Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
We just finished our home theater/ gameroom. I think it turned out pretty awsome. I want to thank Micah (CIE Evan's brother) from Avid Home Theater. He helped me out and his crew really does clean work.
He are the pics
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
More pics
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2011, 8:16 PM Reply   
A few more of the screen and the control four menu
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2011, 8:19 PM Reply   
One more of the Tron pinball. It has fiber optic lights on the ramps that change color during game play!
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-26-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
Nice. I like the movie style concession stand. You charge the movie theater prices?

While ground breaking, the old tron animations leave something to be desired compared to the new movie. My 14 yo son just laughed.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Mike - this room looks amazing. I can't wait to check it out. What did you do from an audio standpoint? I can't wait to watch the next UFC in that room.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
do you have any more info on the remote/controller ? I'm curious about cutting out my stack of them for my theater room - current have:

Receiver
Projector
Direct TV #1
Direct TV #2
Direct TV #3
TV #1
TV #2
.... its a damn mess.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Great job!
Along w/the remote/automation, let's hear some specs... Projector? Speakers? A/V equipment used... etc.
Old    Swass            09-27-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Awesome!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-27-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
Pinball machines FTW.....Awesome!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-27-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
Wow Mike, looks great. Congrats on getting it all together. Enjoy.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-27-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Looks awesome! I could go for some popcorn, peanut M&Ms and a movie right about now!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Pound-
We did a 120 inch stewart screen (Wanted nicest screen I pretty much could get so if we upgrade in the future I don't have to get new screen)
Sony 3D projector (VPLHW30AES)
Noble Fidelity ceiling speakers
Polk Audio 12" sub
Receiver sony (STRDA3600ES)
Control 4 (HC-300)
Right now for Blu Ray just using a PS3 but might switch that up in the future.

We got the movie marquees and the concession stand from the cinema shop. Lance from there is awsome.

Nick,
The control 4 is great. Everything is controlled off of it. All of the theater equipment as well the lighting in the room. Eventually I will probably due some more home automation in the future. It can get expensive depending on how much you want controlled by the system. The nice thing is you can add it on later.

We have watched a couple of movies in the past couple days. And I must say the picture quality and 3D are pretty amazing. The only negative I have with everything right now is my projector does not fit the whole screen. The screen is 120 and my picture is about 100. But to get a projector and lense to do what I want it to do, it would be big $$$$ and I still have some other empty rooms in the house. Maybe after I win big in vegas this weekend.

Last thing I went cheaper on the sound but I sure think the system sounds great.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Nauti,
My wife went crazy with the candy she found some place you can buy candy in bulk and ordered like 100 boxes of candy so we got enough to last for a while. And the pop corn machine surprising is very easy to clean.

In case you didn't know I am pretty nerdy and one of my favorite things in the pics above. Is on the tron pinball. If you look close there is a little arcade inside the machine. Well I bought a mod that you put into the cabinet that actually plays the old tron game on a 2 inch lcd while you are playing the pinball. It is pretty cool.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
How do the PS3 games look? that would be sweet.
Old    bigdtx            09-27-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
That cat is shooting laser beams from it's frikkin' eyes!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
How do the PS3 games look? that would be sweet.
I have a 1080p (but not 3d) protector
Here was my jerry-rig setup at my appt. while in college - it has been vastly improved since I've moved out of that dump.... PS3 is great on it... except shooters (COD / Battle Field) because the screen is soooo big you miss people running around on the opposite side you're looking at.

46" - 120" - 50"
... and now that I am home the setup is:
46" - 120" 55" (got rid of the 50" plasma for a 55" LED)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
before I added 55" to my current basement setup --- again its still a scrum (process of moving)
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Nick did you ever decide on seating? I know you were working on that for a while. We went with modular furniture and the big sack since it is not just a theater. My dad is thinking of building a theater and if he does it will be legit. With full on movie chairs and a 1930s feel. Different then my style but I am sure it will be cool.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Current seating:
3 couches that make a "U" type shape, with walkways between them all
1 - straight on with the screen ~16 ft away
2 - perpendicular to the screen on either side of the room

Then a laz-e-boy chair and a 45* angle to the screen, and behind the 1 central couch there we have a bar and about 5 stools that can all swivle to see the screen.

It isn't perfect but with what I had it works well.... I'm in the process of buying a new place.... make/break on homes I am looking at is the basement and/or theater room.... ideally when I have a more set in stone setup, I would have a sectional down around 10-15 ft. from the screen and then another couch elevated on a platform behind it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Mike the place looks great.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
Any shots of your media tower/center.... where all your goodies are stashed?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-28-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
Nick I will get you a shot of the rack tonight. It is directly on the other side of the screen in our work out room closet. It is so nice not having to have line of sight. The PS3 controls work fine through the wall. Everything looks really clean which was really important to my wife. She would have shut me down if that was not the case. You will probably learn about that one day.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Everything looks really clean which was really important to my wife. She would have shut me down if that was not the case. You will probably learn about that one day.
Oh I'm there already....
I just bought some parts/pieces to make a new media tower at Ikea.... I got two sets of kitchen cabinets (home media section sized wouldn't work) and then frosted glass doors.... hopefully the remotes will work through them. Right now it is a bit ugly so hopefully this will let all my components work with the doors shut.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-28-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Nick here are some pics. The sub is wireless and is behind the mame arcade game. It fits pretty good back there and sounds great. The other pics are the work out room closet on the other side of the screen. Doors close and every thing is hidden.

On to my nerdy side. I installed a shaker motor in the Tron pinball tonight, which makes the game shake when you hit certain targets in the game. It is really awsome!
Attached Images

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-29-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
My build-out started w/an upstairs game room with a balcony overlooking the downstairs entry. I closed that in and the far wall is now my screenwall. added about 90 sqft or so. Because I knew my kids would want to spend a lot of time playing xbox, watching cartoons etc, i didn't want then burning up lamp life on the projector so i mounted a 50"plasma, and got a motorized screen that drops down from behind a curtain and in front of the tv so you can watch either. fully automated w/a harmony 980pro. I mounted a 1U server rack in the wall on the side, with access from an unfinished attic room to get behind the equipment for connections.
sorry, the pics are crappy. it's hard to get good pics in a dark room. and these are old. I finished the main build out about 3 yrs ago. Recently, i built my own sub that sounds AMAZING. upgraded my crappy front left/right speakers, upgraded reciever, and got 1080p projector. My next upgrades are: better center channel and rear speakers, blu-ray, and new remote (I hate the ergonomics of the Harmony). W/the new projector, I've got the screen set to stop about a foot higher than you see in the 2nd to last pic for 16:9. My ol'skool projector that i built it out with was letterbox... (real old skool).
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
Snyder,
Great work! I love seeing what other people do with their rooms. When we orginally bought the house I was thinking of doing a motorized screen with the Plasma behind it. But since I don't have kids the only person that is going to be burning up the bulb in the projector is me. So I figured if I want to play madden on 100 inches I am gonna do it and I just have buy some replacement bulbs.
Really nice set up!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am gonna do it and I just have buy some replacement bulbs.
$200 bulb for 4000 hrs of fun is a great value.

I only have the other tvs for sports purposes.
Usually its:
Game Mix on the 120" screen
Packers (if on) on the 55" LED
NFL Redzone on the 40" lcd

The home run with multiple displays going at once is that my fiance' is okay with me playing video games as long as she is content.... so I'll play on the 55" or something and throw a movie on for her on the 120" and she loves Wii games on the big screen ..... or she can watch some chick flic on the big screen while I would have football on another. Win Win
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Not to divert the thread, but I'm going to post up all my gear - just wondering what others are running:

Projector: Optoma HD20 -- 1080p
Screen: 120" fixed frame
TV 1- Insignia 55" LED -- 1080p (uses its own speakers for audio)
TV 2- Samsung 40" LCD 1080p (uses its own speakers for audio)
Cable/Sat - DirectTV hd boxes ( each box and display on any/all TVs at any time
Games/Bluray - PS3 and Wii (can display on any/all of the displays)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V571BL (7.1 channel --- Display for screen gets the audio from receiver)
Front Speakers - Sony SSF-5000
Center - Polk Audio CS10
Rear (all) - Sony SS-B3000
Sub - Polk Audio PSW10 10
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Since we are off subject a little bit. I just got the PS3 anybody recommend any good games to get? Looking for stuff that I can play for maybe 30 minutes at a time and the controls arn't impossible to learn. I don't have time like I used to, to crack out for hours on end.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
MUST HAVE:
Uncharted 2 - AWESOME GAME, super fun and a great story/adventure
Pacman Championship Edition 2 - download --- SUPER FUN twist on pacman
Castle Crashers - Really really fun download - side scrolling button masher
Little Big Planet 1 and/or 2 - Really fun and wife/kids/you will all love it

Sports
Madden or NCAA are good to just pick up and play
Gran Turismo 5 -- show the the HD and 3D, fun realistic racer

Shooters: BattleField 3 is coming

Honestly I love that companies are going back to "old style" games on the PSN - these downloads are SOOOO effin' fun and only $5-$15 a piece.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-29-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
Must have-
FOR PS3 OR XBOX

RED DEAD REDEMPTION-MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!!!!

CAUTION THIS GAME IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-30-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
I am getting madden and be out of scene for a while. How is the online play?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
I am getting madden and be out of scene for a while. How is the online play?
They've cracked down and you need a code to play online - so buying used games you'll get screwed because odds are the first buyer used the code.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
this is from a home we built thougt i would share (a little over the top)
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
oops
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
here we go
Attached Images

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-04-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
Dam I was in vegas this weekend and that looks like that theater came straight out of one of those hotels. Not my style but still very impressive. I guess I just have a little bit more of a modern taste.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-04-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Mike- I enjoyed the 007 Quantum of Solace for PS3. It's not a REALLY long game but is a fun shooter. It's not Golden Eye on 64, but it is fun running around in a tux shooting stuff!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
King Tut's home theater!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-09-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Well I bought madden 12 for myself and midnight run LA for my wife. Both games play great on the projector. My wife was sick so she cracked out on the midnight run for about 3 hours. The game was only 19 bucks so I think we will get r money out of it. If anyone would like to crush me in some madden online let me know. Fun but I am not very good.

Watched the ufc fight on the projector and I will say I am gonna have a hard time watching the fights at the lake on a 50 inch plasma.

So far the projector has been a great purchase. If u got the cash and the room it is really great. Also vudu is my best friend for watching movies.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-09-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
Here is my little theater room. Working on kind of an industrial theme. Kind of a Stargate base maybe.
106" screen, Epson projector, Sony Blu-Ray, Onkyo tuner, KEF and Onkyo speakers.
6 leather electric recliners, with a 10" riser for the second row.
Still working on idea's for my equipment rack.

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Did a little update to the setup for the NFL season....
120" 1080p screen
65" 1080p dlp
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Jordan,
I like the look of your room. Good color scheme looks like a nice set up with the chairs.

Nick,
You should post some pics of how your couches are set up. I am interested how everyone does their seating.