Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    andrew05style            09-12-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
2006 MasterCraft X-1 (same hull as 2005 X-2, i think) OR 2006 Tige 20v ??????????

Which boat has the better wake.....?

Value for money?

How do they compare to the 2006 Tige 22V?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
i have a 2004 tige 20v and my buddy has an 04 X-2 and the wakes aare rather simular.
Advantages for 20v.
-The boat doesnt take as much weight to make the wake huge
-wider boat
-TAPS2 system
-lifetime warrenty
-One of the best wake surf wakes
-Insane stereo

X-2(x-1) Advantages.
-Very good resale value.
-Better wirering and such.
-Much lighter boat
-More ski/tube friendly

This weekend i went out with my friend and the X-2 had a very very similar wake to my 20v. We had 2 350 sacs in the middle/bow, 2 300s in the back compartments and the triple up ballast. In the 20v we put in stock ballast and 7 50pound sandbags(350lbs) and sometimes we'll stick a 500lbs sac in the bow which makes the wake aa few inches bigger than the x-2 with 1350+ballast.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Its gona be hard to beat the 06 x-1 for the money I think the sticker on that boat is going to be starting at under 40k, and Jason is right the resale on a mastercraft is very strong.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-12-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Never spent much time behind a Tige, but the wake on the X1 is absolutely sick. I don't think there is anyone here that's ridden behind a properly weighted X-star/X2/X1 that will whine about the wake.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
I dont know much about the wake on the Tige either, except one time at a comp in Texas the outlaw riders refused to ride behind the Tige. You are right Evan, yet to here someone bitch about a properly weighed out X2 or X star and the 06 x-1 is basically an 05 x-2, if iam not mistaken.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
The X-1 will put out an awesome wake second only to the Super Air. You can weight the livin crap out of it and the wake just get's bigger and harder.

The 20V has a nice wake and a ton more room inside, but the wake will never compare to the X-1 no matter how much weight you add to it.

The Tige will only take so much weight before the lip will start to roll so your limited in how big you can get it.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
The X-1 starts under 40k, But if you want to make it like the 05' X-2, you will spend around 50k. I love the the X-2 wake! I have never been behind a 20v, but I have a 23v Tige and love it also.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   

quote:

The 20V has a nice wake and a ton more room inside, but the wake will never compare to the X-1 no matter how much weight you add to it.

I don't think the 20v is that much bigger on the inside, just slightly deeper...maybe. The second part of the quoted statement, is absolutely true.

I say X2.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
I have quite a bit of experience in a 05 x-2 and I have been in and behind a 04 20V 4 or so times.

The 20V & X-1 are very similar inside for size, the fit and finish of the x-2 is better but the functionality of the 20V is better. The 20V reminds me of a hot tub, very deep and fully wrapped around, the X-2 is more open with walk through bow, wider open plan but less seating.

20V has a lot more storage than the X-2 which IMO has just barely enough.

Wake performance:
These boats are very different when it comes to weighting, the X-2 is kinda small & wimpy with small amounts of weight but grows quick when you load them up. The 20V is pretty decent with small amounts of ballast but doesn't really get much bigger as you through weight in it.
In summary: X-2 is one of the best wakes available. 20V is ok but needs rediculous amounts of weight to fatten it up to jaw drop proportions. 20V is more rampy & probably more dense without much character or lip. A weighted up X-2 will give you wet dreams or nightmares depending on how you are wired.

Does the 20V come with a factory ballast system? The X-2 ballast system is pretty good, a sac in the walkway with a bit of lead in the front and a few people it is enough for a solid fun wake.
Old    wakebmxer            09-12-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
I am sorry but there is no comparing a Mastercraft and a Tige. Mastercraft is far better. The Tige is still made of wood and the wake is not as good.
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
hey darren it doesnt come wth the sacs just the TAPS if im not mistaken.

everyone is right about the x-2 havng just about the nicest wake with the booger weighted down enough

ill tell you what tommorw i'll pump up all my stuff and get a picture of the wake on the 20v.

Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
Oh boy, I can feel the wood posts coming....
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
hey theres no wood in my d*mn boat!!!!!!!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Not to start up a snot throwing match but the Mastercraft is a full six inches narrower than the 20v.

The 20v simply isn't capable of comparing to the X-Star in the wake division.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I guess I will chime in.....

If you go with a Tige, make sure you get a PCM with tranny that offers 3 year warranty. MerCruiser is only one year for engine and drive. I may be paying for the additional cost that a PCM would have run me due to my Walter drive failing after 16 months on a 12 month warranty. Whatever you get, buy it with a 3 year warranty up front because after dropping 45K plus on a boat, it's hard to spend another grand or two for a warranty extension.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, both are solid boats with great wakes.
Old    wakebmxer            09-12-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
The wood isnt that bad but all fiberglass is better. 40 grand for a new X-1 is a great deal. It was the best wake in the world until the X-star came out. Mercruisers dont have the power that Indmars have either. If you can get the Tige for 35k do it.....maybe not....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
Mike, Tige' stopped using wood in 03. Sanger is the only wood stringer boat left in the wakeboard market.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
Go with the X dude. It's what happens behind the boat that matters, and a lot more silly McNasty sweet things will happen behind the X.
Old    muckno_rider            09-13-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
My, My, My! We are quite the bunch of Mastercraft "BIATCHS" in here, aren't we!!!

Although, I do have to agree that the X1 is nicer to ride behind than the 20V.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Wood floats! Wood is also heavier which means less ballast. I don't see wood as being a big problem. Hulls with wooden stringers really seem to handle chop better as they are heavier and seem to flex a little to absorb vibrations. Having said that it would seem that better cared for boats are the ones you want if you look at boats with wood stringers, especially aroung the motor mounts. Most manufacturers are getting away from wood pobably out of concern over weight and cost rather than the rotting issues.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-13-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
there is no longer wood in tiges. I could also be wrong but i would bet that gas consumption would be less on the x-1. I use to have the x-2 and it did not eat up much gas at all compared to any other v-drive ive been behind.
Old    tantrum2blind            09-13-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
"QUOTE
By Jeff Baker (innov8) on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 1:58 pm:
I dont know much about the wake on the Tige either, except one time at a comp in Texas the outlaw riders refused to ride behind the Tige.
UN-QUOTE"

Hey Jeff, could u please let me know when and where that comp was that the refusal took place.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-13-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
I know last spring at one of the DWB stops that the Dallas Supra/Moomba and Tige dealers co-sponsored the tournament so half the tournament was pulled by a Supra and half a Tige, depending on division. I know Supra pulled Outlaw that weekend, but don't know if it was already set up that way or if the Outlaw riders refused to ride behind it.

For what it's worth, I rode behind the Tige and blew out my knee after getting a funny kick on a wake to wake grab.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-13-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
JOHN!at the hyperlite tour "the game" a tige CRASHED on shore and no one wanted to ride behind it. the had an X star there and two 210 teams there.. no one wanted to ride behind it but they wouldnt change b/c tige was the main sponsor

my thoughts.. MASTERCRAFT!! woooo
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-13-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
"For what it's worth, I rode behind the Tige and blew out my knee after getting a funny kick on a wake to wake grab"

congratulations, that was the stupidest statement ever written on wakeworld, blaming a boat for blowing out your knee, what a joke!!!!
Old    tantrum2blind            09-14-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Hey Andrew, two things man, don't say things in public if you are not sure what was going on. The reason Tige' did not pull the outlaw division was because it was our shop's first tournament to pull. That was my pro-shop's boat that pulled that (solid red 22V). Since the pro-shop changed managers, none of us had the experience in setting up/running a tournament. So we purposely road the coat-tails of Supra/Moomba and let them take lead. Through that whole tourney, I had one guy come to me and complain about the wake (the fisrt guy to ride expert). Funny thing is, after we adjusted the wake, and ran the rest of the tourney, he stomped it and got first in expert. After that, he came to me totaly pumped about that boat. You can say that when things were good, he was happy, or ect., but the fact is everyone had fun.

Second of all, a girl rented a Vixen 132 from us; it was her first ride on that board, and she destroyed her knee with the first jump on that board. Stuff happens, much like your funny kick off a wake, get over it, it's appart of the sport.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
John last year Marine Creek Fort Worth Texas, I had one of my outlaw riders that was riding, tell me that the outlaws refused to ride behind the Tige due to the wake not being big enough, and they rode behind a mastercraft if iam not mistaken. They had about three boats out there that day, and I think the only class to ride behind the tige was advanced. But I know for shur the outlaws did not ride behind it, due to the wake.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Sorry it was Supra and that was the contest Andrew was talking about it was a while ago and it was not a mastercraft that pulled outlaw it was a supra. Sorry my mistake but I know they said that outlaw refused to ride behind the Tige 100% shure not bashing Tige thats just what happened
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-14-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Andrew,

We have a 2004 Switch V, same hull as the 20V. If you are a serious wakeboarder, get the X-1. We have a lot of problems with the Tige purposing. We have to use a ton of ballast, nearly 2000lbs. to get the wake decent. Taps works OK, but if it is rough at all we have drop TAPS to 1 which makes the wake less vertical.

If you like the space in the Tige, I would look at a 22V. The wake of the 22v grows huge with weight and the purposing is not as bad with the 22V. I will include a pic of our wake.

This is with 2000 lbs. ballast, 4 people, riding 75' at 23.5 MPH.

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
John no one is bashing youre shop at all. and Iam not saying anything bad about Tige, thats what I heard from more than one outlaw riders,and it would make sense that what you are saying is true, because without it being set up right it would effect the size of the wake, which would make sense on why they did not want to ride behind it. So I think we can all understad what happened at the comp at marine creek. Thanks for towing one of youre boats to the comp and helping out our local wake comps. Sorry I did not read all the post after John asked me what comp it was my bag.
Old    tantrum2blind            09-14-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
So we can just bang this stuff arround all day because ALL boats have pros and cons, but the point is, there are differnt boats out there for different people. Money, needs/wants, and recomendations are the reasons people go out and buy boats. So, whoever is looking for a boat, go out and drive it and ride behind it. Don't let a salesman tell you what to buy. Research it, then get what you want, the way you want it. Try before you buy!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Very True John, everyone buys wakeboard boats for different reasons, but if you are a serious wakeboader the wake is all that really matters, and the resale is important as well.
Old    wakebmxer            09-14-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
Where's the lip????? Go with the X-1 !!!!!!
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-16-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Look real close at both boats before you buy. I mean under all the bling. Look at the motor mounts, look at how the seats are made, look at the wiring. Biggest thing is to look past the "bling" and look at the quality. If you are deciding between a MC and a Tige, IMO there is only one correct answer.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Ya Mastercraft!
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Mastercraft
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
Said it a hundred times: The X2/X1 wake is, flat out, one of the best you can get. It is an excellent balance of transition and pop and can be shaped for any level of rider at any speed.

No experience behind a Tige, but I've heard the wake has a very long transition and not much of a lip. Maybe having to run all that weight to get a good wake is why Lyman sank so many of those things.

Anyway, I agree with the previous comments about warranty. A one year warranty is nowhere near enough. I was still working through bugs on my Sanger when the drivetrain warranty ran out. I think industry standard should be three years. One year just doesn't give me a lot of confidence in a manufacturer.
Old     (bnice)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-16-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
buy a close out x-2!
Old    cmb            09-19-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
X2 has a great wake, but do not bash the Tige wake. A 20v when correctly loaded is as good as anything out there. You put 1500 Lbs in it and it has a fantastic wake. Not a lot of transition, and a very nice lip. The table is sized similar to a 210. 20v or 24v have great wakes, I was not impressed with the 22v. Did not handle well when loaded down, and the wake was just descent. With all that said, I have never heard a complaint about an X2. But, have heard several about the X-Star surprisingly.

Fit and finish is nicer on the MC or Nautique line than a Tige. Resell is also better there.

Lyman sank two. Once because a valve was leaking and the battery was dead, so there was no bilge. The other because it was left out in a hurricane. Go figure.

Go out and ride the 20v and X2, compare for yourself instead of what others say.

(Message edited by cmb on September 19, 2005)