Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
I saw a nice looking 2003 Mastercraft X-10 for sale and was just wandering what kind of wake that it put out. I'm not sure if it has ballast or not. I don't here or see many people talk about that being one of the core wakeboarding boats. I currently have an '03 Centurion Elite V. Would this be a step up as far as the wake is concerned?
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-17-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I don't know what kind of wake the Centurion throws, but the X-10 is basically an Maristar 210 with a tower and factory ballast. The wake is pretty good, but not as good as the 205 hull.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Shawn. The Elite V can have a nice shaped wake (vert or rampy) if weighted properly. It's just not capable of being a massive sized wake regardless of weight due to being a crossover type hull. The Elite V is also very sensitive to weight distribution. It tends to get washy on one side or the other if the weight is not balanced correctly.
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-17-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I had one I sold a couple years ago.

Wake size was never my main concern so I ran factory ballast (900). I will say that the wake is rampy with a good transition and is really nice and firm. I personally liked that wake better than the other two wakes I have spent considerable time on. One was a 22SSV, I find it narrow, a litttle choppy and with a bit too vert for my riding. The other is a Tige 22V. It is real wide but a little on the soft side and also considerably choppier than my boat was.

I guess to sum it up I would call it a fantastic shape but probably lacking in size if you are trying to compare it to a pro size wake. I was by far the most confident behind my boat than friends. I was far more confident with the smoothness that I would get a consistent pop and not get off balance. Part of that, of course, was that it was my "home" wake but I think the shape was superior as well.

I can't speak to the Centurion but I very much enjoyed my X-10 when I had it.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
My buddy had an X-10 and I thought it had a pretty nice wake. The size was decnent and it gave a nice consistent pop. I think we rode the stock ballast plus about 8 people in the boat.

I heard the surf wake was awesome with a little extra weight but I never got to surf his boat.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-17-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
rampy wake, not too wide. Would definately run more than stock weight though
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Sort of a threadjack, my apologies...What do you guys find to be the ideal ballast config for the X-10? I have a Maristar 230 that I've struggled to tune the wake with bags...I've got 440lbs in the front and two 400lb bags in the back. I find this modified wake almost too steep to go after. Suggestions?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
You might want to move some weight up front, that should help mellow out the transition. I'd put about 700lbs in the walkway.
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks! Will give that a try when things thaw out.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Anytime sir, let me know how it works. If it's all good you could likely get a bow sac that fits under the front seats if you don't want to lose your walkway but we've always just set a standard fat sac there.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-18-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Depends on what you compare it to, but I have family that has an x-10 and that thing needs a ton of weight to get big. The wake is pretty rampy and a little wider than most IMO. I have a SAN 210, which is about the total opposite of the x-10 wake, but to get the size of my wake with 2k lbs. of ballast in my boat out of the x-10, you would probably have to run close to 3k lbs. in it. It's a nice boat, but if you are looking for a boat just for wakeboarding that has a big wake, I would personally look elsewhere.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-19-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'll preface by saying I owned a 2002 X10, but can't compare to your current ride.

The '02 X10 had rear hard tanks and a center bag. I ended up taking out the rear tanks, replaced with higher capacity bags, and added bags under the front seats.

You can get the wake big with a decent shape, but the wake tends towards the softer side.

I loved our X10, but wanted better wake performance...hence my current ride.

Get out, ride it, and judge for yourself tho!
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       02-19-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
AWESOME for surfing! Nice wake,