Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Just brainstorming ideas, surprised Grant (WC) hasnt done this, I would like to dynamat my engine compartment. Has anybody done this or thought about this?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
I have been thinking about doing mine. The material between the engine compartment and the back seat is really thin. I was thinking about doing just that part of the compartment. Not sure how much of a difference it would actually make, but it does seem like a good idea. I'd also like to know if anyone has done it and how much of a difference it has made.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-25-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
I did mine last summer, it came out fairly good I wish I had a digital camera to take pictures of it. What I did was get the mat and then cut it for all the corners, I then used heat resistent tape like for header wrap and did all the seems. Its held up good I have one side that I need to re tape that got snagged on the exaust manifold. Also I used 3m Adhesive to apply it. It decreased the sound alot around idle but still when boarding it wasn't considerably amount of difference.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-25-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
There's a large thread on malibuboatowners.com that talks about insulating the engine compartment. I bought the stuff from my dealer, but you can order it online too. It has a heat sheild on one side, semi-dense foam, and self adhesive on the other side. I think it did make a difference, especially at idle.
Old    whitechocolate            01-25-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
My engine box is already insulated but it could always use somting better, Im not a expert at sound deading, because most of the things I work on are now fiberglass I.E Boats. But Travis turned me on to these guys they are right up in his neck of the wood's. Travis know a bit about this stuff mabey he will pipe in.

Im going to star a project that will use all sorts of sound deadning material but from what I have learned theres differnt material for diffrent things.

Theres sound blanket's that you see on the undersde of the hoods of lets say a benz this will do way more as far as killing the sound will than Dynamatt, Dynamatt is more used to stop the sound of metal resonating. Go to this link you can learn lots more on what type of material you need for your job, but from what you have said a sound blanket sounds like what you need, Be warned after viewing this link you might get adicted to sound proofing. http://www.cascadeaudio.com/
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-25-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yeah, I don't know that dynomat is the best material... there's cheaper stuff that will work better in the way of semi-dense foam. Another thing that can really deaden the sound on a v-drive is getting the cracks between the hatches covered up. Putting a wide "baffle" on top of the side engine covers, or a pad that extends up to the bottom of the closed engine hatch will kill a lot of noise that otherwise seeps up between the cushions. The padded decks themselves are pretty well insulated. Also, in a V-drive, don't forget the space above and around the transmission - this is usually under the rear seat/floor.