Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Rick Perry, my Texas Governor has lost all credibility with me.

"there is hope for America, and we will find it on our knees," (I want to make a joke so bad)

"We have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters. As a nation, we must come together, and call upon Jesus to guide us..."

I'm going to follow his lead. I will tell my boss today that I'm not coming into work because I decided that praying at home will be more productive. When he tells me I'll be fired for not coming into work, I will tell him not to worry, because I already decided to pray that HR will forget to take me off the payroll.

Religion in politics makes me sick to my stomach, and worries me even more about the kind of people we have running this country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_871687.html
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-06-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
AGREE! IMO this really just amounts to blatant pandering to the religious right, though. I have a real hard time believing that it's genuine.

Don't forget, we are also now forcing victims of rape and incest to view a sonogram before they can get an abortion. The HPV vax and Trans-TX Corridor are another couple of my favs. I also appreciate that we're paying $10k/mo to rent him a house while the Gov's Mansion is rebuit from the ground TWICE to the tune of $20M+.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Them GOP candidates keep dropping like flies. Is it even possible that they have somebody left to mount a plausible opposition?

I really don't think Jesus is an expert on monetary policy and economics.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-06-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
He sounds like that goof Glenn Beck.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Wow. I didn't even think about rape victims having to view the songrams too...what a slap in the face! Why don't they make the victim and the raper attend counseling to see if they can work things out.

Off topic, but we need abortion! The global population is WAY out of control. In fact we should offer free abortion to the poor so we don't have to pay for so many damn people leeching off welfare. Maybe mobile abortion clinics should be looked into, or abortion drives. I hate to say it, but working on the South Side of San Antonio I see the most vile, hoodrat, tattoo'd people with a ton of kids...and most of them are teens to early 20's. I'm 27, and I'm waiting to have children until I'm certain I can finnacially support and sustain the cost of having a child....pisses me off having to support other people kids.

Anyway, Rick Perry is an idiot. I can't wait to see how his brilliant pray plan works out for us.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-06-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
How will you know if it works? If the state of things in TX or in the nation has a massive upturn are you really gonna attribute it to Rick's plan?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-06-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
FYI the earths population isn't any where near its capacity to sustain us. If you took all the people in the world and put them together, all 6.3 Billion could fit in the space they call Jacksonville Florida. The earth can take on much more population then it has now. John, the Bible has much to say about Money and economics. I'm thinking to myself yeah, what does the creator of the Universe know about economics? That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

As far as the Governors comments, I'm right there with him. If you read the Bible as a history book, every time the people lived according to Gods laws, they prospered, every time they sinned and tried it their own way, they failed. God is not mocked, what we sow we hall also reap. Alright bring on the flaming.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
I'm thinking to myself yeah, what does the creator of the Universe know about economics?
According to a lot of Christians, about as much as he knows about evolution.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-06-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
"If you took all the people in the world and put them together, all 6.3 Billion could fit in the space they call Jacksonville Florida."

This may be one of the more asinine things I have read lately. I don't believe anyone is arguing the space issue, I believe that they are arguing about the resources to sustain a exponentially-growing population along with the waste the population contributes. Especially, when most nations (including the US) thinks it is acceptable to dump waste into the drinking water supply.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-06-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
I simply wanted to point our that the worlds population is certainly not out of control as some might want us to believe, So far everyone is looking at this from a secular point of view, I am simply bringing in the Biblical point of view, Before Israel re-established herself as a nation again, the land was parched and dry, nobody even thought it was inhabitable. look what has happened, The tiny nation of Israel produces the best fruit on the planet. The once dry parched land has turned into an incredible fertile soil. This was prophesied over 2000 years ago. God has the ability to bless or curse the land. There are many countries that have had drought year after year, these countries have not had the ability to produce any of their own food.

Many times the reason fro this is spiritual, if you believe in God you must also believe in the Devil, The Bible says the thief comes not but to kill steal and destroy. When we live our lives in direct accordance against the laws of God, it gives the Devil authority over you. If a whole nation is doing it, the same holds true for that nation. I have seen missionaries go to countries where they hadn't seen rain in years, in one instance God showed one of the missionaries in a vision that the tribe had actually sold their souls to the devil. After they prayed over each person in the village, the very next day rain came. I know most of you will laugh and flame me for that last comment, but it is true.

We war not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in high places. The Texas Governor knows what he is talking about, I would rather have a man in office who understands spiritual things and recognizes our need to go back and become one nation under God!!!!!!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-06-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
"I simply wanted to point our that the worlds population is certainly not out of control as some might want us to believe"

But what you said had no relevance unless someone was arguing there was not enough space on the planet for the population to stand.

"The Texas Governor knows what he is talking about, I would rather have a man in office who understands spiritual things and recognizes our need to go back and become one nation under God!!!!!!"

What does the bible say about hypocrisy? And we were never the "one nation under God" you claim.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
When I read some of the crap above, I'm so glad we have separation of church and state in this country. Let's hope it stays that way.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-06-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
If you read the Bible as a history book, every time the people lived according to Gods laws, they prospered, every time they sinned and tried it their own way, they failed.
I for one am pretty sure the bible wouldn't be quite as convincing if it wasn't written that way.

Last edited by jtnz; 06-06-2011 at 8:00 PM. Reason: quoting
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-06-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
"After they prayed over each person in the village, the very next day rain came"
then, the next week, they prayed again and the rain did not come so they beheaded the missionaries and ate them for lunch!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2011, 10:50 PM Reply   
Oh no! You mean the Texas governor is exercising his faith and asking other like minded individuals to join him?!!!! OH EM GEE!!!! Whatever will the heathens do?
Attached Images

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-07-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
"Religion in politics makes me sick to my stomach, and worries me even more about the kind of people we have running this country."

Weren't just about all of our founding fathers Christians? Yeah, I guess they did a pretty poor job setting up the government of this country.....just saying....
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
"Weren't just about all of our founding fathers Christians? Yeah, I guess they did a pretty poor job setting up the government of this country.....just saying...."

No, as a matter of fact, just about all of the founding fathers were not Christians.

George Washington-not a Christian
Thomas Jefferson-not a Christian
Ben Franklin-not a Christian
James Madison-not a Christian
Thomas Paine-not a Christian

"Anyone who would still insist that the intention of the founding fathers was to establish a Christian nation should review a document written during the administration of George Washington. Article 11 of the Treaty with Tripoli declared in part that "the government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion..." (Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States, ed. Hunter Miller, Vol. 2, U. S. Government Printing Office, 1931, p. 365)."
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-07-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Richard, they gave us a good foundation...yes.

I wouldn't say they got everything right this first time around. Thomas Jefferson wrote a law in 1778 that any man who was found guilty of sodomy be castrated. Things change when we as a human race become more intelligent. We realized black people are people too, and should have equal rights...we adjusted our laws accordingly, same with women rights, and many other topics. The fact that religion was developed by man for various reasons, to include our natural survival instincts should be recognized too, but I know that will never happen. The point is, believe in God, Budda, Spahgetti Monster, whatever....just don't promote it in your political agenda, and certainly don't use it as a solution to our problems.

Last edited by bendow; 06-07-2011 at 8:16 AM.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-07-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Flight, the global human population is running rampant. There is no doubt it's out of control. I don't know when the Bible was written, but I do know the population at that time was not even remotely close to todays population. Trying to relate a story from 2000 years ago to todays current events is completely illogical.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
WHOA! Flight, are you for real?

The global population is going crazy! While you may be able to fit the population into a relatively small area, the infastructure required to food and house all of those people is insane. Do you not understand how much farmland is required to feed that many people? And you can't just use the same land over and over, you have to cycle crops or else you wear out the soil and nothing will grow. So at any given point there is essentially unplantable land because the nutrients in the soil need time to come back.

This isn't some left wing hippy anti-God view either, this is common sense this is how the world works stuff. For you to say that we can sustain a much larger population because the land required to house them all exists just makes you sound like a complete and total imbecile. I'm not saying you are, you just sound that way.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
No, as a matter of fact, just about all of the founding fathers were not Christians.
No Jeremy, you got it wrong. You should have quoted "History According to Sarah Palin".
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-07-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
Richard, they gave us a good foundation...yes.

I wouldn't say they got everything right this first time around. Thomas Jefferson wrote a law in 1778 that any man who was found guilty of sodomy be castrated. Things change when we as a human race become more intelligent. We realized black people are people too, and should have equal rights...we adjusted our laws accordingly, same with women rights, and many other topics. The fact that religion was developed by man for various reasons, to include our natural survival instincts should be recognized too, but I know that will never happen. The point is, believe in God, Budda, Spahgetti Monster, whatever....just don't promote it in your political agenda, and certainly don't use it as a solution to our problems.
Nice points!

I can't believe Sam has not chimed in here yet! ;-) In all seriousness, though I rarely agree with him, I do enjoy reading his POV backed up with facts & especially when it's made with brevity.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
I simply wanted to point our that the worlds population is certainly not out of control as some might want us to believe,

Nah.... we're good.

In 12 years I'll be 35... I am going to run for president on this platform:
I'm NOT a politician - I'm normal and when I ass-**** you, at least I'll give you a heads up.
God will not save our country, we will (or at least we'll try).
I can't be worse than the 2000s..... VOTE FOR ME!
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Nice rally folks. We have someone calling for active genocide against a specific class of people and you guys are after the guy who calls for prayer? Nice. Stay classy.

Trace, that is a bunch of intellectually dishonest BS. Starters, what does that have to do with the topic? Second, you obviously have not studied what Planned Parenthood has done to perpetuate abortion. They purposely will not let women see the sonogram so they will go through with the abortion which equals more money for their bottom line. It is not about providing a service, it is about fund raising. Why don't you look up the stats of actual rape and incest abortions compared to the whole instead of making such inflamitory remarks.

You may say that the founding fathers were not Christian but you want to bet the book they ALL learned to read from?

We pay farmers even today to not farm their land. Don't give me this over population business. Sounds to me you are not against population, but only against poor people.
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
I also loved the so called "as we got more intelligent" comment that was quoted. By the looks of things, the intelligence factor is way down as we "progress". I bet very few of you could even grow or hunt your own food to stay alive. Who is more intelligent. People who know math or people who grow the food to keep you from starving?
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
hey John what has Sara Palin said or done that has your Palin hard on meter going? Sounds like you are geared up like your hate all things Bush hard on from before. And they say people get smarter as we "progress"? Sounds like the same hate for the sake of hate club to me. No mind needed to join.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-08-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
"You may say that the founding fathers were not Christian"

Correction...I don't say, history says. It's really simple to research, you just have to set your beliefs to the side. Look it up Delta.

"but you want to bet the book they ALL learned to read from?"

Do you have evidence to back that statement? For arguments sake, assume that is true. Many of us learned to read from Cat in the Hat, does that make us Seussians?
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
Nice difference Jeremy. With peoples understanding on this board in regards to finance and human nature, I would absolutely believe that most people on this board are Seussians. I can find no other logical rational to the way you believe things the way you do.

The bible is the most used book in the history of the United States to teach children how to read. Society was grew up with Christian beliefs even though not all of them were themselves church going Christians by today's standards. The book was read in nearly every home in the land. Set your beliefs aside. Look it up Jeremy.
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Also, Jeremy. For people who did not believe in God, there were certainly a lot of references to a supreme being on all the founding fathers writings. I did not think atheists believed in a God?
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
Who cares what the founding fathers religious beliefs were anyway? First of all, that was over 200 years ago. And anyway they made it clear that government and religion should be separate. Would you really argue that that's NOT a good thing? Believe whatever religion you want and be happy with it. Pray in churches, homes or wherever. There's plenty of time for that stuff on your own.

As far as this idiot governor praying for solutions to these crises? If that's your solution and belief, vote in a professional preacher or priest as governor next time. Personally, I'd like someone a little smarter than that and who can come up with real solutions. Isn't there a saying about God helps those who helps themselves?
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-08-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
Delta - For someone who loves to dig into the most minute detail of a person's response in order to debunk what they say or back up your own point, I find it funny that you threw the word "atheists" into this... I think you'll find you were the first to use it. No one said that the founding fathers were atheists... it was said that many of them weren't Christians. And that is absolutely true. There was a fairly varied range of beliefs among them. I can only imagine that, that is one of the reasons why they didn't want religion in government.
As for learning to read from the bible... doesn't that make it all the more interesting that such intelligent, educated men chose to ignore the writings there and form their own opinions about the good of the people?!?
As far as I can tell, the general gist of this thread is that people find it a little nuts for a politician who is supposed to be thinking and acting on behalf of the people to choose to simply pray rather than actually think and work toward a better end. He's suggesting that things be left completely in the hands of God... which, let's face it, has NEVER worked. Continuing to do something over and over but expect different results is often referred to as insanity. Do people really think God would want that? If your house is flooding and you have a boat, I think he'd rather you get in it and row away... rather than to just keep on praying as the water rises over your face.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-08-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
I also loved the so called "as we got more intelligent" comment that was quoted.
You misquoted me. I said "as we became more intelligent" Your retarded

hehe...jk bro.

You don't mind the Texas Governor using prayer as a solution to our problems because he's praying to the same God you do. What if instead, he was Islamic, and said he was going to pray to Ala, or the Islamic version of God? Would you think that'd be a pretty dumb?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-08-2011, 5:06 PM Reply   
Brett/Rich, enjoyed the common sense. Well said.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
You misquoted me. I said "as we became more intelligent" Your retarded
You're not.
Old    deltahoosier            06-08-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
Rich. I used atheist as to point to the opposite end of the spectrum when people say that the founding fathers were not christian. Considering none of us would believe they were budhists of muslim. The point is, people are trying to argue they were without God in their lives (thus more atheistic in their beliefs). If you want, I can break down every single in between for you to make you feel better about the conversation.

Just because they did not want religion in government did not mean they did not want God in their or our lives. That is why they made many a reference to God. They understand as much as we do that most religions are man made control mechanisms just as government is. Heck, they had to look no further than the Church of England. They were educated by the bible. They did not turn their backs on the bible. They were turning their backs on man made institutions of the day.

On the gist of the post. Do people really believe that a Governor is really throwing his hands up and leaving it prayer? No wonder you guys voted for Obama. You are so easily swayed by your prejudice that you would actually believe that this is what he is doing and nothing else? Really? Come on. Use some common sense for petes sake. He is talking about getting back to basics. He was elected as a Christian man. Would you like him to turn his back on his belief system when times get tough?

I still stand by my statement. We had someone calling for genocide in this thread and you still want to talk hyperbole about a guy who said that the people in his state should pray? Really?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-08-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
"The point is, people are trying to argue they were without God in their lives (thus more atheistic in their beliefs)."

That is how you take it. I did not try to "argue they were without God in their lives", I simply said they were not Christians. Not being a Christian does not imply one is "atheistic in their beliefs" (if anything I would argue that many were more agnostic in many of their beliefs). Is the Dalai Lama an atheist? Was Gandhi an atheist? A little research would show you that many of the "founding fathers" were deists, which would hardly meet your criteria for an eternal life in heaven. And your remark saying that "they did not turn their backs on the bible" is a bit misguided.

The only reason founding fathers and Christianity was even brought up was due to the post above my response:

"Weren't just about all of our founding fathers Christians? Yeah, I guess they did a pretty poor job setting up the government of this country.....just saying...."
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-08-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
You're not.
Either you didn't pick up on the joke, or you're pointing out you noticed it.
Old    deltahoosier            06-09-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Jeremy, the crux of most peoples argument is the founding fathers did not have a christian belief system when writing the original laws of the land. They may not be all church joining Christians but they were heavily influenced by the bible as were a large portion of the people in the colonies. I think it is safe to say they were not influenced by other religions at the time since most were of European descent. Then throw in the biggest text book of the day was the Christian bible, it means they were more influenced by Christianity than any other religion. To argue that they were deists by definition makes the argument that the deity they believed in was the Christian god of the bible. Thus they were aligned with the Christian belief system for morals and general code of conduct including approach to finances. That is why I believe the only counter argument that anyone can be making when they say they are not Christian is that they must be inferring they are are atheists considering the only real influence of the time was Christianity in some form.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
hey John what has Sara Palin said or done that has your Palin hard on meter going? Sounds like you are geared up like your hate all things Bush hard on from before. And they say people get smarter as we "progress"? Sounds like the same hate for the sake of hate club to me. No mind needed to join.
She's an icon of the ridiculous. She's not really upping my hard on meter, but some of the photoshops of her in a bikini came close.

Still crying in your beer about the lack of love for Bush eh?

Last edited by fly135; 06-09-2011 at 8:40 AM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-09-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Delta, that is you making assumptions to justify your stance, some of which may be substantiated, but in fairness, some will not. It has been stated (see my earlier post) that the "original laws of the land" were not based on Christian beliefs. Because they were deists, does not necessarily make that the "Christian god of the bible" their respected deity. That is you trying to make that connection. If anything, I think that further evidences an openness to all beliefs (including non-belief) and their desire to keep government out of the religion business altogether.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-09-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." - Hunter S. Thompson