Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (wakeecuador)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-15-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Does anybody use earplugs for wakeboarding?

I got smashed my eardum a year ago, and I thought it would be a good idea to use them just in case.

Does somebody knows if this is dangerous?

Speedo Earplug
Upload
Old    Johnny Wadd            03-15-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Oscar,
I use these for everything. http://www.proplugs.com/
I have a pretty good case or "surfers ear" and once the water is in it doesn't want to come out. I have used that style of ear plugs in the past but the Docs are way more comfortable.
Board More/Work Less!
Wadd$
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
I got swimmers ear last summer and it was the most horrible pain i have ever been in.
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-15-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
Use them all the time when boat riding. Busted an eardrum once, don't need that sensation again. Its actually peaceful to not hear anything when I ride.
Old     (jbenbri)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-15-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
I busted a eardrum once. Used plugs for a while. Friend of mine busted his three times. Your local ENT doc can make a "custom" set for you. Molded for your ears.
Old    logan_adams            03-15-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
Busted mine before also. Silly putty works wonders and sealed better than anything I tried!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-15-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Doesn't a helmet help?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-15-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
I use the proplugs also. They are vented so they allow sound in without letting in the water. I recommend them. You don't want a busted eardrum or have surgery for swimmers/surfers ear.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
I've done mine twice.

not always Dane. When the pressure of the water hits your helmet, that flap over your ear delivers the same pressure surge you get from the water. The water doesn't have to enter your ear to damage the membrain. I watched it happen at wakeboard camp to a guy wearing a surfing helmet. Same idea as cupping your hand over your ear.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-15-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
I use the pictured plugs and they work great (from CVS $4 a pair). I just cut off about a half inch of the part sticking out of the ear so they are not so conspicuous.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-16-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
I started wearing my helmut last year and found it really helps to keep the water out
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-16-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Over the last 2 years I have busted both eardrums. During the healing process, while riding, I used the wax type of ear plugs. I tell everyone to ride once with ear plugs. What a cool sensation. On a warm day with decent water, try to ride without your sense of hearing. Maybe it was just me...but the sence of peace and serenity.....very different.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-16-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Went riding the other day in cold water and was the only one that experienced massive pain in my ears. Was told it was simply from the cold water. It went away completely after about 1/2 hour. Never had this problem before. Do I have swimmers ear? Thinking of wearing those ear plugs too.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I was actually thinking of tryig out the Liquid Tunes for both eardrum protection and some beats while riding.

Billy has blown his eardrums a couple times and ended up riding most of the year last year with ear plugs.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-16-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Evan If you ride behind J-rods boat why do you need the liquid tunes? The nvs are not loud enough?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Someone was talking about the Top American Emergency Room visits for Sports injuries. One of the (I think he said) top 3 injuries for wakeboarding were surgical removal of ear plugs. I think he said Concussions were number one, with Lacerations number two.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Interesting.... At least with the liquid tunes you could just pull them back out by the cords. LOL.

Eric: behind his boat you need the earphones to knock the volume down to less than deafning levels.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I would go with the plugs that fill up your outer ear aswell like the pro-plugs. I've heard of quite a few occasions of the small ear plugs being pushed through the ear drum, I wouldn't think it would be that easy but apparently it happens.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-16-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
It seems that the physical chances of that happening are slim, I could be wrong though. There is not much surface area on an earplug for water to push hard enough to force through the inner ear during a fall. You have a much much greater chance of blowing your eardrum w/o the plugs.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-16-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
cosmocat...I use them all the time with no problem. I also cut off the excess tip so they don't stick out of the ear canal.

Rob kc...I agree...it's nice not hearing anything but your own breathing out there
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Cool!

This is the first I have heard of plugs being pushed into the ear.

(Message edited by jarrod on March 16, 2006)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
trust me I thought it was odd the first time I heard it too.
the way you blow out an ear drum is having a pocket of air trapped in your ear when you slap the water or descend to quickly, so in theary the plug through the ear is highly unlikely, but I keep hearing about it.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
If surgical removal of ear-plugs made a top 10 list on Emergency Room Wakeboard related injuries...It must be happening. I wish who ever had access to that info would chime in here..
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
wasnt there a dude who actually did a study on that? Ages ago, he was researching injuries of wakeboarders.
But all the cases I've heard about the plug through the ear drum, none of them are wakeboarders, mostly boaters/sailors.