Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-19-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
And Pilot walks away
http://video.ap.org/?f=CASON&pid=diY...oTMqOtC_iHpeSt

WOW, I have had this Exact same thing happen to me while flying my RC plane. Called folding a wing, Its the worst feeling watching your plane tumble to the ground and you cant do anything.
I cant imaging what it would feel like to have this happen to you in a real plane.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-19-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Did you see the other video on that page about the steel foot bridge from Mexico to Texas? Duh! geez
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-19-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
And Pilot walks away
http://video.ap.org/?f=CASON&pid=diY...oTMqOtC_iHpeSt

WOW, I have had this Exact same thing happen to me while flying my RC plane. Called folding a wing, Its the worst feeling watching your plane tumble to the ground and you cant do anything.
I cant imaging what it would feel like to have this happen to you in a real plane.
kit plane with removable wings...it'll be interesting to see the final accident investigaiton report.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-19-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Did you guys see the vid of the airforce pilot that ejected at an airshow last week. He got clear about 2 seconds before the jet hit the ground. He was so close to the fireball from the plane that he sustained burns. Insane.

Incidently.... I've never seen a plane with a parachute. I'd feel much better the next time I boarded a Southwest flight if I knew the plan had a giant parachute. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Hows this horror? Both wings on a glider.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ll-glider.html
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       08-19-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post

Incidently.... I've never seen a plane with a parachute. I'd feel much better the next time I boarded a Southwest flight if I knew the plan had a giant parachute. Ha, ha, ha.

Actually Cirrus Aircraft has had parachutes on thier planes for about 10-15 years now. Called the CAPS system...

http://cirrusaircraft.com/parachute/
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-19-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
I was at an airshow once when a stunt planes fabric ripped off the wings. It was so low (couple hundred feet) that the pilot had to throw the parachute out before he exited the plane. We were leaving and almost to the car when heard the pop and saw the guy jump out. We jumped into the car and headed to where the plane was going down. It only took seconds for it to burn to a smoldering pile.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-19-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
Sadly the 'chutes on the cirrus aircraft have to be deployed properly otherwise they might as well not even be on the aircraft. Within the first few uses of those chutes, a few ended up being deployed before the pilot slowed the aircraft down enough and the pilot ended up paying the price...
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-19-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
What about this from a recent Red Bull Air Race?