Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-08-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
From the money point of view......

I would love to see ANYONE nail a 1080, but does anyone feel that the "Pros" are not really trying to do it because some people would give them flack about it. I mean, some people would call it "the rich getting richer". I really thing that if Parks, Harf, or Soven REALLY wanted to to it, they would get a camera man and try it for a week. Several of the pros have supposedly landed it and even more of them are getting SOOOOOO close.

I think the pros don't want to do it because the would get beef for entering themselves into a competition that semi-designed for the public/amateurs. I think the only way a pro will do it would be in a tournament. That would really cool in my book. But if a pro did it on his spare time, to me, it would be a little lame. I would rather some amateur pull it off for the cash.

I guess I am for seeing new talent and spreading the wealth.

Does anyone see my point??? What do you guys think???
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       06-08-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
I agree. I'd just like to see someone nail one, and it be over with. However, I think it'd be pretty sweet if some amateur captured the official title, over a pro. It's definitely a BIG trick, that'd be a huge accomplishment.

I think SD/SV local, Geoff Howell, has been working on it, he's probably really close to landing one.

-Blake
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
You REALLY think they aren't trying to do it. That doesn't make any sense. Of course they are trying. The first guy to start sticking 10s is going to be the man.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
did you see the sequence in wbm of froggy? he came very close.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-08-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Steve Edwards isnt a big name pro, but he had a very good attempt in that cire sponsorship video on wakepics.com. And the attempt was w2w, not off the double up. He is sponsored, but he isnt all over the magazines like harf and parks. I think it would be cool if he did it.
Old    wickedwake            06-08-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
1080$....I am by no means rich, but c'mon. That is really not THAT much money. Trust me, there are a few of them that are persuing it, It is not about the $$$, I promise!
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-08-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't seen a pro land it yet especially since I do think money plays a role in it over and above the bounty. The rider who sticks it is sure to have more relative value to sponsors right? More $$$ for the rider in the long run.
Old    murrayair            06-08-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
I really don't think the money from the 1080 contest has anything to do with the big time pro's landing/not landing one. These guys wakeboard for the love of the sport not for the $$$. That's an added bonus. Besides, like Clay said, it's not all that much to a lot of these guys, esp. when they can get ten times that for some contests.
Old    wakeboardn4life            06-08-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
tell me you guys aren't f'ing serious parks has already landed one on camera the sequence is in wbm and he is the first offical 1080 member and why wouldn't pro's be trying isn't the contest for everyone

just my 2 cents

(Message edited by wakeboardn4life on June 08, 2005)
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-08-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
i read an article in wakeboard mag that harf said he isnt really trying a 1080 because parks already did it. He said he wants to stay original and make up his own stuff.
Old    sbvfive            06-08-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
I kinda think that landing a 10 is more important to everyone, pros included, than a quick grand. Danny will do one, Shane will do one, Phillip will do it before both of them, Josh sanders will do one. They are trying, although you defininetly have a point in saying that if pro riders tried for a week straight more than likely it would go down. Once somebody hits it, the floodgates are fixin to open.

I am calling it now. Phillip will land one, and within two weeks, Danny and Shane will as well. haha, I am pshycic.