Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-18-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
I might be taking a job which would initially move me to Sheboygan and then based on my fiance's job situation either stay there or possibly move to Port Washington....

My questions are:

Where to ride - during interviews this summer lake michigan has always been calm enough to ride, is that normal considering the common West --> East wind keeping that shore "smooth"?

Not that I expect it being close to Milwaukee/chicago, but are there any nice inland lakes/rivers with affordable homes?

.... anyone know how traffic is coming into Milwaukke from the north on 43?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
Im originally from Lake Geneva area, which is about an hour south ish of Milwaukee. There are a TON of lakes in that area to ride on, as well as a few decent river spots. I never really rode anywhere near Milwaukee, but like I said there are a ton of spots just south. I went to UW Oshkosh last year, and the drive through Milwaukee on 43 never really got too bad. Hope this Helps! PM me if you have anymore questions! Best of luck!
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-18-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
I can't speak for the river system, but around Milwaukee, there are a bunch of lakes and such.

Also, having gone to school at Marquette for the last four years, I can guarantee that the traffic is not bad at all ever.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-19-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys!

@ Travis - Lake Geneva is such an awesome place... I was down there for a while last summer for a wedding and some other work related things, beautiful lake with some INSANE houses.

@Ryan - Are the lakes near milwaukee generally $500k+ homes?.... where I would be coming from (Stevens Point Area) you can get a lake house for less than $200k and would love to remain on the water (have been my whole life) but based on the Mrs's earning potential it might reallllly tough to swing that close to the city.
Also good to know about the traffic, that will put her at ease.

If things pan out my job would actually be located in Kohler, WI (at Kohler) so Sheboygan seemed logical and then if she ends up in Milwaukee for work, I would think Port Washington would be a solid half-way point (and I loved Step-by-Step when it was on).

I recently sold our boat (to my brother) so am torn on weather to buy something similar to what I had now or wait a few years and try and scoop up something a little nicer (if there happens to be rideable areas nearby).

Thanks again for the input!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
I spend a week on Lake Geneva about once a year. Great lake to visit and very picturesque but it gets very busy during the day. Water temps were perfect. Plan on getting up early during the week to find any decent water and if you stay in the area, make a plan to hike a part of the shore path.

You are looking at 500+ for homes. Between Chicago and Milwaukee you have a lot of money chasing those properties. Geneva is full of multi-million dollar "weekend" cottages. Pull a map, there a number of skiable lakes then check Realtor.com for pricing. If you are lucky you may find something with lake rights for less than 500.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
You are looking at 500+ for homes. Between Chicago and Milwaukee you have a lot of money chasing those properties. Geneva is full of multi-million dollar "weekend" cottages.
No no no, I am not looking for that expensive, no way could I swing it.... I was just asking if 500k+ is the norm around the Milwaukee area or if there are some areas that are still "reasonable".

I come from an area where lake homes are ~$200k for move-in ready, which is where I'll probably keep looking .... I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything over $300k....
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
You're wedding planning, starting a new job & moving during this period?! You must handle stress well
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-20-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
^ He's from Wisconsin I'm sure he sucks enough beers to help with the stress

Coming from a fellow Wisconsinite.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
You're wedding planning, starting a new job & moving during this period?! You must handle stress well
Yeah, its a bit a nuts time.
The job job/move was sort of unexpected....
I've been out in the work force for ~2.5 years now and am still very happy at my current job. My fiance' - Katie, graduated just last December and moved back to her hometown, which happens to be about 25 minutes from where I work, so that was nice. She looked for a job for some time and found nothing - either no interviews or didn't interest her. Eventual she just took a position as a secretary to get some money coming in, which she absolutely hates.... After about 8 months I can tell it just drains her doing something she hates that much so I told her to look for something new where-ever she wants and I follow.... and during the search I'll apply to jobs I felt were "above" me and if something worked out, we would run with that if the location suited her career aspirations of doing Public Relations for a Non-Profit. So the search began....

She was searching pretty heavily in the La Crosse / Fox River area with no luck. Keep in mind her resume looks amazing and she has done leaps and bounds more things than I have to jazz it all up but having a degree in "Organization Communications and Marketing" apparently is pretty worthless. I sent out three resumes to her 30... after a few weeks I had three interviews lined up and she hadn't even had a call back (I felt pretty bad for her). All three of my interviews happened to be for jobs I thought were far above me experience level so even getting a callback was surprising to me.

Anyway, one of the three I instantly threw out of consideration due to the location - their posting was incorrect - and have been running with these other two - both on to a second interview - and this Milwaukee area one is onto the third interview (I would think I'm getting close) ... and during the process of interviews they actually found I wasn't going for what I had applied to be: "Process Engineer - Lean/Continuous Improvement" but was actually interviewing for "Senior Process Engineer - Lean/Continuous Improvement" so that was a nice surprise.

So yeah, lots going on in life but nothing I can't handle (and luckily her dad swooped in to pickup the wedding tab).... except wakeboarding has taken a bit of a back seat during all of this.

Quote:
He's from Wisconsin I'm sure he sucks enough beers to help with the stress
Its been far too long since my last beer, that is for sure.

This weekend Katie is out of town dress shopping, I'll probably head to Chicago to see an old roomie and catch up on that beer.