Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-01-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for all your advice that got me to this point. The boat finally showed up last night. Its a little crazy that I just bought this boat and I've NEVER been in a nautique before. My first impressions of the boat was that its dirtier than I expected and needs a lot more work. I've also been following the 2001 SAN winter project thread and got some ideas and courage. Here are some pictures of the first day. I cleaned it out. Took it to an upholstery shop and got a bid, then stripped interior out of it, cleaned in up and started the process. Here are the pictures
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-01-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
I forgot to take pictures after I cleaned it up.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-01-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
It amazes me how people treat these. Hope you got a good deal due to the neglect, good luck restoring it...almost funny that you have to "restore" a 9 yr old boat. Looking forward to the finished pics.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-01-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
The previous owner should be shot. enjoy your new ride
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
It amazes me how someone can abuse anything like that.

Enjoy the restoration, and keep us posted with your progress!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-01-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Rob, I hope you got a deal on that from deseret Industries!

Hats off to ya for taking on that project!
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
You would be surprised at how some of the boats out here in CL are treated by the owners kids. Not saying this is the case with this boat. Seems if you don't have to put any hard work into something it means you can trash it not worry about it.

My boat is a 01 and looks 100 times better than this project. Mine has a few dings and the trailer is being completely rebuilt in March, not from neglect, but from use.

I agree, the previous owner should be shot or at the very least hung from the tower upside down in the sun and rain so he looks like the interior of this boat.

A good scrubbing and some money and you'll have a great boat.

Change all the fluids, fuel filter and the impeller b4 you fire it up.
Old     (jhebert)      Join Date: May 2007       03-01-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
if you dont mind me asking how much did you give for it...im just wondering what a boat in that kind of shape is worth ??
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Holy crap thats hammered! I can't imagine neglecting anything like that let alone my boat. I'm interested to see how it turns out for you, keep us posted.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-01-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
It was all documented in the other thread but I paid $16,250 for it.
$150 for transport to Utah
$260 for an ACME 644
$950 to do the complete interior upholstery...I agreed to do the removal/ install of the upholstery for a discount...

I didn't think it would be as much of a project as it is.....But I love boats. I'm like a rehab center. I take boats that have been down on their luck and get them back on thier feet.

Next on the list....move the speakers to the front.
The seller is sending me the burnt out gauges. The local dealer said he would warranty them.
Trailer is gonna be black.
Needs some tower speakers.
The original ad said it had subs...looks like the seller yanked em, infact only one of the speakers seemed to be hooked up and was buzzing.
I pulled the center pylon, I figure I'll put a cup holder there...it has a rear tow point and I don't ski.

Do you need special fluids to service the V-drive?
Will be getting an oil change, impeller, etc.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
That sounds like a good deal for the interior. Is that price for material and labor? Give me some more info please, I need to do the same with my boat and thought it was like 3000 to do it.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-01-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
Rob, i can't wait to see what you do with it.

keep posting pictures.

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
Good luck man, should be gratifying when your done!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-01-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
I've always wanted to take on a project like this... congrats and have fun, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-01-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
WOW....Have you started it? Someone that neglected a boat that much probably never even changed the oil.
Old     (vr6mole)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-02-2009, 4:52 AM Reply   
Looks like you are off to a good start. Ryan(liquid-diet) and I are doing the 2001 SAN build thread...if you have any questions feel free to bounce them off of us and we will do our best to help.

That engine cover picture brought a tear to my eye.

How many hours were on the boat?
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-02-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Why would anyone treat a boat like that--at least it is a good base to start with and the price seems reasonable for the condition--good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-02-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Rob,

I would change every fluid in it irregardless of what the previous says he might have changed. The V-drive gear box takes regular automotive 30W. I use a synthetic 30W because I am anal. You can get Royal Purple on Ebay. I also use Royal Purple ATF in the trans too. The engine needs an oil with zinc wear additives in it. The oil standards changed several years ago due to the EPA and they took some wear additives out because most new motors use a roller drivetrain. This motor is an old school flat tappet style drive train. There are several that will work, but I use valvoline VR1 because my local part store carries it. Use a motorcraft or Wix filter as they are both premium brands.

All of the above items are pretty cheap insurance for a solid running boat for many many hours......

My boat was in as bad or worse condition. It took me 50+ hors of wet sanding and buffing to get the dock rash out. I had to install a new rub rail and redo all the stripes. Then it took another 50 or so hours to clean up the interior and redo some seats. My boat was a doctors boat and I dont think he ever cleaned it.

Your hard work will payoff.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-02-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
Great job on the pics and keeping updated. I got your PM the other day and was interested on what it looked like. Just take it easy and do it right and you will have one GREAT wake boat. We will be heading to the lake as soon as the ice breaks (almost there), let me know if you want to get a taste of the SANTE wake with stock weight.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-02-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
I love threads like this, thanks much for sharing!

How can one person seriously treat a boat that poorly and/or do THAT much damage?!?

Keep the pics coming!
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-02-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Rob looks like you are off to a good start, looks like you have everything figured out, but like Matt said if you have any questions let one of us know.

Can wait to see the progress!
Old    dhorton            03-02-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Rob ~ Nice find, looks like a major project for sure. Josh told me last week someone on WW bought a 2000 SAN for 16K, I think my response was something like “you’re smoking crack”. Assuming the boat is mechanically sound you will have one heck of a ride once you complete all you projects. I’m not sure if the ski locker is the same size in you 2000 as my 2002, but if it is the fly high pro-x rear seat sack is a perfect fit. As soon as the ice is off come take a pull behind my 2002 to get an idea of what your wake will be like.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-02-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
The previous owner should not be allowed to own a boat.....as the other person noted he should be shot!

Can't wait to see your update pics and bring that boat back to life.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Rob,

Are you going to get the trailer painted?
and if so how do you go about it. I'm looking to get my trailer painted and i want to know if i need to have the boat off it when it gets painted and what other prep work would need to get done.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
My trailer is Linexed, is that an option? I didn't do it so I don't have any idea how much it costs. My boat is Cliff Griffin's old boat and I would guess he is the one who had it done so he may know.

The linex is nice. It is really easy to clean and you don't have to worry about scratching it.
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-02-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
I don't think it looks too bad. I think once you get it cleaned up good it will look a lot better. It is amazing what a good clean up can do.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-02-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Rob i have to ask...what was your favorite boat?
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-02-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Sweet lookin project! Can't wait to see the updates!
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-02-2009, 10:23 PM Reply   
$950 For the interior sounds like a great deal! The 3 top back engine panels are 1000 from the factory for mine. I figure i'll just wait til' next year and get my whole boat done/upgraded!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-02-2009, 11:52 PM Reply   
WTF
the PO should get shot...twice...in the ass.

keep it up buddy!
older 210 rocks!
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-03-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
I can't believe how some people pay $50-$60G's on a boat and then just pretty much throw it in the garbage. I see it all the time. Blows me away. Those are probably the same people who say owning a boat is such a pain and a waste of money. Looks like you know what you're doing and you're gonna have a great boat when you're done.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-03-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the comments! I'm excited about the project....When I first saw it I was pretty bummed, but after just one day I'm feeling better about it. Amazing what a wash job can do.

Anyway, I'm 6'5" Has anyone moved the drivers seat so that a normal sized person can fit?
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-03-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   

quote:

Thanks for all the comments! I'm excited about the project....When I first saw it I was pretty bummed, but after just one day I'm feeling better about it. Amazing what a wash job can do.

Anyway, I'm 6'5" Has anyone moved the drivers seat so that a normal sized person can fit?

I'm not sure, maybe they changed something, but I'm 6'3" and can easily fit in the drivers seat on my '06 SAN with the seat moved all the way forward up against the dash. With the seat moved all the way back I have to reach out my arms to reach the steering wheel.

I have a buddy who is 6'7" and has an '03 SAN and when he sits in his seat he has plenty of room also...
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-03-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
Wow can't believe the vinyl can get like that so fast! My 87 is still rip-free. You will be sooooo happy with this baby!
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-03-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Rob,
Good wholesome fun! Keep us posted on the progress.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
I agree with everyone on the fact that the previous owner should be shot and so should his kids if they did this to their gift. I recently saw an '06 Malibu VLX that belonged to a doctor and it was beat to hell. My '96 Prostar 205 looked like new when I sold it in '07 and I can not believe that people would not take care of something that they spent so much money on either
Old     (swatkinz)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
Billy, You talkin about the burguny boat at southern with the gouges all over the gelcoat? if so, that guy's idea of boat maintenance is right in line with the PO of this SAN. I take good care of my stuff and there is the occasional gelcoat nick in fiberglass where a stray board hits the back of the boat, but man i don't even think I could scar a boat that badly if i tried. it's almost as if they went out of their way to destroy the boat.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-06-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
A little tip from experience. Use stainless fasteners on everything and throw out the fasteners your new speakers come with. Use only nuts with nylon inserts, no lock washers or you'll find them in your bilge as they work loose. If the interior is installed by your upholstery company, make sure they have nylon nuts on everything.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
lots of really good info in this thread! Must mean something is working if they dont change too much in the years between 86 and 2000. A lot of that stuff is very very similar to my boat and some of the stuff like the drivers seat is the same. I used to think my drivers seat was cramped until I started adding 2000 pounds of ballast. Now my seat is all the way forward and im going to unbolt it and move it a little more just so i can get a little better visibility. Its definately nice that the seats slide the way they do in a Nautique
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
"I can't believe how some people pay $50-$60G's on a boat and then just pretty much throw it in the garbage."

To be fair, that boat wasn't anywhere close to 50 or 60 grand back in 2000 and he got almost 20 out of it 9 years later. Not bad really when you think about 9 years of hard use and not worrying about it. I'd never treat something like that, but maybe his time was worth more to him working a few extra hours a week instead of using that time cleaning and maintaning a toy. If you make a ton of cash, it makes sense actually.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-06-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
^^^^I disagree. Simple maintenance and taking care of your boat probably cost this guy about 6000 dollars. If the boat would have been in better shape, I think the owner could have gotten 22,000 for it. And the little time to maintain the boat pays off in the end. It saves on major maintenance that comes with neglect.

If I got on that boat and saw the condition, I probably would worry if we would make it back to shore without having to be towed back in, or having to swim the boat back.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
My point is exactly. So 6k over the course of 9 years. And lets face it, we all put quite a few hours into cleaning, waxing, polishing, changing fluids, etc...etc.....to keep our boats in pristine condition. Well what if this dude make 100+ bucks an hour. It would make more sense for him to just work those hours and eat the 6 grand on the back end and let the next guy worry about the neglect. There are obviously people willing to buy.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-06-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Why not hire someone to do it for you then? It would have been cheaper than 6,000 over the course of 9 years. Dry-rotted vinyl doesn't necessarily signify hard use, just someone too lazy to wipe and down and put a little protector on it every now and then.

And the boat's MSRP in 2000 was approx. 43,000 as much as 50,000 depending on options.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Some rich people on this board.... I make good money but I wouldn't treat my boat like that!

Though - I will say this -- I am looking at the thread wishing I had an older SAN just so I could fix it up (I like doing that kind of stuff)....
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-06-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I was in Eastern Wa. a few weeks back heading to a buddy's house when I saw a 1-2 year old Wakesetter in someone's driveway with a stock type mooring cover that had collapsed into the boat with a lot of snow in it. I could'nt believe it.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-06-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Give Rob some time with this boat and you'll never know it was abused.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Rob your a brave man! I also bought "a fixer upper" but not to the degree of yours. Good luck take your time and it will all work out. I have had mine a little over a year and i have the interior and dash panels left.My interior was not nearly as bad as yours so i decided to get a year out of it the way it was. I will get it done next winter. But keep the pics of your project coming love to see her when it all comes together.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-08-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Last night I switched out the prop. The old one felt like it would never come off. I guess after 9 years of being attached it was almost a part of it. By the way, for any of you that don't want to buy an ACME puller you can always get a rental tool from Autozone like the one in the pics. I had to crank it down really tight and then tap it with a hammer -lightly- then it popped off. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
I love my ACME prop. Better performance and noticeably smoother.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Drool awesome boat and awesome project. I am about to get a new prop as well. For my 87 SunSport the prop (an OJ 3-blade 13.25 x 10.5) is $420!

Fresh Air Exhaust goes on next!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
I need some help getting a part. The cap that goes on the starboard side rubrail that is missing...Well at the dealership they only sell chrome ones now, for $35 each. Thats too much for my little budget. Does anyone know where I can get one of those for cheap...Black plastic prefered. Thanks
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-10-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
I would just wait for the chrome. The rope can get caught on those and will rip them right off.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Does this look right.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=100225F
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
Brett..Looks almost right, infact probably close enough if I can't find the right one. The ones on the boat are tapered at the top corner. But that is not a bad option....

Ok, so I've been looking around for a sub for the past few days and managed to pickup something for around $20. The kid was supposed to supply a box for it but didn't. I got bored tonight and made my own. Since I wanted it to fit under the dash, but there also needed to be space for the fuse box and some heater vents I made the box shaped a little differently. Take a look. P.S. It sounds great!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-11-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
nice box!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
Wow, incredible project. Good luck with it!

BTW, did your Yukon find it hard to stop as you drove it home?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-12-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Great job Rob, from the looks of the cameras the lake has broke from the ice. I'm not sure this weekend we will be out due to planning winching some water to ice transfer. Next weekend we might be at the lake with David's SANTE if your interested.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
How many upholstery shops did you quote? Are they going to keep the factory lines or ? I am planning on doing the same, but I am worried about spending so much $ Looks like a fun project, good luck!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-18-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
I did a boat last year, first quote was for $3k. This guy did the upholstery and carpet for $1,500. On this boat I bargained with him, I'm doing the removal and install myself. I'm doing it all the same lines, no decals, all white and red.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Just a quick update: As I now have two boats I worked on them both on Saturday, changing oil, fluids, filters etc. I then took out the hard tanks from the nautique and took it to the powerwasher to do the carpet. After $8.00 in quarters the carpet had a long way to go. Luckily my buddy showed up who happened to have access to a professional powerwasher/ steam cleaner. After another hour of spraying it down the difference is amazing. Its rediculous how much dirt the carpet can hold! Sorry I didn't take before and after pictures, but the carpet under the hard tanks seemed to be almost solid from the grime and oil. Also the ski locker seemed to have a ton of oil coating the inside of it. I'll try to get pics up later. And the upholstery should be done any day now. Does anyone know why the drain at the back of the ski locker is about an inch up from the bottom?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Oh, and an updated list of projects remaining to do:
1. recarpet the trailer bunks.
2. Paint the trailer.
3. Wet sand and wax the boat.
4. Get guages back from old owner and try to exchange.
5. Mount Dash.
6. Get a flip down stereo cover.
7. Reinstall upholstery.
8. I believe I'm going with Kicker KMT6's on the tower.
9. Rubrail end pieces. $70 plus tax--chrome and sweet looking but too expensive.
10. Mount speakers inside the boat.
11. Paint various windshield frame parts.
12. Put a cup holder where the old ski-plyon was.
13. Sand and re-chrome or paint the board racks.
14. Replace the board rack rubber insert.
15. Repair a couple of little chips on the hull.
16. Sand and oil the teak platform.
17. Replace shifter knob with a skull one from Autozone.
18. Add extra bags to the back. ( I really don't want to redo the whole ballast system, I'm hoping the stock will function and I can put bags on top of the hard tanks. Though it is amzing how deep the compartments are without the tanks. I wish the floor was at that level through the whole boat.
19. Sandbags in the ski-locker.
20. Find something to make the finish on the tower shine.
21. Guild pole covers.
22. Figure out why there is a metal pin duct taped into the coupler.
23. Fill with gas and ride the crap out of it all summer long.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
No idea why the drain is up so high, ran into same problem when we pressure washed the SAN 2 weeks ago. We ended up routing hole lower so it would drain fully. Also started spraying the bow compartments and noticed the water wasn't draining fully since there is only a drain in very front. So added a drain hole from bow into ski locker to trickle down. I'll have to post pics on my SAN winter project thread.

Did the pile come back up on the carpet after pressure washing? Ours really didnt, cleaner yes, fluffy no.

Keep up the good work, cant wait to see the new interior.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-23-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
#22 If you're referring to the trailer, it may be the pin you insert for backing up steep grades. It basically bypasses the surge brakes. I have one hanging by a cord from my DHM trailer.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-23-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Thanks Rod. Mark #22 off the list.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-28-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Ok, I'm so deep in this think sometimes I feel like I'll never finish. Luckily my dad is a patient man and my mom is out of town. I don't have my own garage right now so I've completely taken over theirs. Here are the pics.
Upload
Cleaned carpet!
Upload
Pulled the hard tanks and ordered 540 lb bags.
Upload
My BOY!
Upload
Moved the rails back on the drivers seat so that I can fit (6'5")
Upload
Clean Carpet
Upload
Clean Carpet
Upload
Messy Garage
Upload
Sanding on the trailer
Upload
Touch up paint on the lifter.
Upload
The hard tanks are out! I can't believe how much room is down there now.
Upload
I moved the dials around on the console and put a grill over the speaker. I couldn't find a way to move it to the front.
Upload
The Grill
Upload
Starting to put some pieces back in.
Upload
Starting to paint the trailer. And I got some guide post cushions, THANKS Marcus at Croft Marine!
Upload
Sanded and painted the forks on the board racks. The chrome was all coroded and flaking off. I think the black will look good.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps back.
Upload
More trailer parts. I sanded the forks, and notice the pads are recarpeted on the tool box.
Upload I think the black trailer looks way better than faded purple.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-29-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
The carpet and trailer look great!
Old     (vr6mole)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-29-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
check out our 2001 SAN project thread for ideas on how to mount the speaker on the front of the driver side pod.

Notice you are going with the 540 bags. Would you be interested in selling one of the ballast level senders? One of ours took a crap.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-29-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
Nice work
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Updated list of projects remaining to do:

1. recarpet the trailer bunks. --Did the front, I may leave the side ones by the wheels off for now.--
2. Paint the trailer. --Just got started--Will need to finish with the boat off the trailer. --
3. Wet sand and wax the boat.
4. Get guages back from old owner and try to exchange. --Dude sent them to the wrond address-- Says he will try again if they get returned.--
5. Mount Dash.
6. Get a flip down stereo cover. --bought one but it may not work due to the curves of the panel.--
7. Reinstall upholstery. --Upholstery is almost done, I'm just working the guy to make sure he does a good PROFESSIONAL job.--
8. I believe I'm going with Kicker KMT6's on the tower. --These may be on hold as I'm over budget--
9. Rubrail end pieces. $70 plus tax--chrome and sweet looking but too expensive. --Trying to make some--
10. Move speakers to the front. -Waiting on upholstery.--
11. Paint various windshield frame parts.
12. Put a cup holder where the old ski-plyon was. --Hole may be too smalll, thinking about reinstalling it. I Just thought that a cup holder would be a great place for soap, keys etc that you remember before hopping in the water.--
13. Sand and re-chrome or paint the board racks. -Forks all painted up and looking nice. I still need to polish remaining chrome and mount the racks--
14. Replace the board rack rubber insert. -I bought some fuel line that I think will work.
15. Repair a couple of little chips on the hull.
16. Sand and oil the teak platform.
17. Replace shifter knob with a skull one from Autozone.-- Not a high priority item but they're only $12.--
18. Add extra bags to the back. ( I really don't want to redo the whole ballast system, I'm hoping the stock will function and I can put bags on top of the hard tanks. Though it is amzing how deep the compartments are without the tanks. I wish the floor was at that level through the whole boat. --Ordered the bags for around $50 each. I was stoked on the deal, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I also have some 350lb bags around that I may use on top of the hard tanks. I don't want to buy pumps as I'm already over budget. --
19. Sandbags in the ski-locker.
20. Find something to make the finish on the tower shine. --Going to try pledge--
21. Guild pole covers. --Done--
22. Figure out why there is a metal pin duct taped into the coupler. --Thanks Rod--
23. Tongue jack went bad. I need to mount the new one.
25. I have some tower lights I'm going to mount.
26. Figure out if heater works...Does anyone know if the engine has to be running?
27. Replaced one bearing buddy.
23. Fill with gas and ride the crap out of it all summer long.

New items seem to pop up all the time but thats the update for now.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-29-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
26. Heater don't work unless your underway.

You might want to try and run the Super Air with stock weight and see how you like it. We just rode yesterday and everybody was booted off the stock ballast. Check out some wake pics at www.downfortheride.com Great job so far on the boat!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Josh, sweet pics. I'm not man enough to ride with you this early. I should have been snowmobiling yesterday but the wife was out of town so I just worked on the boat. So on the heater will the fan not even come on with out being underway?

As for the ballast, does your friends SAN have the front bag as well? or just the back like mine? I'm so sick of flat wakes that I just really want to build a monster wake that is scary big. You know how tough that is to do on Utah Lake. Plus I mostly end up ridding with just the wife and kids so I can't count on people weight.

I guess that with how little I actually go camping I don't really need the extra storage space but it really is impressive how much bigger the area is without the tanks in there. I'll have to think about it. I can always drop the 540's in the Maristar and put the 350's above the stock tanks. You mentioned that you had an extra bag lying around? Would it work well for the locker?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-29-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Rob ~~ The fan to the heater should come on but will be cold until your under way! Hit up David with a PM aon his profile http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=dhorton-users for questions on the locker sack. Yes he has a sack in the locker but not sure the weight. The bag I have I would guess it at 300 or so. With the Super air you don't need a ton of weight or people to get a GREAT wake.
You need to get out with David and see what the SANTE stock wake is all about. Once you get used to it and good form you will FLY!
Not bad for Stock!
Upload
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-30-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
Rob...

you should have your board rack forks powder coated. It looks like you used a normal spray paint... your boards will probably chip that paint easily... even bugs will do it. Just a suggestion. Everything looks good!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
You picked the right boat. Gonna look nice when you're done.

Upload

Throw about 2k in and the wake will stand up big time.
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
cliff, i have the EXACT same boat. 2000 SAN same colors. weird seeing someone else with a picture of it haha.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-02-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
Hey rob did you recarpet the boat or just clean it? If you just cleaned it what did you use to clean it? Looks great.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Agreed with swat guy, what did was your recipe for cleaning the carpet?
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
By Rob (robandrus)
Thanks Rod. Mark #22 off the list.

I would make sure the brakes are all legit before checking that off the list. People do this to bypass broken brakes in a bind.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-04-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
I used a commerial grade powerwasher to spray it out. Truly amazing, and disgusting how much dirt came out. Then I ran my moms carpet cleaner over it. Honestly it didn't seem to add that much. Hope this helps. I'm pretty excited with the way it came out.