Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-27-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hey All,

So we've had a little rain hear in the mid-Atlantic and the ole cover leaks like crazy (acrylic canvas)...

I've read up on waterproofing and I find that the deal is to use a petroleum based product - like what? I'd like to find something inexpensive and non-marine as I'm sure (as usual) if it says marine - triple the price (at least)...plus my cover's huge, I'd need gallons...

So has anybody tried alternatives - Thompson's WaterSeal?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-27-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
303 makes a boat cover spray. I don't think I'd try the Thompsons.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I used a brick waterproofer which was very similar to thompson's weather seal but cheaper.

It works a treat. Now if I forget to put the pole on the bow cover it will pool but not leak through, not even a drip.

Well worth doing. Oh and my boats 22ft and I used about 3 litres out of a 5 litre can.

(Message edited by jayc on June 27, 2006)
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-27-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Hey Jay,

Thanks man, I will try it...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-27-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
You do not want to completely seal the boat cover. It needs to be able to breath just like GoreTex or the interior will never dry out.

Nikwax is a product that can be purchased at any good outdoor store for around $11.00 a bottle. I buy it from REI. Start by washing your boat cover in an industrial washing machine at a laundry mat. Then wash it again with Tx Direct Wash in.
http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

I stored my boat outdoors for 7 years and did this routinely to my covers. After a giant rain storm I pulled the cover back and the boat was perfectly dry. Not allowing any puddles to form on the cover is very important also.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
dose the nikwax also keep the sun from rotting out the cover. My boat is outdoors and I go through a cover about every 3 yrs. I am goin to have a cover made this winter, tired of the one size fits all and for $850 I hate to see it last only 3 yrs.
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
303 is great stuff, the water just beads up and rolls off
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-27-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Phillip, you need a good quality cover and it will last years. I bought one from Overton's who use a company in Arizona or least used too. They are custom made to each boat and trailer for that matter. They called me to ask what my trailer was and if it had bow stops that the cover needed to fit around, along with if I wanted the swim platform mounted or removed with the cover on. I was very happy with the fit. My Sunbrella cover lasted 4 years outside, a couple more inside and looked great when I sold the boat. Clicky

Personally I would not use 303 on my cover, as I would want it to breathe which prevents mildew buildup.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
I have tried the 303 on the cover, it still just turns to paper. I put the 303 in a garden sprayer and applied it a couple of times over the past couple of yrs.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-28-2006, 12:53 AM Reply   
My cover still breathes fine with the waterproofer on it. I know this as I often have to but the boat away wet and next time I come to use it the carpet is alwasy dry and no condensation build up so the moisture must be working its way out.