Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-28-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
i was on ebay, and there pretty much giving away stereos.... i found a real nice one with an aux out port for like 60 bucks, and im thinking about snaggin it. does anyone else have a car stereo in there boat? is there really any diffrence from marine grade stuff to car stuff?
your help is greatly appreciated
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-28-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
99 percent of the stereos in boats are regular audio equipment. most of the marine grade stuff doesnt look that nice and the sound quality isnt nearly as good
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
my amps, sub, and cd player are all car audio
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
My amps and HU are car stereo equipment also. Just keep them dry and you should be golden. :-)
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-28-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
I was in the market for a new CD player but i ended up not getting one at all. Now I just have my ipod directly connected to my EQ. What is your budget/plans for your setup?
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-28-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
There is a significant difference in marine and car audio. If all you are talking about is a head unit, the differences are very specific. Many marine units have a watertight face so you can hose them off or wash them just like the rest of the boat. If you try this with a car audio unit, you will be needing another 60 bucks soon. The circuit board will also be coated and the chassis may be stainless steel. This should only be an issue if you live in an extremely humid or salty climate. Lastly, marine head units often have ports for wired remotes. Outside of pioneer, I don't believe any car audio units offer such a feature that is common place on most modern boats.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-29-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I got a 90 dollar walmart head unit with a jack for my ipod. Its been goin strong for 2 years now and even sounds good.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
Just keep it dry and you should be fine. The car stereo in my old boat lasted 3 summers until it went swimming after a good bow dip (nephew driving).
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
mike where is your HU located that it got wet in a bow dip?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
everything in my boat is car audio except for the tower speakers.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-01-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
Would someone mind linking me to some more info on an EQ unit with ipod port? Very curious about these.

I want a simple, basic setup with two tower speakers (just enough for the rider to hear - how many total watts?) and one 10" sub. Nothing fancy, but will try to look for quality off-brands.

I'm not a stereo expert; don't even know ohms and proper connection techniques, but if someone had a tutorial out there I would be happy to learn. :-)
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-01-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Anything sold as "marine" will cost you more than a comparable product for automotive. Sometimes the only thing that makes it "marine" is that it's white....