Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-30-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
We're planning on being there June 19 for a few days and would really like find some good surfing.

It looks that there is some, and i could follow what web trail but just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience. Anyone been to Mike Doyle's school, or Monuments? Somewhere else better?

I've only been surfing once in Cancun when a hurricane was passing through. Pretty good swells, it seemed pretty easy. I'd like to find something good sized surf, suggestions?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-30-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
I'm actually researching this myself. I called an expert at Wave Tribe and he advised Old Man--Zippers near the Cabo Surf Hotel. I was told that monuments can be sketchy and that there are a lot of under water hazards.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-30-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
cool thanks man. keep me in the loop if you see a good deal. I found this place: http://www.costa-azul.com.mx/point-breaks.html . They've got some good info. The excursion look cool.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
I just booked a trip yesterday for June 20-23rd. I'm there for memorial day too.

I do abosolutely nothing but lay by a pool and relax when I'm down there now. But have been surfing 3-4 years ago...I'm a beginner and the waves/sewells are pretty big, and the undertow/water hazzards were pretty bad. I wont' do it again, lol. Not sure of the exact spot but it's abt halfway down the main highway from teh airport down to the marina ( in cabo san lucas)
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-01-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
That sounds like right where we are going. There is only one good beach for beginners and it is several miles (25 or so) from San Lucas. I've surfed a few point breaks in Costa Rica (I'm only proficient at best) and my wife is pretty solid. I see it as an opportunity to step up my game a little.

I'm as worried about not getting any decent surf as I am a monster swell this time of year. Does anyone know how the waves are by June??
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-01-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Cool Adam, thanks thats what I'm looking for. Y'all at Riu Palace too?

From what i've read June is good for south-east side, right breaks. Which should put us right in good surf. I'm with you Justin, i wouldnt mind stepping up my game and ride some big boys. How much harder is it? the hard part is the frickn paddle [hungover].
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
Ben, nope....I'm stayin down at Casa Dorada ( medondo beach area) I dont' like all inclusive places.

and prefer to stay down closer to the marina as opposed to further north up the coast ( RIU).

We'll be at the ME Cabo pool during the day.

I go down to cabo 3-4 times a year....mainly in the summer ( for the last 4-5 years now). Liek I mentioned...stricly relaxing now....sleep, some gym time, and pool party sprinkled in withe some good meals...then repeat.lol.

someone on here turned me on to these vouchers...i use them all the time for the food/drink.

http://www.loscabosguide.com/discounts/
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
Adam I'm gonna be there with Ben the same dates. Let's meet up at the pool for drinks one day. I spent an afternoon at ME pool last year. Nice set up but the pool water was funky.

I have no plans to surf while there but may try to golf.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
This is Kevin by the way
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
Sounds good. We're goin down there with todd/aud.

I use a couple apps when I'm down there. Download them. whatsapp for text and viber for calls.

I'll have a bed reserved by the pool at the ME on sat for sure.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Cool. I have whatsapp. I will get viber
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
Big surf doesn't really scare me, it is the rocks and urchins that get exposed in big surf that makes me a little nervous. About a decade ago, I was down there to party and went to what I now know is Monuments, It was double overhead and it exposed nasty hazards every swell. I started drinking at 7am that day and skipped the surfing.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Let me rephrase that--Big surf is scary, but compared to nasty stuff underwater, it is the least of my worries.