Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (tonys)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-04-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
I am still having problems doing full wake to wake jumps. Most of the time I land on top, or just short of the down side of the wake. I am taking an aggressive cut, and bending my knees, and arms slightly, standing at the top of the wake, cutting through, and all of the stuff I know is important. I can land them once in a while, but don't know what I did right. My boat throws a small,wide wake. I am on 60' of no streach rope, with a short pylon off the back of the boat. Any advice would be appreciated, I want to land in the flats! Tony
Old    damnation            09-04-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
Pull the handle to you in the air. This should give you enough momentum to clear the wake instead of casing it.
Old    lakesideluver            09-04-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
honestly i would shorten your rope some until you get it down, then add it back as you progress
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-04-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
take a little bit slower and more rounded approach instead of chrging stright into the wake. by doing this it will keep the line tight. right before you hit the wake, straighten your shoulders to face the boat and act like you are in a tug of war against the boat. keep your shoulders and the board perpendicular to the boat, make sure you do not flatten out or turn the board just before the wake.
Old     (tonys)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-04-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, I will try all of the above. As I told my buddy, when I get the pop, I don't seem to have the speed, and when I have the speed, I lack the pop to make it across. I'll get it sooner or later. Thanks, Tony
Old                09-18-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
Work on the pop - not the speed at this stage. Mike was right - shorten your rope until you get it down then as you start to land past the far wake start to let it out.

If you go fast enough you can always clear the wake but that is NOT what you want. Dont go out as far, slower approach, concentrate on going up, shorten the rope so you are not casing the wake. Soon you will be letting the rope out to 70' and going way up (assuming you learn the fundamentals).
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
Not about speed or momentum! at the wake stand tall and try to pop straight up and not try to reach the other wake. even got for a grab, this does two things. you have to pop up and secondly if you cant grab or slap the board it means your too agressive on your cut.

reading your above reply looks like you have a timing problem! one thing that i see most is boarts that are set up wrong!
Old                09-18-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have a similar question. I am a little unsure of what people refer to as the "pop" I have no problem clearing the wake but when I hit the wake I jump up similiar to jumping on skies. Am I supposed to jump up when leaving the wake or is the wake supposed to throw me up.

Galen
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-19-2003, 7:16 AM Reply   
POP is the lift you get at the wake. It is caused by physics. Its to do with having a progressive edge to the wake and at the top of the wake the line must be at maximum tension. As your riding up the wake you need to be standing tall almost pushing down as you reach the top, Definately NOT lifting your legs up, this is done after you leave the wake but when learning dont think aboiut it, just bend your knees on landing to absorb the shock.

pop feels like a mini explosion under your board pushing you straight up. Slow motion a video and watch the board as it hit the top of the wake

Progressive Edge (not speed or perpendicular angle)+ line tension at the top of the wake=The pop.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Andrew, that was one of the best explanations of "Pop" I have read.

When we going riding again?
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
sounds like my problem is too much speed, and then when I do hit the wake, I am forced to absorb the pop with my knees... otherwise I would probably fly for a 100 feet and end up wadded up on my head... I'll try the progressive edge with minimal speed, angled towards the wake rather than straight on... I have to get this down, I just have to!
Old                08-07-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
I just wated 45minutes of butter yesterday working on w2w. Still casing it. Son says I'm crashing through the wake rather than launching off of it. My wake is better @ 20mph, but was trying 22 just to get distance. I'll be adding 350 more next time out hoping to have a bigger wake @ 22.
Old                08-07-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
That was wasted butter and 350 lbs more.
Old                08-09-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
just try and take a progressive cut at wen hit thie wake and ur in the air pull the rope to ur hip hip, as ur cutting into it keep the board on edge.

Mark is so right lol.

Matt
Old                08-13-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
i will agree with everybodys advise but poping is different for everybody you need a good cut and don't just stand at the top of the wake, try to jump up at the top of the wake. deffinetly shorten your rope a little and if all else fails try a little more boat speed and see if that helps
Old     (grok)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
I haven't gotten the w2w down yet but I thought you were not supposed to jump at the top of the wake. Instead just stand tall. That's just what I read....
Old                09-13-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
What your doing is maby backing out on your cut as you near the wake

like your cuttion hard but you slow down as you get close to the wake thus you loose all you momentum

try to stay in your cut through the whole jump
Old                09-14-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
Here are the few key ingredient that made my w2w jumps sail.

1) dont cut out very far leading up to your jump. Only cut out about half as far as you think you need to.

2) BUILD speed to the wake, don't hold it from the turn in. It takes way too much strength to hold you edge from the moment you turn into the wake all the way through the top of it. Start slow and BUILD the pressure/speed so you are feel the MOST pressure while you are hitting the wake, not at the beginning of the turn.

3) Just as you hit the dish of the wake, (the bottom just before it rises), consciously dig your heals in, and pull the handle to your hips, not your waist.

after those 3 things, you just 'ride' the wake up, and will get 'popped' You'll know it when it happens. ;)

Point 3 is really what made the MOST difference for me...

(Message edited by sl4ppy on September 14, 2004)
Old     (porsche4me)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-14-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
Probably not the best advice but what worked for me was to start on top of the wake and edge down it and out as far as I could.

Wait for the slack to catch and as soon as it catches(very important if you wait to long you loose the mometum and start drifting back in) edge all the way at the wake.

Once you get to the bottom of the wake let up your edge and make sure you keep the handle close to your hip(if you don't do this it will make you go off axis).

You should have built up enough speed to carry you way out into the flats. This isn't the best technique but it works good until you get used to jumping.

The way I look at it is do whatever it takes to accomplish your goal and then work on the basics like progressive edging and line control.

This is just what works for me because its more of a mind game then technique, if I spend forever working on the right progressive edge and never clear the wake consistanly I get frustrated and quit.

You might also want to increase the speed of the boat a little. It makes the wake smaller but you can get more speed approaching the wake.

(Message edited by porsche4me on September 14, 2004)
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-15-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
It may work for you but I wouldn't recommend learning incorrect techniques, just to accomplish a goal. The goal should not be to just get across the wake, it should be get across the wake with proper technique. Much of how you advance in wakeboarding relies on muscle memory. If you get into the habit of speeding across the wake while not on edge, your body will get used to those motions. Once you establish bad technique, it is a hard habit to break. It is often considered easier to teach someone something that has no experience than it is to teach someone that has bad technique since old habits die hard.

Anyway, I would recommend taking the advice around good technique. Progressive edge, stay on edge, keep the handle in and stand tall. I used to think I had to cut far out to make it across and now can do it with just a couple feet with good height (of course a longer cut can generate more height and more distance however, it does generate more speed which makes coordinate the tasks more difficult).

After you learn how to do it correctly, muscle memory will kick in and it will become second nature without thinking about it.
Old                09-15-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
I just don't get it. My vid shows all I'm really missing is the standing tall part. But when I'm riding I make an effort to be sure to. Maybe not standing tall enough? Knees are still bent at take off. I'll review the vid some more. It's an 18mb file or I'd just put it up for those who know could point out my biggest faults.