Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
A co-worker passed this along to me, kind of neat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7T2iuGjjc
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
That is pretty funny.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-10-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Side note, google maps now does bike routes.

Raining all week to melt the snow, should take first ride of the season this weekend.

http://lifehacker.com/5490076/google...ons-and-trails
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
google maps does bike routes? How so?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
The Google Maps deal is odd. I was planning with it earlier. It gives me a route from home to work that is 32 miles and takes 3:11 going the downhill way. I do a 30 mile route in 1:30 on the uphill way.... Looks like they really are focusing on trails for cyclists, not roads.

Goto maps.google.com, click on directions, then you will see a drop down for options like driving, walking, public transport and cycling now.

From the announcement:
Different modes of travel often require different routes to be taken. If you're walking somewhere, for example, you're not likely to take a highway to get there, and you have the distinct advantage of being able to go through certain structures that cars cannot. The same goes for biking. When someone is planning to get somewhere by bike, they're going to demand different routes. This is why the Google Maps team today announced that it has added bicycling directions to Google Maps.
Shannon Guymon, product manager for Google Maps said, "We wanted to include as much bike trail data as possible, provide efficient routes, allow riders to customize their trip, make use of bike lanes, calculate rider-friendly routes that avoid big hills and customize the look of the map for cycling to encourage folks to hop on their bikes. So that's exactly what we've done."
Google has taken more than 12,000 miles of bike trail data from the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's TrailLink.com database. The Washington, DC nonprofit has been collecting trail data since 2000, and has maps, pictures, descriptions, and listings for more than 30,000 miles of bike trails.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
I saw the Google announcement today too. It seems pretty neat and makes planning a trip or route fairly easy, at least in my area. Luckily, the route I take to work when I ride in the summer is mostly on trail. But it does help open up some other ideas.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-10-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
i use www.mapmyride.com
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-24-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
I've been using the "my tracks" app from google on my droid, very good at recording your route, has all the info you'd want... avg. speed, time, distance, elevations, etc... and obviously the map of the route you just took