Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gettin_it)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-22-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
2001 Supra Launch SSV

I want the best value for an EXTREME amount of bass. I am open to anybody's suggestions. Right now looking between a Wet Sounds 12 XXX or a JL Audio 13w7. Would 2 12w6's sound better?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2013, 12:19 PM Reply   
Gettin_it,
Surface area will be the main (but not necessarily the only) determining factor WHEN all other considerations are at optimum. And that's the rub. If you split up the woofer locations or have less than ideal enclosures for a given sub, then you may be going backwards as you increase overall surface area.
Always start with the best singular location/exposure/orientation first and the max enclosure displacement second. That will dictate the best loading method (sealed, ported,etc.) and the best woofer for this particualr application.
Something else worth noting...All woofers of a similar size and construction will have roughly the same amount of total bass energy. However, the design focus in each case will determine where and how you get that energy. The exact same goes for the enclosure design.
While I've not answered your question with an overly-simple, non-substantive response, I have given you a sequential process that will serve your goals better. Start with the boat.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-22-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794411
Funny you asked because I asked the same question when redoing my system. I went with the JL 13w7, in a box built to spec and tuned at 32hz. It was a damn tight fit, but it did fit in my boat under the helm. I had 2 JL 12w6's in my truck on 500 watts a sub, and the 13w7 was louder than both the w6's IMO. I havent heard a xxx, so its hard for me to say the W7 will be "better", but I dont think you will b dissapointed at all, IF you build a proper box, and power it properly. I have a 1000/1 JL slash on mine FWIW
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-23-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
My Supra had 2 of the original XXX's in separate boxes. Both powered by Syn1's, and both were in there for 3 years without the first issue. Between moisture and playing the crap out of them, they never failed. I've done several installs with single XXX's that all sounded great.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
I was on an MB with two kicker solobarics and it sounded AMAZING. The alpine type x with the right box is nice and I forgot which rockford it was but it was nice too. You cant beat a W7 though