Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-12-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Ready to change originals. Looking for info. Can get a pretty good deal on Goodyear Marathons. Open to other brands as well. Thoughts?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-13-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
After quite a bit of research I am not liking what I've read about the Goodyear Marathons. I found what I believe to be the best rated tire for my boat trailer. It is the only 14" trailer tire with a class D weight rating, the only 8 ply and a speed rating of 99mph. Everything else seems to have only a 60mph speed rating. They are not cheap at $100 each but you tend to get what you pay for. The only other choice is to move to a LT (light truck) tire to even get close to the ratings I was looking for.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-13-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
How bout the Carlisle Radial Trail? I am also going to replace mine - was looking at this one. Any inputs?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Maxxis trailer tires have been good for me... I think they are about the same price as the good year tires. I will never run Carlisle again - I have had two rip apart.
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-13-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
the guys on my old boat forum said stay away from Marathons....
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-13-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
trailer tires go bad cause they rot in the sun. and run low on psi. they should be replaced at least every 3 years. if your trailer tires are over 5 years old you are just asking for trouble. i think any trailer rated tire is good. just keep up on the air pressure.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Carlisle Radial Trails are great.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-15-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
FYI. Make sure you understand how to read the manufacturer date required by DOT so you are not sold an old tire. It happened to me and recently there has been more press on tires that have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for years. After 5-6 years most tires need to be replaced.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-18-2010, 12:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
After quite a bit of research I am not liking what I've read about the Goodyear Marathons. I found what I believe to be the best rated tire for my boat trailer. It is the only 14" trailer tire with a class D weight rating, the only 8 ply and a speed rating of 99mph. Everything else seems to have only a 60mph speed rating. They are not cheap at $100 each but you tend to get what you pay for. The only other choice is to move to a LT (light truck) tire to even get close to the ratings I was looking for.
What was it that you found?
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-18-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Buying a set of Maxxis tomorrow....