Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (soulrider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
I been wakeboarding for 13 years and this year is the first year that my right knee is really hurting. I'm surprised I haven't hurt it sooner because i take almost all my tricks into the flats including double ups

2 weeks ago I went too big on a whirly and came down with my legs straight and most my weight on my front foot and it pushed me knee the opposite way and hurt really bad. I quit for the day after that and started again 2 days later and ever since after about 10 minutes of hard riding my knee aches so bad that i can barely stand to absorb riding over rollers or even hitting the wake... the rest of the day after riding i limp and can barely walk up or down stairs or hills. I'm assuming that this is never going to go away on its own now and I think its only a matter of time before i seriously injure it and have to get surgery or therapy of some sort.

My question is I notice some pro riders where a big heavy duty looking knee brace and I'm wondering if thats because they hurt there knee and need extra support or if its to prevent a bad knee from getting completely blown? I have seen a lot of different styles and kinds and I'm wondering which one is the best and where I can get one? I'm really just looking for a way to prevent permanently destroying my knee because I'm only 23 and I'm not ready to quit riding and definitely not ready to quit riding hard and have to take it easy...
Old     (soulrider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Also I should probably add when I feel around and rub my knee when it hurts the sensitive spot is on the outside of my knee a tiny bit below the knee cap. not sure what part that is or what kind of injury it could cause but thats where the pain is
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-03-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
First, go have you knee looked at and take it easy for the rest of the season. Have fun but don't try to be a superstar. Give that knee some rest and then get a brace that works for you. Go to Academy and try out some of their. Is it the left to right that makes your knee hurt or the downward pressure?
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
ICE ICE ICE!!!!! You need to ice the hell out of it and take a few weeks off. I know it sucks not to ride but if you keep pushing it, it will get worse and more develop into a longterm issue. I know this from experience. Your knee is inflamed if you keep riding you will sustain long term damage to the cartilage.

I took a few weeks off iced and advil. I didn't ride wake at all I just surfed and Stand up paddled a ton. Now my knee is back to about 90+%.

Take the time you need to heal and like I said ICE ICE ICE!!!
Old     (soulrider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
yeah I will take your advice and just be the driver lol It sucks because I just started going hard at it again and leanred 3 new tricks in the last week... I'm progressing faster than I ever have and now there is something slowing me down!!! I just started landing most of my flip tricks switch too so I'm super addicted to keep going and get as good switch as I am regular. It's my right knee and I ride goofy so its my front foot
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-03-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider View Post
yeah I will take your advice and just be the driver lol It sucks because I just started going hard at it again and leanred 3 new tricks in the last week... I'm progressing faster than I ever have and now there is something slowing me down!!! I just started landing most of my flip tricks switch too so I'm super addicted to keep going and get as good switch as I am regular. It's my right knee and I ride goofy so its my front foot
From your description it sounds like you hyperextended your knee (bent it wrong way). There are a number of different injuries this can cause - ligament damage, torn cartilage, bone bruise, etc. Rather than just rest it, I suggest going to see and orthopedic surgeon to have them check you out. It may be that rest and strengthening are all it takes and you'll eventually return to full strength and activity. It also could be that there is something requiring surgical repair, so while rest might make it better, you'll only be back at or near 100% after surgery. If it were me I'd rather know now, and if I eventually have to have surgery anyway I'd rather tackle it soon so I get back to full activity as soon as I can. I'd hate to fight through pain and limited activity for a long period of time and then have surgery later anyway if I could have just taken care of it up front and gone on to enjoy relatively pain free activity.

All that said - a great many hyper extensions are just sprains - rest and ice with no long term repercussions. I hyperextended a knee some years back and it was problematic for several months - may have even stretched to 5-6 months - but never bothered me again.