Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
This question is for riders with COLD winters , who store their boats out in our fridged outdoors. I flushed my boat with RV anti freeze that was rated at -50. Checked my boat the other day and the antifreeze was crystalized. Just wondering, if those that use this, drain it after flushing your boat or leave the anti freeze in it. This is the second time it's happened me. Did this to me a couple of years ago everything was fine, but still worries me.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-22-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Did you drain the block then put the anti-freeze in?

Sounds to me like the Antifreeze has been watered down....
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-22-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Tell us more about what you mean when you say "Crystalized" ...

RV antifreeze will get slushy around 0 degrees. It however does not begin to expand its volume until -50 degrees. The phase change and expansion of volume of the substance it what causes your block or components to crack.

If its slushy you are fine.

You should as Brit pointed out be flushing the water from the block before adding the antifreeze, otherwise the solution is diluted of coarse.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Everything was completely drained. I even run a second batch of straight anti freeze though it because of the past years experience. I'm very careful when winterizing it. It is inside a shed but it was -43C here and -54C with the wind so im a little concerned. If I drain it after winterizing it, is there any seals that i should be concerned about drying out when it sits for 7 months.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-22-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
straight anti-freeze will freeze..
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
It's not as hard as the ice you put in your whiskey but it doesn't pour out like a slushy at 7 eleven.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-22-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
mine always turns to slush as well but it's never froze solid
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have only used a 50/50 mix of Prestone for
the past 20 years. It never gets slushy Ive never
had a problem here in NW Indiana. When spring comes I use two 5 gal buckets under the exhaust
and flush out the antifreeze before going to the lake.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-22-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
If you are using RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) it works well from 50% to 100% by mass as an antifreeze. Automotive antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is most effective as an antifreeze at a 50/50 mix.
Pure RV antifreeze does not really freeze. If you have an 85%mix by volume of RV antifreeze you should be in good shape so if you've drained the lines and block, and then added the RV stuff don't worry.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-22-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
If you read the bottle, it will say it is "burst proof" to 50 below. As was stated above, it will crystalize, but it won't expand. I'd say if they are guaranteeing it to 50 below, it is good even further.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-22-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
they make a 100 below that is what we use and it also helps with not rusting or eating on seals. the 50 is usilly for water systems and has alcohal in it. it will cristalize but is good to 50 below what we found.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Where did you get the stuff that's rated for -100.The lowest I could find is -50.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-22-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Mercruiser makes it and most dealers carry it
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       01-22-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I live in alberta and have used RV antifreeze(-50*C) in my travel trailer for 20+ years and never had any freezing problems. It was so cold last year that the linoleum and tub surrounds in some trailers cracked in storage. If rv antifreeze won't crack copper or plastic lines you should be fine.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Im in manitoba, and we can get some long cold snaps. I also used this stuff in my camper, and my sprayer. They all seem to be crystalized. Now you now my concern.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-22-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
I know this is absolutely no help at all, but you really should move.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-22-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
i drain my block and then flush antifreeze through all the hoses and the exhaust manifolds. i don't leave anything in it. i believe (not for sure) that this is the method that 'some' boat dealers will use if you have them winterize your ride.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Me and my wife take about it all the time.