Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-17-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
We have a 1987 Ski Nautique 2001. Loaded with 1500 lbs of ballast. (Sometimes they drain the sacs, sometimes they don't) My husband and son seem to think that it is ok to ALWAYS allow the boat to sit in the dark, dirt floor garage every day with out EVER allowing the interior to "sun" dry. We had the interior re-apholstered 2 years ago and alot of rotting wood was also replaced.
I think that if the boat is not going to used the following day and there is time it should be allowed to "dry" out. To me this only makes common sense.
Please help to settle this disagreement , what are your thoughts?
Denise
Old    upupnaway            08-17-2003, 2:33 PM Reply   
Even in the sun my floor gets a little funky under the sacs if I do not take them out. I cannot imagine how bad it would get in a cool, dark, mildew friendly enviroment.
Let them do what they want to do, and put them in charge of cleaning it up every other week. That will settle it quickly.
Old    wakesettermom            08-17-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
I was kind of wondering about the same thing. Our boat has a funky mildew smell everytime we take it out. We try to clean out the boat everytime it's used, but sometimes it goes weeks. We will sometimes put the boat in the garage with the seats still on it, which has to be a huge factor to the smell. If any one has any ideas, please let me know.

Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-17-2003, 4:40 PM Reply   
Sun dry if you get a chance. Otherwise air out the boat indoors. Flip all of the seats up and open all the hatches.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-17-2003, 4:59 PM Reply   
Install a couple of ceiling fans in the garage, over the boat.
Old     (rodeo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
A friend of mine uses some stuff he got at walgreens or somewhere. Its a white pebbly stuff that absorbs water. he keeps it in cups around the floor interior. not sure what its called but it shouldn't be hard to find
Old    nohalfboats            08-17-2003, 11:08 PM Reply   
Definetly EMPTY the ballasts when towing or storing and let dry before storing especially with wood throughout your boat.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2003, 11:25 PM Reply   
what he said
Old    sickboy            08-18-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
I have a de-humidifier(sp?), that plugs into the wall. Never have to replace those little white things (messy). I got it at overtons for about $30. just put it in your garage somewhere, it will keep everything nice and dry.

mb
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Once the mildew smell starts, and inevitably it will; the best solution is spraying Febreeze on your carpet. Hopefully you don't have mildew inside seat cushions, that's more difficult to eradicate. Since we've starting using Febreeze all the funky mildew odors have disappeared.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
You can pick up the white pebbley stuff with a dispenser at Home Depot for $6. The white pebbles absorb the moisture and drop it down into a dish. They last for about 1-2 months. A new pack of white pebbles cost $1. They are called dry-airs. It works great for us. After we are done riding we throw it inside the boat, throw the cover on and the next day everything is dried out.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-18-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
Keep it coming folks, all suggestions are really good! And ya know, not expensive fix's either...
Bottom line, this is a good wakeboard boat, (considering she didn't "start" life being one) not had many problems with her (that weren't human error), she's got 1500 hours on her and best of all??? She's PAID for, a long time ago...If you take good care of your "stuff" it'll take good care of you, huh?
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-18-2003, 8:27 PM Reply   
Every time my boat gets into the water, as soon as I get home everything comes out of it, all seat cousions, boards, vests, everything. I just sold my 1989 2001 nautique this summer and the interior was perfect, actually better than the 2000 pro air I purchased. Thats because I let it air dry, leaving it in the sun for the afternoon is great for drying them out. I wouldn't suggest leaving them out for more than the day. Leaving your boat wet and in a moist area is just going to rot things, if it smells like mildew there is a reason and its not good. What will happen is you'll be replacing the interior again. A little extra work will save you some money down the road, and keep your investment worth top dollar.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-19-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
I do the same as Deven,everything comes out and I let it sun dry in the 105 degree Texas sun.
Old    blind5            08-19-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
wip it down/let it dry
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-19-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
What do you suggest for getting home at night?

Most of my riding is after work, and we usually don't pull the boat out until dark, therefore I don't have the option of letting it sun dry afterwards. The boat doesn't fit in the garage, so it must stay outside.
Are the white pebbles my best bet?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-19-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Rick,

I usually get home at night as well. I just leave it out the next day to sun dry. My boat does not fit in my garage as well
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
depending where you live (like me in Fl) those white pebbles wont do jack in 90 % humidity, park it without cover under canopy/shelter to air out all the time
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
LET IT DRY...LET IT DRY...LET IT DRY...

I just spent several hours yesterday cleaning and drying out all the connectors on my motor, and then spraying CRC and WD40 everywhere b/c I had a moisture/electrical issue and the boat died.

I do contribute this to the fact that we have gotten more rain here in NJ this summer than the Amazon, and even though the boat cover breathes, it takes many days of no rain and low humidity (which does not happen in Jersey) for the boat to dry out sufficiently.

The boat was open with everything out of it for 11 hours in the sun yesterday during the work, and dried out pretty good. I will have it open all weekend as well!

Just my $.02
KG

ps - This is the first mechanical/electrical issue I have had with the boat in 312 hours. I took the boat out after the work, and it performed perfect!