Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-07-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
So I was watching the BSU vs. Hawaii yesterday and they were showing surfing in hawaii then they said and in Idaho there is surfing too. Instead of showing wakesurfing in my backyard they showed this company in the river doing this. I'm all for new sports but this is closer to winching than surfing. What do you all think? I wish I knew how this guy got his company on ESPN.

Even Surf Company
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-07-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
I was pretty jealous to see that spot, don't know how he got it. But I agree it's more like skating that surfing...
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-07-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
i think it was more about its content then the company ...... parallels between the regions and finding a quirky common ground

hey jeff the board we purchased from you at spring fest has been an awesome addition to our boat .......catie is trying 3s on it and it has turned into the intermediate board for beginners ...... being able to adjust the fins to slow the board down is pretty cool
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
yea its stupid to call it surfing. its skim boarding in deep water lol. dont get me wrong, its probly a blast, but its not "surfing"
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-07-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Hi Frank, Good to hear the board is workin for. Pretty nice pics of Santa Cruz, looks like you Good...
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-07-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Sorry ment Got it Good...HAHA
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I was watching the BSU game too. When the commentator said you can surf in Idaho, I thought for sure they were about to show wakesurfing. I bet a lot more people in Idaho wakesurf than ride one of those boards with a bungee on the river.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-07-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Well, its not surfing if theres no wave..
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
I agree it is not surfing. But it looks really fun!!!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-07-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Perfect if you dont have a boat ,it reminds me of the grinch..
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjjamesz View Post
Well, its not surfing if theres no wave..
I absolutely agree with you, but it's kind of like riding a wakeboard on the cable vs. riding behind a boat. There's no wake at the cable park, but they still call it "wake" boarding.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-08-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
I absolutely agree with you, but it's kind of like riding a wakeboard on the cable vs. riding behind a boat. There's no wake at the cable park, but they still call it "wake" boarding.
but not everything about "wake"boarding involves the wake....same with wakeskating. rails, kickers, all behind a boat or a cable.
everything to do with surfing involves the wave..its like riding a bike without a bike. or saying your mountainbiking but your riding a scooter...on the sidewalk...
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       11-08-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Looks like a blast!
Looks lie a cross between Wake Skating and Wake Surfing Skim Style.
Love the Scenery
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-08-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
I think it looks lame as with cable parks...just my opinion.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-09-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
As others have said. Not surfing but deep water skim boarding.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-09-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
it goes to the whole concept of what is surfing?.... most surfers don't consider wake surfing or behind the boat surfing... surfing... skaters, no longer like to be referred to as sidewalk surfers. they have owned their sport, stolen a name a transformed that name into really a new meaning.... a skater is a skater (not a cement skater), an ice skater is an ice skater, and roller skating is well nearly non-existent.... some people like to call paddle boarding... 'surfing on the lake'... which I am sure many wake surfers would have issue with... unfortunately, anytime some sort of board is riddin while standing up on the water it is often first termed surfing in some manner... of course, surfing is so general these days that simply browsing web pages is referred to a web surfing, and I am sure plently of people have some couch surfing experience, whether literally or not....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
it goes to the whole concept of what is surfing?.... most surfers don't consider wake surfing or behind the boat surfing... surfing... skaters, no longer like to be referred to as sidewalk surfers. they have owned their sport, stolen a name a transformed that name into really a new meaning.... a skater is a skater (not a cement skater), an ice skater is an ice skater, and roller skating is well nearly non-existent.... some people like to call paddle boarding... 'surfing on the lake'... which I am sure many wake surfers would have issue with... unfortunately, anytime some sort of board is riddin while standing up on the water it is often first termed surfing in some manner... of course, surfing is so general these days that simply browsing web pages is referred to a web surfing, and I am sure plently of people have some couch surfing experience, whether literally or not....
i am frequently standing on my couch in a surfing manner....im not kidding here
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-12-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
they are riding a surfboard, so they are surfing
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-15-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
This is river surfing.

The bungee boarding does look like fun though.

Last edited by jtnz; 11-15-2010 at 6:49 PM. Reason: .
Old     (BungeeSurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-18-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Hello - I can answer some of your questions. We used to call this sport riverboarding, but we ran into several problems calling it that. There is another whitewater sport called riverboarding where guys ride big foam boogie boards, going face first down the river/rapids. They HATED us trying to call our sport riverboarding and we got a lot of flack from them. Also, when you would say riverboarding to people here in the Northwest, they would say "Oh yeah, I did that when I was a kid" - refering to kids that tie a piece of plywood to a bridge or tree and go back and forth across the river current. What we do is not at all like that, but once they got that in their mind, you could not change their mind. Bungee surfing is very hard for people to understand without showing them video. This sport has been known as bungee surfing in Europe for more than 10 years, so when we decided to change the name, we went with what Europe had already established. So blame Europe and the riverboarders for it being called surfing. It is interesting that almost all sports try to emulate surfing - I remeber that wakeboarding started as Skurfing? When poeple ask what bungee surfing is like, I often tell them it is a lot like wakeskating, but you don't need a $30,000 boat or $3 a gallon gas. We can do all the tricks that wakeskaters can do. Grinch winches are expensive too - $2,500. And I have bungee surfed in many places where we had to hike to the river and could never have carried a winch in there. Bungee surfing is also a "green" sport- winching and wakeboarding, not so green. If I lived by the ocean, I would be an ocean surfer, if I could afford a boat and gas, I would be a wakeboarder/wakeskater - both sports are incredible. But I am poor and live in Idaho, so bungee surfing is a great alternative. How did I get the sport on ESPN? Well, I tried 3 years ago when Hawaii came to town and failed - they did a "local" story on a pumpkin patch during that game. So this time I tried a little harder and they did a story on bungee surfing for the Hawaii game. I agree with Frank Wolter who said "more about its content then the company ...... parallels between the regions and finding a quirky common ground". There are parallels between bungee surfing and ocean surfing. There is always a "beach scene/beach party" when we are out surfing. What we do attracts so much attention that soon a crowd gathers along with our crew and the party is on. There are several surfers here in Idaho that have found "secret" spots to ride on the rivers, that they won't even tell me about!
Old     (BungeeSurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-18-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Standing wave surfing is great too, but good standing waves are hard to find. Here in Idaho there are only 2 decent standing waves to surf. The kind of water we need - Fast Glass - is everywhere. We need water that is at least 5 feet deep, moving fast, yet has a smooth surface.