Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-26-2012, 1:05 AM Reply   
...what was it like in the evenings and how did you occupy your downtime? Me and a group of buddies are heading out there in August and we are trying to determine what to expect.

What time do you usually get off of the water, did you got out or just lounge around the house? I know they provide food, but what does that entail? Are we going to want to go out to some of the restaurants in the area.

We are coming from California and would like to experience some of the local scene. We're not into the clubs/bars etc. but would like to get out a bit.

Should we plan on a rental car, or are we going to have fun just hanging out at the house?

Locals....any places you would recommend as a must see or do?

Just trying to maximize our time and make the most of the experience.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2012, 4:59 AM Reply   
To tell you the truth...we were so beat after each day that we just relaxed around the house watched a movie each night. There is not much around that area and if you want to venture out its a 20min drive or so. I was there with only 1 other guy, who was from Canada.

At the beginning of the week, they have you write down a grocery list for stuff they already dont have in the house.

With it being only us two, Shaun & Travis rode alot too which was cool. We even used downtime and went fishing off of Shauns 230 or paddleboarded. They limit you to 3 sets the first half of the week.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-26-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
First, I've never been to TBS but I live in Orlando which is obviously the closest big city. Second, you must visit OWC. Even if you've never ridden the cable you need to check it out, especially since they are setting up the pool slider from Wake Open as we speak. They also have a second cable to learn on that goes a little slower with less obstacles, I still hit it first for a warm up. Third, that means you should rent a car, TBS is not near anything. If you need a van for a large group with luggage I've got a hook up with Carl's Van Rentals, they are near the airport and do pick-ups, Just tell them Joe Lo told you to call and you'll get their best price. Disney sucks for adults but if you want to try a theme park stick with Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios, more roller coasters and Margaritaville is there too. The only other attraction that really recomend is Cirque Du Soleil (La Nuba), it's a good show. There are plenty of bars downtown, we like Whiskey Dicks, especially on a Sunday. If you need any gear, don't forget to check out Performance, it's pretty close to OWC and the airport and they demo gear there also and give you credit toward your purchse. There is a location at OWC but I don't know how big there selection is. I hope this helps.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
The above poster has good tips. I forgot to clarify that the other camper there when I went didnt want to go out or drink and explore the area. I live near Orlando and have been out many times there and seen alot so it wasnt a big deal for mebut someone visiting should check out these things.
Old     (dalderman1)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
I was just there in May and opted to not stay at the house for a discounted price. Granted I'm older, wanted my own space and also wanted to get out in the evenings. It's in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing around there except an old race track so once the day is done (around 5) you'll be stuck at the house if you don't have a car. Yeah, they have paddleboards, videos and a trampoline but after a few days you'll want to get out. The only two people staying at the house were a guy from Canada and a guy from Japan that spoke no English. Needless to say, the guy from Canada needed a serious change of scenery and was going stir crazy by the third day.
University of Central Florida is the closest area, about 15 minutes away, and there are a lot of bars, restaurants, etc... to check out. Even if you want to grab a couple of beers and burger or just get a change of scenery, you'll need to have a car. Downtown is about 30 minutes away if you want to go bigger. Since there is a group of you, I'd seriously consider going in together on a cheap car - I think you'll be happy you did and at least you'll have the option.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-27-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
My son & I went there in March. It was a great experience. LR3 said it well - you will be worn out and won't feel like doing much. Ironically, we were there with two guys from California, both in their 20's. They didn't go out and party either - mostly just hung out at the house and went to bed early. Travis will stock whatever you want to eat in the fridge.
Joe Lo has some great tips. I would recommend a car. A 10 minute drive up the road and you hit suburbia, with any type of chain restaraunt you want. I would be surprised if anyone has the energy to do much else (our thought was we were there to learn and ride, so why waste energy on anything else), but if a rental car doesn't break your budget (and if you are going to the Boarding School from CA I doubt it will), get one.
My son & I had a blast, and I am sure you will too. Best thing we have ever done together, and we plan to go again. The coaching is great, and (as you might expect) the coaches are great guys and fun to hang out with. Each brings a different perspective, and we learned something from each of them. Enjoy!
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-27-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Great advice all! Thanks. We can't wait to get out there.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-27-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddy View Post
My son & I went there in March. It was a great experience. LR3 said it well - you will be worn out and won't feel like doing much. Ironically, we were there with two guys from California, both in their 20's. They didn't go out and party either - mostly just hung out at the house and went to bed early. Travis will stock whatever you want to eat in the fridge.
Joe Lo has some great tips. I would recommend a car. A 10 minute drive up the road and you hit suburbia, with any type of chain restaraunt you want. I would be surprised if anyone has the energy to do much else (our thought was we were there to learn and ride, so why waste energy on anything else), but if a rental car doesn't break your budget (and if you are going to the Boarding School from CA I doubt it will), get one.
My son & I had a blast, and I am sure you will too. Best thing we have ever done together, and we plan to go again. The coaching is great, and (as you might expect) the coaches are great guys and fun to hang out with. Each brings a different perspective, and we learned something from each of them. Enjoy!
My experience in April was exactly this (also attended with my 7th grader). These were my first sets of the year, right off the couch. I was so freaking destroyed by tuesday night there was no chance I was doing anything else. It is like a whole season in a week. Every set you are trying something new. (I still suck but that's not TBS's fault).

Our other campers were from Canada and Geneva Switzerland. Coaching was great, water was great, accommodations were pretty good (we had the master, which was nice). We rented a car and went out for dinner a couple times more to justify renting the car than anything else.