Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-22-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
I just got a ronix vault 143 for my birthday and wanted to hear peoples opinions of the board. I'm a beginner to intermediate rider, 6'1 200. How does it ride, pop off the wake and stability? And experience with it helps so I can decide if its gonna stay or go?
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-23-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Just make sure that you mount your bindings correctly. The vault's bottom isn't symmetrical. The toes of your bindings should point to the side of the board where the molded in fins are closest to the outside edge. Pop isn't something that's magically made by the board, 90% of it comes from the rider's technique. If you keep the removable fins on the board you should have plenty of stability. In my opinion (and remember that's all this is) you should keep your board. Unless you're planning on hitting the water every day and trying to make this into a career, there's no reason to spend $600+ on a new board/binding setup. Don't forget that board shapes rarely change from year to year. Our wake culture has a tendency to make people one-up each other, try not to let that get in between you and the board you really want. The vault is a perfectly capable board of advanced level riding. The best board is the one that you feel most comfortable on.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-23-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
We bought this board this year for a second board and my son and I both use it. He's goofy and I'm normal ride, and I had no idea it wasn't symmetrical. We're only 2nd year boarding and still very newbs - sounds like we made a mistake.

We've noticed this board seems to pop more off the wake than our LF board we bought last year, I think the rocker is a bit steeper. We've used it without fins this year, not sure if that's a great idea or not, but it makes doing surface 180'360s easier and getting switch easier.

Ryan - sounds like this needs to be a one rider board in terms of goofy/regular combo like me and my son?
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-23-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
I think your both right on, it really just depends on the rider and style. Its not meant to ride goofy if its not setup for it tho.
It would be much more stable with the fins but I get your idea. From what Ive read, ronix makes great boards so I'm probably gonna give it a go!
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       07-23-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
The Vault can ride either goofy or regular. The board is designed for the bindings to be place on it left foot forward based on the graphic, but if your goofy you leave the bindings set up left foot forward and just ride it with the graphic going backwards. In-between the rear inserts there are two arrows that point your heel side and toe side edges.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-23-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
Yeah this board can be ridden either way. I have it. I love the stability... I cant get it to ollie as well as i could on the trip i rode. But its a great board. You dont have to adjust the bindings to ride goofy... C'mon guys lets think about this its a "toe side" edge meaning where you're toes point doesnt matter if you go 180 on the board and ride right foot forward your toes still point to the same side of the board. The Asymmetry allows you to learn to toeside jump easier b/c it will hold that edge better into the wake. its great with the fins... really locked in... but i pulled mine a week ago and wont go back to them this board is super stable without.

Last edited by jhartt3; 07-23-2012 at 6:25 PM.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-27-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
I gave it a run last night and I think its a keeper!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-27-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
its super stable thats what i like. Anyone had trouble doing an Ollie on this board? i cant get it to get air very well....
Old     (SydneyACE)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-29-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
As someone else said, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE RIDING REGULAR OR GOOFY!
Whether you're regular or goofy, the toeside-edge is the SAME edge. As long as you have the toes of your bindings on the toeside-edge (the edge where the fins are slightly larger and closer to the edge) of the board, it will ride correctly.
The only time it would make a difference is if you had the bindings set asymetrically, but that's true of ANY board.

I ride mine without fins. It's SUPER grippy and tracks very well. The toe-side definately grabs hard and pops you off the wake with little effort.

As for the Ollie. I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. I'm still learning to Ollie so my best is probably about 9 inches lol!
Maybe someone with more skills can chime in on that...

Last edited by SydneyACE; 07-29-2012 at 9:05 AM. Reason: Forgot something...