Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-02-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
Alrighty, so really bad news today... I went to pick up my new(used) 98 Sky Supreme today and my friend who I am buying it from forgot one of the plugs when he winterized . Needless to say when we went out on the test drive the gurgle of the engine compartment tiped us of that something was wrong and lifting the engine cover we discovered a "milkshake" mess. The boat ran remarkably well up to that point and after the quick turnaround back to the launch.

anyone had this issue?

what is the typical replacement cost?
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-02-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
Last summer my motor coughed a rod thru the block....$6k later...brand new motor! I love my insurance co.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-02-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
You could probably get away with a new or used block and put your parts into/on it.
Old    alanp            04-03-2005, 12:58 AM Reply   
just get a crate engine 1500 bucks and transfer the stuff over yourself. or beg a friend to help like id do.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-03-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
Are you sure it is the block?
Your post isn't clear on where the failure is.
A good welder can weld cast iron; we have done it to older exhaust manifolds, etc.
Several years ago, I bought a boat cheap knowing that the block was cracked and intending to replace it. Just for grins, I pulled the intake manifold and found the block was cracked behind the pushrods #2 cylinder. (Small block Chevy)
We purchased some NiRod, which is cast-iron spec. welding rod, and welded the crack.
The repair has held just fine for about 10 years.

It might or might not be an option for you, but I would find out where exactly the failure is, before making a decsion on which way to go.
Do you have any mechainical skills or do you have friends that do?
If it is the cylinder block, and it is unrepairable, I would think about buying a fresh short block and transferring my heads, pan, etc. to the new engine. This is an option if the engine hours are relatively low, and the heads don't need freshening. If it is a high hour engine, then you should step for the long block.

Unless you are going to sell this boat as soon as it is running again, I would avoid the low-$ factory GM crate 350.
The heads do not flow very well, they are not intended for sustained high RPM applications.
There are other GM crate engines that are more $ but are still a good value.

If it is a Chevy, and you find you want to invest some $ and put a strong running engine in it, you need to do some research and find out what will work with your application. If you are carbed, now might be the time to step to an aftermarket F.I. system.
Edelbrock is marketing some crate engines that might be interesting in a boat.
If you already have an EFI engine, then you need to stay close to home with the cam and displacement, or the electronics might not "learn" to work with the new parts.
Lots to think about, and if it was my $, I'd want to get the best bang and HP I could.
Just my opinion, good luck and let us know what you discover and decide to do.
Old    flipout            04-03-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
you would have to get a marine crate motor and my impeller sucked up leaves a twigs back in 2000 and my insurance had a new motor put in and most of the stuff off the old one transfered over and it coast $6,000.00.
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       04-03-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Who do you guys have insurance with? They pay for mechanical failures? I need to switch.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-03-2005, 7:14 PM Reply   
You can find exact replacement rebuilt marine long blocks for under 1500$ with a 7 yr warrantee on line.
Old    flipout            04-04-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
I don't think debris caught in the impeller is a mechanical problem. I think you forgot to read my post.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-04-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
Go to skidim.com They have replacement engines/ blocks for all applications
Old     (scottie4421)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-06-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
I would tell my friend to keep the boat and go spend my money on something without a cracked block.
Old    biwwy            04-07-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
try out ebay motors I have seen many marine engines listed, rebuilt and new
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
If he's a real friend he'll give you your money back. Let him deal with it while you go find another boat!
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
Scrogg dogg

My comment / question about insurance paying for mechanical failures was to Paul's comment "Last summer my motor coughed a rod thru the block....$6k later...brand new motor! I love my insurance co." I really wanted to know who you guys have insurance, they sound good. I have had a ligitimate clam and my insurance has found a loophole brought in investigaters all for a few hundred $$ claim. I'm looking to switch thought I would get some sugestions.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
well you should read his post then....wtf that meant
Old    flipout            04-08-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
State farm. We ran over a shallow spot in the lake and my impeller sucked up a bunch of twigs and the motor over heated and blew. State farm took care of me. I have never had a problem with them. When my wife got hit by a man who ran a stop sign, they paid for my total and then sued his insurance company. I didn't have to deal with his company at all.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-10-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
Make a wake- Im insured with Westmar Marine ins co. The adjuster determined it was some type of motor failure causing water intrusion into the motor. I still have an extented warranty, but they say due to water in the motor, no coverage. Westmar is a nationwide boat only insurance co.