Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Purchased a Get High rope yesterday. The packaging label says the line is 75 feet. After a couple of pounding landings, I knew there was no way I could be riding at 80'. I measured the line after my ride and found that it was actually 67 feet (8 feet short). I took the line back to the shop and we opened another GH rope to compare. Same thing!

Beware if you are buying GH ropes. They could be shorter than advertised.

The good news is they gave me an 80' Accurate line as an even exchange for my trouble. My local boardshop rocks!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-13-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
I got to say, that is brutal of GHS.
Old    wakecord            10-13-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
How many sections in that rope? It sounds like they may be measuring the rope before they put the loops in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
The packaging says the 3 sections are 60, 10, and 5. It was actually 52, 10, and 5.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       10-13-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
You should email them and let them know. They're obviously having a quality control issue and may not even be aware of it.

I've got the Stix handle and it's not bad.
Old    alanp            10-13-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
i had some problems with a ghs rope too. it shredded while it knotted. i sent them pics in july and finally got my replacement rope two weeks ago. wtf?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
are you sure the they were not getting .... while they made that rope
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hmmmmmm, let's see here.

Dope smokers innacurately measuring ropes and then "spacing" a replacement for a defective rope???

Nah, just does not add up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
HAHA..that's what I said to the dealer.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-13-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
No wonder the rope and handle sells for 80 bucks on Ebay. Mine ripped the stitching half way down in the 10' loop because I just slip knotted it over the spindle. Thought it would hold up but nooooo. If you shorten that rope make sure you use the fancy knot that appeared on a previous thread (the kneeboarding knot!) It does work!!
Old    wakecord            10-13-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hey Flux, it would make sense if it were hemp rope!

We never short the customer. Of course, Spectra is harder to keep lit.

Mike: Our 70', 3 piece spectra rope/FH handle combos start at less than that, every day pricing.

PM me or visit wakecord.com.

(Message edited by wakecord on October 13, 2004)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Just pullin your chain, errrrrr, rope that is!!!

Lay off the spectra man, it's not organic!!
Old    wakecord            10-13-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
Tastes great, less filling....
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
J-rod are you sure you didn't smoke 8 feet of it?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       10-13-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
Usually wakeboard ropes count the handle in their measurements. My accurate line was the same way. Did you have the handle on the rope when you measured it?
Old    swass            10-13-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
"The packaging says the 3 sections are 60, 10, and 5. It was actually 52, 10, and 5."

Old    wakecord            10-14-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
Sean: Your line must be 'inaccurate'.

Most manufacturers know that if a rope is sold as 70', it should be 70', unless they have a disclaimer stating that the length is the sum of the handle and rope when sold as a combo.
Most manufacturers also list the section lengths.

Handles are acknowledged to add approx. 5' to the rope length.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Well, that is the case. But even my dealer was surprised the line was not 75'. So, is it standard to label the line length to include the length of the handle, even though the handle is not included? And the part that doesn’t make since is, the longest section is marked, “60’” when in fact it is only 52’. So if their line length included the handle, why would they still label the longest section as 60’?

Anyway, here's their response. They were very cool about it. Some one should make him use spell check though.

we apreciate your concern, Please know that the measurments are with a handle attatched, as you know there is no way to use a mainline for wakeboarding , without a handle . The measurments are 75 feet with a handle attacthed
handles avg in length 5-6 feet

if you like we can send you another 5' or 10' extension to make your rope
longer.

we will do this free of charge for you since you feel duped...

let me know.

Jose
Customer Service Manager
GHS
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
Squid: I could never smoke 8 feet worth in only one day, unless I had help.
Old    spoon            10-14-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Get High(er) rope:

Hemp-rope

Dude, it's like about 1 foot or sumthin'.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
I bought a GHS rope last year for $35 from their E-bay store . On their website I think it does say that the rope is 75 ft WITH the handle.

The stitching started to unravel on mine as well. I looked at a Straightline rope I had and noticed that they tie knots over the loops as opposed to just stitching it like the GHS rope. I tied knots over mine and have had no troubles ever since.

I did measure mine a few months ago to see how long it was. With my Accurate handle it measured 75 feet. Perhaps your dealer got a bad batch?

I thought it wasn't that big of a deal that I had to tie some knots. I'd rather pay $35 and tie a few knots than pay $80 for a rope that's really not that much different.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-14-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
67'+ 5' handle = 72', pretty darn close to 75' (wonder if GHS handles have 8' bridle).

So is it supposed to be 75' with or without the handle?

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on October 14, 2004)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-14-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
usually wakeboard ropes come in 70 foot lengths, add 5 from the handle and walla you have a 75 foot rope. For some reason my accurate jacket seems a foot or 2 longer than any other wakeboard rope we use on my boat, old masterline, old straightline, and another jacket line. the masterline has an accurate handle, the other jacket has some other handle thats older and the straightline has a straightline handle... strange
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-14-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Richard - Post a pic of your knot tied rope. I fail to see how I could tie a knot around the stitched area, it looks way to stiff to do that....maybe I'm not gettin the picture!!!!!!

Jeff - no 8' bridle, standard 5 foot.

wakecord - when mine goes...I'll give you a shout!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
I can't even begin to ask why a company would advertise the length of their rope with a handle. That's kinda like false advertising, either that or they've got a bunch on inadequate guys measuring their ropes. Anyway, if I bought a 75' rope it better be 75' without the handle....J-rod did the right thing and bought the accurate line which is 80' without the handle and measure correctly. Also worth mention is the 3' take-offs. What a kick a$$ rope that is.

Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-14-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
That's why I ride at 42'.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-15-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Man, that's wak. I'm gonna measure my Accurate line tonight. Good eye J-Rod.

Dude - Jose, "feel duped". For sure he was duped - at least out of 3' of rope. As a consumer I would have to say it is somewhat deceptive to even give lengths including a handle - unless the handle is attached to the rope in the packaging.

Magellan, you're on the West coast I see. Didn't you mean to say 142'? Give or take 5' of course.