Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (twitch1oh1)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-27-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
So my buddy just recently sold his boat and now I have nothing to ride behind for the whole summer. I'm going to start searching for a boat of my own but really don't have that much cash to throw at one. I'm thinking the max I could go is about 10K and that is pushing it.

I've done some research and it seems my best bet is to find a Supra sunsport or a Malibu sunsetter for a safe bet as a good starter boat.

But I'm wondering if there are any brands lurking in the shadows that I should look for that would be a hella good deal and bang for my buck.

Thanks for the help
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-27-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
I had, and just sold a sanger I really liked. In that price range you'll be looking in the 90's most likely and be somewhat limited to dd's. Don't forget the nautique's. They're always a great option!
Old     (twitch1oh1)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-01-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
Yea I'm really searching all options. It sucks that I found out this late and summer is right around the corner so everyone that wants to sell has their prices jacked up sky high. I mean boats aren't cheap but I just don't see a 93 sunsport with a ripped up interior and a motor with a ton of hours being worth $12k.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-01-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
I got a Hydrodyne Grandsport this winter for 8750. Great solid boat. Wake it puts out is great. Especially for a boat in this price range. It was in great shape. Has a tower and only 555 hours. I searched for a year to find this deal. Boats i was looking at included Malibu Sunsetters, Sport Nautiques, Mastercraft prostars, and early 90s sunsports. I'm sure you can find somewhere on here the post that shows the best budget boats. But the Grandsport is a sleeper boat, hard to find but you can get them for a good deal.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
So what price range are you looking in? How far are you willing to drive for the deal?

Lots of guys here like spending each other's money. If you give everyone an idea what your looking for, maybe someone can give you some suggestions on specific boats to check out.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-01-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
Prices are jacked to high in spring, low end boats cost double than what they should be.
My suggestion is to either find a friend with a boat, or wait til fall to buy one.
Old     (twitch1oh1)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-19-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
I'm looking in the $10K range max.....I've found sunsports and sunsetters for around 12-18K but it still seems a little steep even for a nice one made in the mid 90s. I know they have the hulls that started it all but I mean being a decade old is still pretty old in my book. And Yea prices are rarely reasonable during the spring so I'm saving hardcore to try and pick something up during the fall and winter whenever temps drop and winterization becomes an issue.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-20-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
SN 2001....puts out a great wake under 10k
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-20-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
http://lubbock.craigslist.org/boa/3024514294.html
Old     (kpm700)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-20-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
Here's a 95 Malibu Sunsetter in Phoenix. I talked to the guy and he's definitely willing to deal. No tower, but it has perfect pass and is pretty clean. I decided to hold out for a v-drive, but thought about offering him $8k. I bet you could get it close to that.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2949574054.html
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       05-20-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
I paid $11.5k for my '95 Sunsetter w/600 hours last summer, I haggled the guy down from $14K. The Sunsetter suits my needs, it's got tons for room for a direct drive, a wake that satisfies me, and a pretty decent surf wake. It's leaps and bounds better then my old 87 Dixie Skier 19' direct drive I had for 10 years. I added hyrophase speed control, some more racks and in the process of plumbing it for ballast. I was really wanting to get into a V-Drive but I was unable to find one under $20K around here. It was by far the best bang for my buck with the local selection at the time.

My uncle just sold his 87 Supra Saltaire last week for $7.5K, it's was pretty cherry with good stringers/floors and redone upholstery. He sold it the day it was listed! You're gonna need to stalk the classifieds and be ready pull the trigger immediately to jump on a good deal as they go fast.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 05-20-2012 at 5:48 PM.
Old     (twitch1oh1)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-20-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
wow you guys can find some deals....I'm diggin all those boats....I just bought a polaris atv as a fixer upper not too long ago so I'm short on cash right now. But the idea is to fix the quad and make a quick few grand and try to buy a boat with the extra dough and not be throwing myself at the mercy of the economy. Keep these deals coming though....I'm seeing some really sweet rides.