Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-13-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
Over the weekend I went to the local stereo shop and was checking out the new dry cell batteries they are carrying, They are very small about the size of a motorcycle battery but slightly bigger, and can last more than a few days with out charging, great for a seconded battery, in fact this battery can send more juice to your amp faster than any other battery out there,
Around 200.00 for the HC1400

http://www.kinetikpower.com
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2005, 5:41 AM Reply   
Ken absorbed glass mat is an acid filled-lead battery?? Plus the one you posted is listed at 350 nclams??
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
These are the same as the Optimas, Sealed Non-Spillable. NOT DRY CELLS.

The HC1400 is 350 bucks, AND it has 60amp hours, I think I will stick with the blue tops that have 55 amp hours but for 140 bucks. 5 amp hours is like nothing really.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Ken,

If size were an issue, that would definitely be the way to go. Most of us are looking for the heaviest battery possible.

Where can the cheapest Optimas be found? My costco has them for $142. I looked briefly online and can't find them cheaper. My Sears has them for $159. `
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Wow thoes are some nice battery's, Luke yes they are more $ then the optima, but they are way smaller. If you look pound for pound or size for size these batterys look good, Im going to look closer into these batterys Thanks Ken
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Grant, Did you ever check out the Odysseys?
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-14-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
Odysseys are great. That is all we use to run in our jetskis.
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Yes I have seen the Odyssey's. They are smaller than the optimas but the amp hrs are smaller, They seem to be pound for pound size for size what a optima is. No big differance in my book.
The Kinetick bats seem to be the first battery I have seen that is smaller and more amp hr's than a Optima,
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Before everyone starts posting how many amp hrs there faverote battery has, keep this in mind
A optima IMO is the bench mark.

ask your self these question's
#1 Size for size does it have more or less amp hr's than a Blue top (55 Amp Hrs)

Ok if your battery has pased the first test, and Its smaller and has more than 55 Amp hrs, how much do they cost
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Grant, I know this has been posted before, but what about some of the 6v batteries? The exide 3600 has 220ah w/ 2 in series for a little over $100. If youre limited for space, then this not the way to go. But if space isnt a prob, then wouldnt you be better off with 2 6v? Will they last as long as the optima before a charge is necessary? Too many battery choices dang it!!!
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
Paul yes you are correct, It has been talked about many times.

Example
2 Huge golf cart batterys linked together to create 12 Volts. A comon battery is a US 2200 6 Volt golf cart battery there are many sizes and shapes but this one will give you 255 amp hrs, Thats like 5 blue top battery's. The US 2200 are like 11 inch tall. Not everyone has that type of space, So your correct, If you have the space and you dont mind adding water to them then they are a Great and cheep alternative to blue top's

The golf cart batterys should be mounted in there own box because they can leek and the should be mounted flat so all the cells can remain submerged.
Old    wuneyewilly            04-14-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Hey Grant....if you wouldnt mind, why not throw together the A, B, C's and DOs vs. DONTs for alternator upgrades, battery upgrades, perko switches, isolators(std & non-diode), etc...based on your experience and knowledge

I keep seeing the same Qs over and over, and it would be nice to see a DYI for an alt upg and 2+ batts that takes it from start to finish with everything in between...like making sure it's a marine alt, one wire(self exciter) vs std, need fused pwr to isolators, relays, daisy chaining +/-, hi out put alts and gel cells...the whole inside scoop in one spot.

Or maybe anyone that knows the many ways of hooking up batts & alts. If you go to Hellroaring.com and check their isolators, there are like 7-8 ways to wire 2+ batts, and alt and an isolator...
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-14-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
I posted this for a suggestion for people out there looking to run a second battery in there boat. I didn’t think that this was going to be a big major issue about batteries, I didn’t think that people would respond to say that this battery is better than this one or size does or doesn’t matter, this is not what to use. So what up.
Sure I like the size cause I cant find a spot for it easily, and it doesn’t way 50 million tons. And for the price you see in the web site it says suggested retail price, Do you really think that you will have to buy it for that at the store, I can buy it at the stereo store for 200.00.

Do you think that a person that works at a stereo store would no more about stereos and installing them or do you think that a person that reads articles on the internet and works for Safeway knows more.
I would tend to ask questions at my local stereo shop and trust them more…
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
Ken is correct! people at the stereo shops know more than people that read articals on the internet. I will re direct all my stereo questions to the local shop from now on.
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
wuneyewilly: thats a good Idea, but as some one said theres more than one way to skin a cat. I have seen servral ways to add battery's so it might get into my way is better than yours, LOL

my advice is ask someone you trust, and go with it. you can ask 4 people the same question and get 4 diffrent ways to do it. all of them good just diffrent way's
Old    hyperryd            04-14-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Grant, aren't you the "local" stereo shop now?
Old    whitechocolate            04-14-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
John LOL