Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-26-2008, 10:04 PM Reply   
Hey yall, I know this may sound a little lazy, but at the same time I know that there are some companies out there making Wakesurfers that I havent heard of. I have the custom shapers that are doing it marked down, Walker, Pearson, etc...

What other companies are mass producing wakesurfers?
I know the following (besides the more custom shapers, even though some have mass market boards)

Hyperlite
Liquid Force
Ronix
Inland Surfer
Phase 5
Placebo
Walker
Props
Shred Stixx

Who else am I missing? I know there are some more. I need to do some research and contacting so if you ride someone Im leaving out, please let me know. Thanks guys
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
new wave vehicles
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-27-2008, 3:24 AM Reply   
Calibrated, Walzer, Shoreline Lakeboards, Triple X, ASC

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on May 27, 2008)
Old    surfdad            05-27-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
CWB, Surftech, Neptune and Victoria makes a wakesurf.

...but TX - mass produced means what? IS reportedly sells 3,000 units per year, I can see some names on that list that have yet to sell 3,000 units since inception. :-) If Jerry and Jeff read this, you know they are rolling their eyes. We have enough nonsense that gets promulgated on this forum. How about we change the definition from "mass produced" to companies that offer stock shapes/sizes.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Totally Jeff, I didnt really know what other choice of words to use. I know that some of those are not truely mass produced. I'm not wanting to offend any of the shapers by any means, as I know that there are more shapers that make surfers than there are large companies, or it seems that way to me. You're totally right on this one. Lets just start over with a list of companies and shapers that make surfers and sell them to the general public (ie not your buddy that shapes sick boards that only you can get your hands on)

(Message edited by bac on May 27, 2008)
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Here's the list I have so far, in alphabetical order. Just throw in more companies/shapers if we're missing them and Ill just keep updating the list. Thanks for the help guys

ASC
Calibrated
CWB
Hyperlite
Inland Surfer
Liquid Force
New wave vehicles
Neptune
Phase 5
Placebo
Props
Ronix
Shred Stixx
Shoreline Lakeboards
Smed
Surftech
Triple X
Victoria
Walker
Walzer
Old    surfdad            05-27-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Cool - then we should add:

Ghetto House Glassing, Trick Boardz, Vernor and that one board with the durasurf bottom and 100% EVA top. Ed S knows the board I am talking about. Getting old is NOT for sissies! :-) I'll try to remember that last name.
Old    surfdad            05-27-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Cybershapes! Oh yeah! Who still has his memory (mostly) intact?! That's right! :-)
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
ASC
Calibrated
CWB
Cybershapes
Ghetto House Glassing
Hyperlite
Inland Surfer
Liquid Force
New wave vehicles
Neptune
Phase 5
Placebo
Props
Ronix
Shred Stixx
Shoreline Lakeboards
Smed
Surftech
Trick Boardz
Triple X
Vernor
Victoria
Walker
Walzer
Old    lakeside5_10            05-27-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
and soon to be Lakewakes
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-27-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
OBRIEN
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-27-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Huh, one of the out of business companies?

Area 51 or was it 53
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Area 51/53? (No Longer in Business)
ASC
Calibrated
CWB
Cybershapes
Ghetto House Glassing
Hyperlite
Inland Surfer
Lakewakes (Out Soon)
Liquid Force
New wave vehicles
Neptune
O'Brien
Phase 5
Placebo
Props
Ronix
Shred Stixx
Shoreline Lakeboards
Smed
Surftech
Trick Boardz
Triple X
Vernor
Victoria
Walker
Walzer
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   

thanks , txsurfvlx
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-28-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Another out of business board Co. (or at least very quiet):
XBC
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
He better be out of biz! There is a $400 question that needs to be answered if he isn't!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
Hey Mark, no prob, I'm all about this sport, the more guys supporting it, the better. When you get going, let me know, if you have a site, Ill add it here. I'd like to add web links to each maker if they have one. That way this not only helps me with what Im doing, but also helps out with those who are trying to find that perfect board, they have a list of all the shapers/companies and links to sites.

Does anyone know how many of these have websites that have info on the surfers? I know some can be hard to find, and not all sites have all the models listed.

Really the only info I need is the rail thickness, on the thinnest models and the fattest models from each one
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
i had one for years at
www.lakewakes.com
i wanted to sell boards and gear for the wakeboard sport online but the manufactures want a storefront to represent their products. i have not updated the site in 2 years and will soon a friend is giving me a Mac to redue it on and do vid editing on.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Right on! Well I'll definitely add it to the list, when I have the list more complete with sites, I'll post it in a new thread. I know how it can be trying to online retail, the distributors/manufacturers want to see pics of your store and everything else, makes it much more difficult to get in initially. Have you talked with any of them lately? Alot of companies will allow an online only business to carry their product once they prove they have been established for a certain amount of time. It varies from company to company, unfortunately though, some wont do that, and want you to have a brick store
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
brick & mortor business as what the east coast rep for liquid force said , 10k for 1 years worth of products and 1.5 to 3k for people like straightline and people that make vests.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-28-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
www.shredstixx.com
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
I've got right around 30 companies/shapers. I'm still looking for info and or websites for the following:

New Wave Vehicles
Neptune
Shoreline Lakeboards
Triple X
Verner
Victoria
Walzer

If anyone has the direct sites for these companies or contact info, it would be appreciated.
Old    surfdad            05-29-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Direct URL's

http://www.neptunesurfboards.com/

Note spelling on Vernor

http://www.vernorsurfboards.com/

http://www.victoriaskimboards.com/

We forgot 9:Fish - the Pufferfish model

http://www.9fish.com/

Indirect

I believe that New Wave and Shoreline Lakeboards are only listed at The Wakesurf Shop

http://www.thewakesurfshop.com/

Triple X is all over eBay as:

http://stores.ebay.com/East-Coast-Surf-Supply

and through Wakeoutlaws

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com

I believe that Walzer does not maintain a website and it is available exclusively through wakeoutlaws.com

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-29-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Thanks jeff! I found the 9:fish last night myself, so its been added. I did see where it seemed like you could only get some of those shapes from other sites since the shaper didn't have one. Those links will definitely help me out. Thanks again
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
30plus companies....jeeez..im going back to golf for money..its easier!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-30-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
"By Greg "The Hammer" (leaks): Another out of business board Co. (or at least very quiet):
XBC"

"By Jeff Walker (surfdad): He better be out of biz! There is a $400 question that needs to be answered if he isn't!"

Looks like the company is still shaping, or maybe its just leftover stock. His website is down, but his boards are for sale at the Wake Surf Shop

XBC
Old    surfdad            05-30-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
That link is dead when I try it. I also don't see anything listed when I go to The Wake Surf Shop.

Good riddance.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-30-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
http://www.thewakesurfshop.com/Boards-Xtreme_Board_Co.html

Sorry Jeff, somehow got a period caught on the end of the link, try that one, you'll see three different models. I havent been in wakesurfing long enough to know if those are just old stock, or current models
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-30-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
I think you are accessing an old link that is no longer active. If you go to any other page on the wakesurfshop site, there doesn't appear to be a link to get back to the Xtreme page.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-30-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thanks RG. I think you are correct there. I found that link on google while looking for info on the company. I don't want to open up a big can of worms so Im not even gonna ask what happened with them. Do people even ride them at all?
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-31-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
heres the board classifications we will use at our contests..hopefully we can perfect this list,mabe make it easier for other people to have a contest without all the what board is what controversy.
ASCboards-surf/skim/hybrid
calibrated-skim
cwb-surf
cybershapes-surf
ghettohouse glassing-surf
hyperlite-broadcast,landlocked surf/coex skim
inlandsurfer-surf
lakewakes-surf
liquidforce-surf
new wave vehicles-surf
neptune-surf
obrien-surf
phase5-skim
placebo-surf
props-skim
ronix-surf
shreddstixx-surf
shoreline lakeboards-surf
smed-surf
surftech-surf
trik boards-skim/surf/hybrid
triple x-surf/skim
vernor-surf
victoria-skim
walker-surf/hybrid
walzer-surf
sorry if you got left off the list,or feel like we dont have you down for the correct style of boards you manufacture.please let us know so i can add you or change your description..as for the hybrids,many people foresee an open class in the near future,where the two diff(surf n skim) champs battle it out at the end of the day for the open title..three board quiver,surf,skim,open..i think it would be cool if this was the pro standard for all future pro wakesurf and wakeskim riderz..obviously this list is far from perfect,but i hope it helps a little.peace

(Message edited by h20k9 on May 31, 2008)
Old    surfdad            06-01-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Billy,

With all due respect, sir. I have a problem with your classifications, but as you point out it's not meant to be exhaustive or even fully accurate from moment to moment. Also, it's so easy to develop a system beater - find one that you've classified as a "surf" and remove the fins and slap a single wakboard fin in it - I can easily mutate your intentions. Truly, I have major issues with the board definition guidelines...as we have experienced out here on the west coast it doesn't encourage consistency in judging it encourages the development of system beating boards.

We've had hybrids for ages, TWP COMP X 4.5 from last year and the Walzer Alhpa. The best riders of either division already know about a hybrid shape and fin configuration and choose differently. IMO, the compromise doesn't affect anything positive for the best of the best. It's a compromise and as such, doesn't do either style the BEST. Stick Josh Sleigh on a hybrid and what you do is mute his airs. Do the same with Drew Danielo and you mute his shuv based tricks. I'm not sure that means anything other than who is the better rider on a board that performs marginally for them.

Let the best folks ride their best not a compromise, IMO.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
no prob jeff,this is why im on here to swap thoughts with the best of the best.from what i can tell,its the hybrid part thats up for debate,no worries,i totally see how lettn um ride what they are used to would be better than comprimising and makin um ride an open board.it was just a thought,and just another board to make.as for the fins,i feel like if someone wants to try and sneak in a skim with surffins,or vice versa the judges will absolutly know when the guys three looks like a bubba/spinner/surface 3,whatever ya wanna call it..it for sure wont look like a surf style 360..qualified judges will be able to tell the diff..no qualified judges and the riderz will quit taking wakesurfing and wakeskimming seriously.
Old    surfdad            06-01-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
Yep - no truer words spoken than the need for qualified judges. I love the term: "bubba/spinner/surface 3" :-)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Waterdog: Shredstixx (one "d" 2 "XX")
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Anyone know if Butter or HO is still making surfers? I know HO had stuff out in '04, but don't know about Butter. Anyone got any info?
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
TXSurfVLX, realized that you are in Houston, where do you ride? What color is your boat, we have most likely driven right by each other?

We have a quiver of boards from the companies you are talking about, want to try some of the ones you have been posting about, be happy to hook you up?
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
hey greg the hammer,i got to ride that new shredd quad prototype the other day..its sick..i liked it alot.it made my personal favorite must have top 3 list.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Hey RiverRunner, we normally are riding down in Clear Creek/Egret Bay. I also ride alot up in McQueeney and Placid and a few other spots in that area. The boat is a Black and Yellow wakesetter, no graphics. We're gonna try and make some USJ/LSJ and Trinity trips this summer too. Where do you ride at normally?

I'm always game for trying out new boards. We've got two Props boards (which I could probably bring if you havent ridden them or want to try them out) and then the broadcasts (which seems to be a given to have one on any surf boat) and I should probably be picking up another Props board in the next week or so. But am also looking at possibly grabbing a TWP, but Pearson does a nice job with those Props boards. I've been very happy so far with the way they surf.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Used to ride Clear Creek a few boats back to narrow for the new boat, don't put it in brackish water, great place to ride though.

Can't miss us all black 08 240 Enzo - wrapped, we spend a good amount of time on Somerville, hit Trinity, LSJ, USJ for the first time 2 weeks ago, the Bay of Conroe if we just want to hang and party.

Always up for trying out new boards and have not had a chance to hit the Props yet. I have several TWP models that you can check out in return. Hit me with an email with your number and I will give you a call to ride, we will most likely be out this weekend.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Right on Waterdog.. Welcome to the family.
P.S. One "D" in Shred - Two "XX" in Stixx.
Old     (zcrawford4)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-05-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
I am also starting a wakesurf company. I shape wakesurf and conventional surfboards. I should have a website up in the next week or so. My company is called REACT BOARDSPORTS.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-05-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up Zach. I'll drop ya an email tonight with a few questions for ya. lm adding your company to the list too. Once I have my spreadsheet completed (by the weekend hopefully) I'll post it here on the site. It should be a helpful guide for most all of us
Old     (zcrawford4)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-05-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
TXSurfVLX, Thanks for taking the time to compile the list, it is much appreciated!