Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Gauntlet is laid down my Midwest brethern. :-)

We had to have door replaced and so saved the REMOVED door, and doorknob. I did buy a 3/8 straight router bit and a tube of exterior glue. So we are into this a shade over $8. :-)

I'm sure you'll be interested in the build notes :-)

We started with the fin. Precisely 12" in depth and - umm, some width including the scallop effect.

James used the jigsaw and then beveled the leading edge with a bench grinder. 3/8" CDX ply - I'll bet the folks at Future's Air Fins are nervous, huh?

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
We routed the "fin box" into the door...err, I mean board. :-) A straight cut, 7/8" deep. The length was...well, whatever tha base of the fin was :-) Again, NOTHING but percision throughout. We opted, on this build, to use the newest methodology for fin attachment. From this photo I would estimate 7.32 pounds of exterior grade construction glue. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
This is a quick overall look at our new stick. Sweet ride, huh? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
What is a custom stick without custom paint?

We opted for the most obnoxious color that we could find, which coincidentally matches Dennis' dayglo trunks. :-) MarkIt Flourescent Pink - mark the ground for construction OR paint your custom stick. :-)

Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Now, we wanted to make sure that it was truly a surfdoor :-) So we attached one half of the old doorknob using a few sheetmetal screws and an over-abundance of glue :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
Surfdoor!

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Stay tuned, next week we intend to surf it behind the boat. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-12-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
Jeff,

There's a comedic rock band named the Electric Amish, with albums like "Barn to be Wild". Your surf door reminds me of a song by the Electric Amish, "We are an Amish Band". In the intro Carl says, "Hey Graeber that guitar sounds great" , Ya thanks, I carved it out of our old back door." "Dose knobs are kind of shiny dough", "Ya don't tell der parson".

See the Electric Amish web page at: http://www.electricamish.com/

And available on line is the very dialog I'm referencing, isn't the internet great, give it a listen here: http://www.electricamish.com/MP3/Amshband.mp3

I have an idea for a board but I've been busy planning for next year's events:-) I have some of my materials I just need to commit the time to work on it. So far I've spent $0.00.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
SWEET
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-13-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
Jeff, are you really going to surf it? Watch out for the knob, could be painful if you fall the wrong way.
Old    surfdad            11-13-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yep, that's our intent! :-) The surfdoor weighs a ton, we're still hoping it actually floats. :-) It's a solid door, weighs around 80 pounds I'm guessing. So, our plan is: standup on the board, pull it to speed SLOWLY and toss the rope. :-) If we can actually surf it we'll probably just get some pictures - flag our noses at the Midwesterners and call it a day. :-)
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
haha! jeff that thing is awsome! lets here some feed back after you ride it
Old    surfdad            11-14-2006, 4:31 AM Reply   
Hey Mike, if it floats, we'll invite you out...maybe you can throw a shuv on it? :-) Can you imagine the sound as it came around? :-) WHOOSH! :-)
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-14-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
jeff, haha! that would be the coolet looking shuv ever... but good luck getting that fin out of the water. haha!
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-18-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
Hi Jeff in what video is Slater tow surfing on a table? ;-)

... and I love essence of this pic
1988 plywood_barbados_surfer

Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-18-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
and peanut shape srfbrds looks funny too
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 4:37 AM Reply   
That is too funny! Slater on a table top. We are taking the surfdoor out today! Wish us luck, Hawaj.
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Bring it on Ed and the Midwestern Crew! :-)

Float test - Just to be sure :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
We had trouble getting it into a standard rack. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Sweet! I'm sure all the major manufacturers will be offering 'SurfDoors' soon. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
I think I ride better on this my any of my other boards, plus - pink, square with an exposed doorknob pretty much rocks, doesn't it? :-)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-19-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
How hard/easy was it to ride? Looks like James had the nose way in the air.

I've spent some time working on my entry this; I'm definitely working the recycling angle.

Now be honest did you really need a new back door?
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
The board was like a freight train, it could BUILD up quite a bit of top end speed, but getting to that point was AWFULLY slow.

If we had more time to mess with the speed and wake, I think we could have made it fairly easy to ride, but TRUTH BE TOLD, it was very hard, in it's current state.

The lack of nose rocker caused the outside corner to catch - that is why James was trying to keep the nose up and out of the water.

You couldn't turn it. The width along with the foot deep fin set at the very back made it surf just like you'd expect - a door! :-)

For me getting UP on the board was the hardest part, I had to get up like on a kneeboard - the length and width of the board made it swing wildly until you gained some speed and then I had to get up on one knee, the standup and then PULL yourself into the pocket. I'll post a sequence shot.

Honest to goodness Ed, we had this replacement door in the shop for at LEAST 6 months because the old door was delaminating - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :-)
Old    surfdad            11-19-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
This was as close as I could get to a sequence shot. I am already on one knee, but I actually had to start on two knees and then have the boat motor really slowly forward. If you look carefully, you can see the nose of 'surfdoor' is pointing out away from the wake - I had no control of it at this point. :-)

You can see in the last photo, 'surfdoor' took a bit of body english to maneuver into the pocket. :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-19-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
That would have broken my heart to be SURFING on that perfect butter, let alone surfing a pink door
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-19-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
Well Roddyrod we waited all day for anyone to come out on the butter and use it but nobody ever showed up. Even the fisherman wanted no part of it so we ruined the whole lake by wakesurfing. I guess we were the only ones tough enough to ride on water that nice. If you want to ride in butter you just have to do what it takes. Quit whining and get the boat out and ride. As you can see the conditions were nearly perfect. The toughest of us rode in trunks.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-19-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
YEAH Jeff thats sick! looks you guys were ridding the wake. thats awsome. i have to try that thing!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-19-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Even the big guy can ride "The Door". Upload Sorry for the picture orientation but I don't fit the other way.
Old    surfdad            11-20-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
I laughed so hard - elitism based on the choice of boards behind a boat?! People are so funny. :-) I can't even imagine developing a sense of entitlement over which type of board I rode. :-) The lake was pretty much empty, wasn't it Dennis? Not a good picture of you, but it does fit in the frame.

Hey Mike, it was fun. :-) The delamination is even worse now, and it seems to weight about 20 pounds more than when we started! :-) If it's still in one piece - or several small pieces that are still surfable, you're always welcome to a pull on 'surfdoor'.

Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-20-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
WOW thanx for fun Jeff!
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       11-20-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
haha thats sick
thanks
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-21-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Classic. Nice work, guys.
Old     (alecia_lts)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-22-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
thats just great! what will you come up with next....
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
I was working on my response to Jeff’s challenge last night. That was the first time that I've worked with fiber glass resins, I melted my mixing bowl - don't use Styrofoam. I did all of my work in my basement shop, and stunk up the whole house. Looks like I'll be finishing the project in the garage
Old    surfdad            11-22-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
LOL!!! Ed! There are NO POINTS for comedic value during construction! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
If there are no points for comedic value can you keep the door knob?

The resin puts me over budget but I'll press on. I'm probably buying the wrong stuff - Bondo brand fiber glass resin from the local super store, I bet I could find better and cheaper resin.
Old    surfdad            11-22-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
I wanted to adjust the one picture of Dennis, in this shot, Dennis got off to the wrong side of the wake and we just shifted everyone over to the "darkside", in an attempt to couteract the ballast...not such a good job of wake formation. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-22-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Hey Ed, resin is pretty expensive, are you using fiberglass cloth? You can apply resin to a bed sheet (if you don't get caught :-) ) or old t-shirts and get pretty much the same structural rigidity for the one or two time ride. :-)

Cheapest place to find resin and cataylst, that I have found is:

www.fiberglasssupply.com

or TAP Plastics - the cheap stuff is the non-surfboard clear.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
No, not using fiberglass cloth, T-shirts neither, I am working a recycling theme though.
Old    surfdad            11-22-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Recycling? As in trash? Cool. I'd love to make one from old coffee grounds and egg shells! :-)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-25-2006, 1:41 AM Reply   
Haha! Man, you guys are NUTZ! Looks like a good time.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
I have acquired the top secret core material for our latest entry. It's even a special color.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-28-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Dennis, I hope you haven't taken the screen door off the back of Jeff's house:-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Ed,
Never again a door. This entry will be a different animal.
Old    surfdad            11-28-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
So I can stop laminating all those holes in the screen?! :-) Hey, I want to know what the secret is!!!!!!! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-28-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Animals!!!! I'll call the SPCA!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
That board would have been way to thin. No way to attach a fin either. I could tell you what the top secret is but It is above your pay grade.
Ed,
I just saw a special about dolphins surfing the bow wake on ships.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-28-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
What kind of board were they using? Skim style or surf?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Body style.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-29-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
James, hope you don't mind - I just had to post, the shot of you surfing the door, on the Moomba board.

Great stuff!

Regards

Ed G
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-29-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
Thank you for posting it. Now other people can see how much fun wakesurfing is even if your just goofing off.

(Message edited by surfkid on November 29, 2006)