Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-19-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Just wanted to get some insight on the poll choices.

i voted for tony finn and know about herb obrien. But i was wondering what part tom carter and jimmy redmon have played in the history of wakeboarding. I'm sorry to say i know nothing about them and havent even heard of tom carter.

Sorry for my ignorance.
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-19-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
i juss got dont writing a paper for my launguage arts class and it was all about wakeboarding..mine teacher was stoked about it! but i would say Tony finn...Jimmy Redmon came around the same time herb did and Redmon created the twin tip design..so you can thank him for riding switch lol
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-22-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       03-22-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
I voted for Herb, because Tony Finn invented the Skerfer but the first wakeboard was made by HO. So thats what I went with. I think it was a trick question? Electric Snow please fill us in.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
"i juss got dont writing a paper for my launguage arts class and it was all about wakeboarding..mine teacher was stoked about it! but i would say Tony finn...Jimmy Redmon came around the same time herb did and Redmon created the twin tip design..so you can thank him for riding switch lol"

I usually do not point out grammatical errors, but WOW!

I consider the Skurfer the first wakeboard, so I voted for Tony. I agree with bg though on the electric snow thing. please fill us in.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I have a pretty easy question while we are on the subject. I've always wondered who all 12 members of the Dirty Dozen were. I can always only think of about 9 or 10 guys, since it was way before my time.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-22-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
"I usually do not point out grammatical errors, but WOW!"

It only seems so funny because it was in reference to an English class paper.:-)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
exactly why I did it. too funny.
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-22-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
ya lol...my paper sounded a lot better...i get lazy when i type on the computor lol
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-22-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
I voted other. I'll keep it short, but the act of standing sidewayz while riding a board behind a boat has been around well before any of those guys, and it was also called wakeboarding (among other things). People will debate if it's "real" wakeboarding, but like skating and snowboarding, wakeboarding has evolved from something super primitive to equipment that's much more advanced and it allows the riders to bring out the best when it comes to what they have to work with.

I credit jimmy and tony hugely when it comes to actually popularizing wakeboarding...like taking a chance on it, designing boards, traveling to promote it and losing money along the way. Despite the weird history with hyperlite, herb did commit to that compression molded wakeboard and whatever else I'm not listing because I'm tired and ornery (doh)!

I don't know a ton about tom carter, but he was a part of thruster "waterski boards", and they started up somewhere around 87 or 88. They made some really REALLY interesting boards back in the day...unique core materials, PBT tops and bottoms, reshapable rails, etch. Very cool stuff. i have a schmaltz american spirit (the model he rode in "spray"), but I'd dig anything thruster that was even older than that one.

But yeah, that's my story.