wakeboarding.

2 Boats to look into:

Supra Launch (Direct Drive)
Supra Launch SSV (V-Drive)--A fantastic ski wake for a V-drive.

Good Luck!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-04-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
We own a Moomba Outback and with the proper weight with sacs in the boat, it still throws a great wake. With no ballast, has a great ski wake. Like many threads have mentioned before, Mommba uses good engines but trims a lot of the extras out....so the price point is kept low. I would buy another if I ever had to.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-04-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Look at an older X-star/X2(to keep price down). They are on the same hull as the 205 which is AWSA approved for slalom. It has internal ballast for when you do WB. It is not as good as the Direct drive for skiing, but I run the course with ours all the time. If you keep your speed around 34-36mph, the wake is pretty flat. I don't think I need to comment on the wake for boarding.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
Correct Crafts SV211 is about the best cross-over boat I have seen.
Old    constantin            05-04-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thank you for your help!

Has the Supra Launch (dir. drive) this rear seat sun platform option too? Are there any other dir. drive boats (X9, Momba Outback, Supra Launch) with this option? (CC Air 205?)

Does anyone got through the slalom course with a v-drive boat?

Is the SV211 or the X2 the better coice for me? (The Lake of Konstanz often has rough conditions, webcam: http://www.sixd9.de/webcam.php?cam=1)
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-04-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Here are my personal suggestions for the big 3.

Nautique: SV211 - It's a V-Drive, so we know it can put out a good wakeboard wake, but it is also a USA Waterski approved tow boat (Class C touraments only). It at least has a good enough wake for professional slalom skiers to OK it for slalom wakes.

Malibu: Response LXI or Sunsetter: I have run both of these in the course, both DD boats. With any malibu, you can throw the wedge on for a space saving "ballast". I do prefer Malibus over other boats, but thats my opinion.

Mastercraft: I would suggest the X-7. Has the same hull as the Prostar 190, yet is also outfitted for wakeboarding. I have done both wakeboarding and ran the course behind this boat. I'm not a fan of Mastercraft's slalom wakes, but again, thats my opinion.

Expense wise, I think you should look at Malibu's first, then Mastercraft, then the Nautique. Of course each manufactuer has their pro's and con's, but they are the big 3 for a reason. What you gain with one company, you might lose with another, so you need to determine what is most important for you.

If you're doing ANY slalom course skiing, I would highly recommend the wake be a major factor in the decesion. It is ALWAYS easier to make a wake bigger than make it smaller. I really like the Malibu slalom wakes. If you have any questions, please ask.
Old    trickskisrock            05-04-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
If you want to pick up an older used boat, you can't beat a 93-96 Ski Nautique. Great slalom wake yet you can put some fat sacs in it and get a fairly large wakeboarding wake. Get it with the GT40 engine and you'll have more than enough power for whatever you want to do.
If you want to get a new boat, I'd recommend a Malibu Response LXI. It is a super comfy boat with walk thru bow. One of my personal favorite ski boats. Dropping the wedge will be more than enough for beginner wakeboarders. If you really want to get a big wake, drop the wedge and put a couple sacs in the boat and you should be happy as a clam.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-04-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
i have an '02 malibu wakesetter lxi, it makes a very decent slalom wake and with wedge and sacks, makes a plentiful wake for wakeboarding (have had pros out behind the boat with no complaints) It has a large ski locker, which is essentially a sun platform (def big enough for your wife or girl or whomever to stretch out on.

my buddy's '98 model makes a better (perfect) wakeboard wake, not quite as nice a slalom wake (still good) and does not have the sunpad.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-04-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
I agree with all of the above boats but would also add the Tige 21i and the 22i to the mix. Both are built as wakeboarding boats but are DD and have incredible slalom wakes. We have run our 22i on the course and it has been more than adequate. Not quitw as good as a Prostar 190 or Response but plenty if you are going down to as far as 28 off. Due to the weight of the Tiges they cannot get certified to tow comps, but like I said, they were built with wakeboarding in mind, plus with the storage capacity you can add tons of ballast and not clutter the floor like a traditional DD boat. I really was leaning to the X-9, practically bought it, but once I skiied behind the Tige, I was impressed. All these boats kick ace. All will handle incredibly well. The guy I share my dock with bought a SV-211 last summer. Not the Air edition, and it skis ok, but it seems you have to go super fast(35-36mph) to real get a solid slalom pull. The wake is not that great under 32mph for slalom, but his boarding wake is top notch.
Just my .02
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
I run the course all the time in our X2. If you only have one or two people in the boat, the wake is pretty flat at 34-36mph. At 36, the wake is really nice.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
Don't forget Centurion. They have the T5 which is great for slalom, but has a decent wake for a smaller boat. If you would rather a bigger wake, then look at the Cyclone. Both great boats.
Old    riomouse911            05-29-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
I had a '91 Ski Nautique, and with some lead shot bags from a sporting goods store under the bow and rear seats, and two waterbed tubes in the gunnels we had a meaty wake on the cheap. Another good boat is a Sanger 20DX. With the same system you'll have a good wake and still have some room to move around. Just drain the tubes for skiing (or just leave them, at 35 mph the wak's still pretty flat) and away you'll go.
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
I own a Supra Launch LTS. It is secifically designed as both a wakeboard and ski boat. It has a competition approved waterski hull, but also includes front and rear ballas (500 rear, 400 front, I believe) and a tower. other nice features are a depth gauge, courtesy lighting, etc. It is a smaller boat (20 feet) but wide (95 inches).

We spend about 40 percent skiing, the rest wakeboarding. No complaints.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-29-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
sanger v215 is supposed to put out a great slolom wake as well as an awesome wakeboarding wake. plus its a v drive and will be les expensive than most boats listed
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-29-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
i've had an 00 outback ls, a 03 launch ss, and now a 04 ssv. all of them have great ski wakes. my thing is 99% of what we do on my boat is wakeboard & my wife HATES fat sacks laying all over the place. so i sold her on the fact that with the ssv & gg ballast i can have @ 2200 lbs and all of the bags are hidden. i love the ssv. it has alot of room inside & the wake is smooth & rampy with a lip at the top to kick you up in the air. good luck with your decision. there are alot of incredible boats out there. oh, a cheaper version of the supra ssv would be the mobius lsv if you're interested.
Old    sean123            05-29-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
Chuck.... The SSV and the Mobius LSV are totally different hulls
Old    brodster            05-30-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
We bought a 2005 Centurion Tornado for the same reasons. I ski, and my Wife and friends wakeboard. The X-9 was one that I was looking at as well, but costs were too high. The Tornado has really good wakes for both sports, and is bigger and roomier than the X-9. Couldn't be happier with it so far. Quality and finishing are top notch. Be sure to add it to your test drives! Good luck!
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
I'm surprised no one raised this one yet: Moomba Mobius LS.

Very reliable and does great for either skiing or wakeboarding. Be sure to get the wakeplate Perfect Pass, and Bertha Ballast option.

Oh, and very well priced too!

Santa
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-31-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Sounds like me, I bought the Nautique SV211. The Malibu I-Ride really surprised me how well it skied, very good price point. The X9 is also an obvious choice since the hull is based on skiing and it takes weight well. As others mentioned you can also find lots of others, maybe Tige?
Old    svfara            06-01-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have a Svfara SV609, great in the course for slalom, and will throw a very very nice wake for boarding, best dual purpose boat in my opinion.