Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
..first off...anyone have some updated riding reviews?

Anyone look at the liquid force website video of the lyman board?.............now this is a board to get excited about....it actually has what we thought didn't exist exept they arn't playing on it like slingshot and the flexboards.

...this board is a wakeboard/flexboard hybrid with bottom shaping.

Lyman says it is stiff through the centre and the tips and tails are very thin for presses and such and softer landings.

If you look at the video those tails are as thin as the slingshots but with a quad concave.

while yes the slingshot prob flexes more as discussed on other threads....I believe the Lyman will give us that happy medium.

I think the lyman may become board of the year and really shake things up.

any thoughts?
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-09-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Picking mine up next week!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-09-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
slingshot needs to make a board with molded in fins because as sick as the board is on the cable, the fins snap off like twigs
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
glad i got one in january

but i haven't rode it yet
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
I wish i would have given the board a "flex test" (just pushing on it and playing with it with my hands) while at the utah boat show. I gave the byerly monarch a "flex test" and decided all the talk about it being a hybrid were all rumors (no flex at all it seemed) The sub 6 actually flexed more than the byerly which was not expected (still i wouldn't say the sub 6 flexes though). But i definately did notice how the lyman was both the thinnest and thickest board i have ever seen.

would'nt mind trying it if someone ever goes to powell this summer and has bindings my size. (and in turn you can try my slingshot recoil when i get it)

slingshot didn't put molded in fins because it would disturb the flex of the board, bolted fins help maintain flex, but i deffinately think slingshot needs to distribute aluminum fins so they wont strip out and break.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-09-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I was playing with one in my local pro shop yesterday, and i stepped on it, and it immidiatly turned into a flat board. Stepped back off of it, and it popped back into place. Pretty fun to watch, I'd say it falls into the flex-hybrid catagory.

I'm sticking with my Ronix ONE though
Old    benj_t            03-09-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
i got the lyman in december of 07 and got to ride it at owc and i love mine. its the best board ive ever ridden. now im always gonna get lymans pro model. its real fast and landings feel really good. i rode a watson before the lyman and LF really stepped it up a notch. y'all should def try this board. and its like indestructible...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
......thats saying something.....taking you off the watson!........from what I see this board has something new and different ....like the marius did in 2006.....I am just gonna buy one......now where can I get a good deal?
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-09-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
$400 is the standard price for the board.....I've looked
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
I picked mine up for $330 at the Alameda boat show, so if you have one coming up GO TO IT ! if it already passed, than LOL too late
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
.....sweet price!......the lowest I could find is 379 at the house with a coupon code. But they are sold out. Well I think you have to ask for lower as they all have to show 399 on the web, but that doesn't mean they have to sell at that.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Michael, gotta find you some hook ups

What you need to do is go talk to Raul over at OG Audio, he hooked me up with 3 memphis 15's
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-09-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Jeremy, I was told that the Byerly was supposed to have no flex. They were trying to elimate as much flex as possible from the board. Thats just what I heard at the Atlanta Boat Show.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
...thanks Josh....now if he could throw a board in with those we could talk

.....you otta be in sales man!
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
Micheal, that whole raul thing is a intarwebz joke but i might need to take you up on the salesman suggestion.

Do you think a lot of people these days want to buy subscriptions to amazing magazines such as vouge ?
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have the Lyman 139 and its a great board...Its fast, loose when you need it to be even with the fins, lands soft, pops well into the flats. I rode it with and without the fins, too loose for me without the center fins almost like a marius finless. The stance is really wide all the way out. I did notice heelpress's were alot easier on this board and the ollies felt bigger. I'm coming off a ronix one...
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-10-2008, 4:35 AM Reply   
I also have the Lyman 139 and love it. Actually I have two and will sale one still in the shrink wrap for $300 without the addon fins (lost in shipping) Send me a private message if interested.
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
Seth...Mine also didn't have fins with it....checked with my dealer and he found out that a batch of the 139's that were shipped didn't have the fins included in the shrink wrap. The 135's, and the 143's had them within the wrap...LF would prolly send you some...
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
The 139 usually doesn't come with the fins, none at the boat show had them and when i asked they swapped some from a 135
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
Got my Lyman 135 last month. And the tip / tail are super thin. Haven't gotten to ride it yet, but I can't wait.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
http://liquidforce.com/boards_lyman.htm
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Josh, it was a packaging mistake. they come with fins. some 139 boards at the shop didnt have the fins so i called LF and they sent them.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
FYI:

Nothing against the Lyman board, it looks sick and he is one of my favorite riders, but I wouldn't call it new hybrid flex technology!?!

If you have the chance to check out the O'Brien Natural or Coda you might be surprised at just how thin the tip and tail of those boards are! They have been out for a couple of years.

Again Lyman rocks and the board looks good, but I wouldn't call it new or hybrid flex!

Not starting a war, just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I agree Jakober, you look at the CWB Absolute and it is ridiculously thin. While perhaps cutting down on swing weight, it certainly doesn't make it a flexboard.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
jeff newt....how would you compare it to the marius...I ride the 2006 marius right now.

I did have a look at the absolute....they do describe it as "flex" technology though

the natural and coda it was hard to tell.....I'll have to look at them next time I go to the board shop.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 10, 2008)
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Michael Z....I really haven't ridden a marius enough to compare it for you...I've ridden a friends once and noticed that it was very slick. The Lyman is slick like that without the center fins, but I think that with them in is a perfect middle ground, it breaks loose very easily...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
Yeah the Absolute has flex, all boards do. They advertise the Platinum board as flex, stiff as hell flex! The Lyman & Absolute are nothing like a Slingshot or other "true" flexboard.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   

quote:

: I was playing with one in my local pro shop yesterday, and i stepped on it, and it immidiatly turned into a flat board. Stepped back off of it, and it popped back into place. Pretty fun to watch, I'd say it falls into the flex-hybrid catagory.

sounds like it flexes almost as much as a slingshot to me? or is this speaking of the slingshots?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

The fact that you can step on the tip and tail of the board and flatten it out, doesn't make it a flex board.

I haven't had a board in the last 5 years that didn't do the same thing.

Most modern wakeboards will flex like that, but it's still not a flex board.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-11-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think you guys are confusing the lyman with the press which is Mike Ennen's pro model. I actually ride both and the Press is the hybrid with the flattened nose and tail that flex. The Lyman is an awesome board for sure but it isn't supposed to have any flex.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
All boards flex, it's just to what degree makes them a flex board?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
...well it doesn't matter now.....I just ordered mine......I'll let you know in 3 years when this snow finally melts!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Sweet, let us know what it's like when things warm up
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
you bet .....I am gonna take a bunch of pics too....from all different angles so people can get a better appreciation for the board.....its hard to check out boards when they only give you top and bottom views.(unless you are actually looking at one.....but we do spend a lot of time on the net)
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-11-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
got mine today........also picked up the d2 boots.

pics aren't the greatest. used the iphone to take em.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
Here are a few pics of mine w/ vantages...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
...thanks for the pics boys!....saved me some work....nice setups!

didn't realize it was matt black...sweet!
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-12-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
Jeff--How do those Vantages ride? I'm demoing all the new LF stuff tomorrow, but just wanted someone's thoughts on that Lyman/Vantage setup.
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Andrew....They are the most comfortable bindings i have ever put on....I've had 07 One's, 07 Watsons before but I like these alot better. The footbed is really soft, the straps allow for a custom fit to your foot and you can adjust them on the fly. Easy in easy out and have beefed up kidneys to hold your heel down. The vantages are a little lower cut than the watsons but have good ankle support. I would say they had more side to side movement with a stiffer front to back flex. They say the velcro is supposed to hold for a long time...someone on here said what they are rated for pull wise but i forget...

As for the board....its fast, loose when you want it to be, really slick without the center fins, Pops well into the flats, soft landings, I had to come in a hole because of the wide stance all the way out. The whole setup itself is pretty light, its pretty close to my Ronix One setup.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-12-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
few of mine plus vapors

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-12-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Honestly, i have never personally stepped on a board (period) in a shop on the floor and watched it go "flat and then pop back" I'm just having a hard time seeing that. or maybe there is various opinions of "flat."

I have seen a vid of the slingshot board do this, but i have never seen one of a "traditional" board. I would stand on mine (Hyp Byerly 2004) but i sent it home to my parent's home.

on the other hand i have seen a vid of a traditional board break when someone jumped on it while it was upside-down, but im just about 100% certain the slingshot wouldn't break. This again makes me doubt the "flex" of a "traditional" board.

here is the slingshot vid i was talking about with a guy standing on it to make it flat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lwEUQ6j0I

is the the same kind of "flex" to "flat" we are talking about and attributing to most "traditional boards?"

sorry, i am just real unexperienced with this stepping on boards thing (except with slingshot :-))
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
those vantages are ill looking...i'd like to slip those on one day
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-12-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Jeff--that's what I was looking for. I rode the 07 Watsons last year and am going to be trying out the Vantages and 08 Watsons tomorrow on a couple of different boards. I've gotten pretty used to closed toe boots so I'll have to see how it feels to have an open toe boot on again.
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
I tried on the Watsons and they are unbelievably soft in the heel. I couldn't believe how much cushion they had.

I still ended up going with the Slingshot D2's because of the intuition liners and the ability to adjust how stiff or soft you wanted the boot. There really is no better fit than having a liner heat molded to your foot.

Also, there is a removable ankle brace to adjust the heel hold and amount of support you need. I personally felt that it was too stiff with it in so I don't ride with them. Having the liner molded to my foot gives me just the right amount of support.

Just a heads up for you guys looking for some new boots!

(Message edited by fmaxturbosi on March 13, 2008)
Old    benj_t            03-13-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
i have the 08 shanes on my lyman and its really sick!! the shanes feel so good.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-13-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Got a chance to ride the Lyman today and love that board. This was my first time to ride this year and was riding behind an X2 with no ballast so didn't have optimum conditions, but I felt like I never took a day off since last summer.

The board is fast, tracks well, lands soft, and has great pop. I don't know what else you could ask for in a board. I have been riding an Axis and Watson last year so I will definitely be putting the Lyman into heavy rotation this year. Looking forward to riding it behind a weighted X-Star next with some Vantage boots.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-13-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
I rode for the first time in quite a few months yesterday. It was also the first time I had a chance to try the Lyman. As many of you know, I'm not a fan of switching boards every year and I've been on a Trip for as long as I can remember. Well, I'm officially off the Trip!

I had my two best rides ever getting two tricks consistent that I've had trouble with for years. I was grabbing like a mo fo and just having an absolute blast.

The board has a similar feel to the Trip, but it definitely has more of a flex board feeling. I've ridden a Slingshot and it feels like a mix of a Trip and a flex board. It's got nice soft landings and the pop was definitely there. I was a little worried about it tracking too much with all those fins, but it slid around just like the Trip, so I was stoked on that.

Overall, this is just a great, fun board and I cannot wait to get on it again! I just didn't want to stop riding and I'm paying for it in soreness today!

Upload
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
I knew it!!!!!.....yahooo!......thanks for the review guys....its in the mail (my board that is)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
hey dave , were you wearing the shanes or watson on the board?...and how were they?....oh and isn't hair supposed to be getting shorter with age?

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 13, 2008)
Old     (3dsrider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-13-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Hey David, how were the landings compared to a slingshot?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-13-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
Those are the Watsons. Muy comfortable!

It's been about eight months since I rode the Slingshot, but I remember the landings to be very forgiving. This board feels the same way, but almost like you have a little more control on the landings. I don't know if that's due to the additional fins/tracking or the extra stiffness in the board itself.

Whatever it is, I like it. I have a major problem landing switch toeside, but I landed every single one yesterday. I've never been that consistent with those landings. Maybe there's still hope for this old guy!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
... I would pretty much attribute the better landings to the quad concave.....plus the 2 inside fins are on top of a concave so they they dig even more than their height would indicate.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
Rode it again today with a lot more weight in the boat and still love this board. I feel like this is going to be a good seller for LF this year, especially if people demo before they ride. The Watson and Shane will always sell well because of their name, but this board has the potential to be right up there.
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-16-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
rode the board again today. My buddies all agree that I look better popping on the Lyman. Can't wait for some warmer weather for more riding time. I've only been able to ride for a few minutes because the waters still 57 degrees.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-17-2008, 12:06 AM Reply   
That's 10 degrees warmer than the water I rode in today....
Old     (liquid_force24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-17-2008, 1:14 AM Reply   
lol im goin to go against all of you and say that i really dont like the lyman... it is way to loose for my liking although that can be said about any board since i started riding the axis... it doesnt hold as well ts either and doesnt pop right for me

im a cable rider just to clear things up aswell
Old    benj_t            03-17-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
yea i agree. even with the fins in its still a pretty slick board. still love it though. best board ever.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-17-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE MINE ON SATURDAY !!!!!!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Stopped by my store to give it a "hands on flex test"

sure, it has a bit more flex than MOST traditional boards, but i think i would also not say it is a "hybrid." BUT it is deffinately stepping in that direction.

from some of the reports about the obrien R5 and Local... there may be possibility for them to fit closer in the "hybrid" category... we will see.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-22-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Rode mine today.

Can honestly say thats the most fun i've ever had on a wakeboard. Loved how loose it was with the fins, but still in an easily controllable manner. Was fast as hell like WOOOOOOOSSSHHHH !!!!! that coupled with the new sacs meant i only touched the other wake on two occasions (first two jumps), rest of the day i was way the hell out there.