Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (aok)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-11-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
What kind of end of season pricing is everyone seeing on the 06 X-2? I've been told there will be an 8% price increase for the 07's. Can anyone confirm that?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yes the price increase is true.
Old     (zhendrix)      Join Date: May 2006       08-11-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Price increase is true. X-30's will be taking the biggest jump I believe.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-11-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Get your 06s while they are still around. Same boat, better looking tower, cheaper. ;-)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-11-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
I am hearing 06 closeouts for bout low to mid 50k
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
remember that options on an mc add up really fast I mean 1 pair of tower speakers are 1500, lights are 1000 a pair and so on. It is really easy to have a 75k msrp on one of these
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-11-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
I would NOT pay those price for options..
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
thats what they cost brotha-mc lights and speakers are in a category of there own, anyone who has em knows, any one that dosent has a moomba
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
yeah the overpriced category. I don't have MC lights and speakers, and I have a Sanger. I do have NVS though which is a much better way to spend $1500
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Ryan, I was waiting for someone to say something about how stupid Matt's statement was. Most of the best system are aftermarket ones.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
yup jl audio, custom designed for that secific billet tower can is surley worse than an aftermarket chrome paint can with a kenwood 6.5 coaxial stuffed in it- o and add the flame speaker covers for the extra touch of class
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
i totally hear ya ryan and insuranceman

i know looks aren't everything, but those billet JL's with the lights in the front do look pretty sweet on the MCs. and now you can get all 4 with lights.

but hey to their credit, at least they're pre-wiring their 2007 towers for speakers and lights.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
matt, quick lesson in how to go about life, sit back and observe for a while, take it all in, before you make stupid short sighted comments like yours. Yes they may look sweet, yes they may perform well, however look at what some of these folks are really running, most aren't using 6.5s w/ spray painted cans! I don't know much but I think you may find me correct!
Old    bigrich            08-11-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Now maybe I'm wrong but does any body really believe that they are actually getting the most sound potential out of any speaker mounted in a tiny speaker can. No matter what there is not enough of a sound chamber (maybe wrong wording) to get full potential.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
Wait! 8% increase for an X-2 from 2006-2007?!? Why?!? I understand an increase, but 8%? Is it just me or is MC getting more and more proud of their boats?

Ok, now I can understand an increase from 2005 to 2006 due to it was totally re-designed. It went up from 47,935 in 2005 to 56,290 in 2006 for the new redesigned X-2. A little much? That's for each person to decide. But now they are going to do another sizeable increase of 8%? For a boat that is not redesigned?

Let's look at Supra. The new 22SSV is out. It's totally redesigned and of course it comes with a price increase as expected. The price in 2006 was 47,500 and it's going to 51,500 in 2007. An 8% increase for a fully redesigned boat, compared to MC who increased their X-2 by 17.5% and then 8% for the same boat.

Now before everyone starts harping on me that you can't find a boat for those prices, those are the MSRP's that are advertised and usually a starting place. Many will say that the boats cost more than that because the dealers option them up. True. But I will bet that the options on the Supra are going to be less than the options on the MC. I'm not bashing MC, it's just an observation in the world of $50K plus, wakeboats.

Supra made some significant upgrades in the new 22SSV with an increase that seems low compared to other manufacturers. Gotta give it to SC on that one.

(Message edited by Kraig on August 11, 2006)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
Oh don't get me wrong I think the MC tower speakers are sweet for what they are, and I am a huge JL Audio fan, but Matt was talking like everything other than MC and their tower speakers are trash.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Dont get me wrong-I believe you dont always get what you pay for -Take Harley's for example-not worth it. MC is expensive but it is of the utmost quality and No I think some guys on here are running some awsome stuff that isnt MC in fact as we spaek i am considering a Supra 24SSV
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
from what i've heard all boats are going up at least 4 or 5% for 2007. Obivously + or - depending on brand or model. kraig, you can't really compare pricing between the old (2005 X-2), the new 2006 X-1 and the new 2006 X-2. The new X-2 is a totally different boat, hull and all--not really a redesign. don't ask me why they called it an x-2. i see your point though, but the transition to the new 22ssv and the new x-2 is slightly apples and oranges imo. not slammin my friend, just don't think it's a totally fair comparison.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Matt, I own a Moomba and the system in it will blow away any stock system in a MC! I don't run Kenwoods, I run Focals and anyone who knows speakers will tell ya that they are amongst the best out there. And I don't run cans, I run a fiberglass box with the proper sound material in it. So, I know how overpriced the MC cans are, how much they don't perform for the money, have a system that sounds way better and I own a Moomba!!!! Matt, I'm sorry man, you deserve a good roasting for comments like that. Aftermarket equipment in speakers beat the hell out of manufacturers speakers. They spend their time and money on building a boat, not a system! And yes! They are OVERPRICED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Bruce, I love a good debate. I think you can compare these two. These are comparable boats in the MC and Supra lines. They are of similar size as well. So let me lay it out more simplified:

MC X-2
2005 $47,935
Redesign...
2006 $56,290 17.5% increase
No Redesign
2007 supposid 8% increase (No redesign)

Supra
2006 $47,500
Redesign
2007 $51,500 8% increase for a redesigned boat. compared to MC's 17.5% increase for a redesign and then an additional 8% in a non-redesign year.

Pretty simple.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
Just an FYI, something you may not know Bruce, the 22SSV is a totally new hull as well! So yes, I can compare the new X-2 to the new 22SSV which is what I am doing in the above comparison.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
Just get both
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Matt, I was not trying to say your system is not good. I am sure it is. But both the boat builder and dealer really mark up their systems a lot. You can really save some $$ and get as good if not a better system by going aftermarket.

As with Kraig I've got focal's along with two jl amps and a jl 13" Sub.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
okay, you win. uncle.

maybe it costs more to make pickles.
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
If you don't want to buy a MC.......DON'T!

If you can't afford to buy a MC.....DON'T!

If you think they are overpriced don't complain, do something about it. You can choose to not buy one and if you are lucky then all the other consumers out there will not buy one and the price will come down.

If a company has a product that is in demand the price will go up. With the demand high for an X2 the price will continue to go up until they have an equal supply of them and demand of customers to buy at which point the price will stabilize. Take an economics course and then I won't have to sift through posts like this.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-11-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
uh oh
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Oh and Kraig the post above means that the demand for an X2 is higher than a 22SSV. (Well that and MC probably isn't producing more X2s this year than they did last year thus increasing the price.)

Be glad that Skiers choice hasn't trimmed back production so that they can raise the price on the 22SSV otherwise you would be seeing an increase in its price to the tune of 8% or more per year.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Nick, you're right. More demand means higher prices. However, I think Rick Tinker and SC have their eye on the ball when building a company and customer loyalty. I think there is alot of demand for a 22SSV as well. Doesn't really matter why the MC's are more, what I do know is that Supras are a better boat for a better price!! This is the SC philosophy. I'm sure someone on here can chime in on production numbers.
Old    m_farrar            08-11-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Can't we all get along??
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
I think we are all getting along. However one thing I refuse to do is bash another brand boat. I think MC, Bu, Tige, both the Skier's
Choice (Supra & Moomba) along with all the other inboard boats are awesome. It is to each a personal liking that we each have to what we purchased.

The simple point is that Matt is trying to say that MC makes the only boat and their audio systems are the only one's worth a having.

I personally would have loved to have bought a 06 X2, but I could not justify the difference of approx. 20K between that and a Supra SSV.

Again, they are all designed to make a big wake, so let's all enjoy each other's boat and enjoy the ride we get behind them.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 11:40 PM Reply   
Hello everyone. My post seems a bit off topic at this point, but getting back to Aaron's question about X-2 pricing, how much are people paying for '06 X-2's nowadays? How about earlier in the season?

I feel that I got a pretty good deal on my 2006 X-2 which was purchased 7/29 in SoCal for $56,795. I weaseled him down from $62,155 and the sticker price was allegedly $76,686. For the sake of comparison, mine has the following options:

-350 hp Indmar engine w/ cruise control
-Tandem trailer w/ spare tire pkg
-Spinning board racks
-JL sub & amp w/ 2 tower speakers
-Depth finder
-air/water temp guage
-bimini
-custom cover
-4 Tower lights
-Transom stereo remote
-Heater
-Fiberglass swim platform
-Hot/Cold shower

Hopefully this is informative. I'd love to hear what others have paid.

Oh, and so far it has been worth every penny, although I agree that there are many great options for thousands of dollars less, Tige being my favorite example. For this purchase, though, it was between MC and Malibu and I preferred the MC...Then a week later I saw the Tige RZ2, which gave me a tinge of buyer's remorse since I had a Tige previously and loved it, but wanted a more serious W/B boat than I felt they offered. That soon subsided and I'm very happy with my X-2, but I'd still love to know the MSRP on the RZ2 if anyone has that info.

Peace
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-12-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
From what I can understand, based on what people working in the industry have told me - the increase in boat prices for 07 across the different manufactures is due (in part) to an increase in the cost of oil.

Again, from what has been explained to me, there is a petrochemical based product used in the boat manufacturing process, (used for the laying of glass perhaps?) and because the cost of oil has risen sharply in the past 12 months, so has the cost of this product.

It had a significant impact in the cost to produce the boats and therefore all manufactures needed to raise their prices. Maybe the reason we see higher lifts in some brands than others is because of their boat building process - (amount of glass/product used, hand laid glass etc etc).

I am by no means an authority on building boats – either the process or products used; however, I could see this being an explanation as to why all manufactures are raising the prices for 07.

What do you guys think?
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-12-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
I heard the oil thing to-It is just costing much more to do business these days
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-12-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
"thats what they cost brotha-mc lights and speakers are in a category of there own, anyone who has em knows, any one that dosent has a moomba"

"yup jl audio, custom designed for that secific billet tower can is surley worse than an aftermarket chrome paint can with a kenwood 6.5 coaxial stuffed in it- o and add the flame speaker covers for the extra touch of class"

HA! Are you kidding???

If not, I've got a bridge in Arizona to sell you.

(Message edited by Joe 788 on August 12, 2006)
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-12-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Paul, you're right on the money. But it's not just one petrochemical product though. Most of a boat stems from oil. Resins, Some fiberglass (not all-some is new or recycled glass and sand), vinyl, the carpet, every plastic couling, cup holder and fitting, throttle knob, insturment pannel, wire sheathing, guagues etc, injected foam (except you Sanger guys) and some windshields.

Commodity pricing for all metals has been rising a lot since 2003 [any experts know why? I'm guessing a tarriff change]. Steel and iron prices are up. Aluminum is up. Copper - for all your wiring is up.

It's not just watersports boats going up just because the sports are becoming more popular (small part of it). The category does not seem any further ahead in price increases of say, off-shore fishing boats. All of this while Brunswick and Genmar released dismal Q2 results.
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-12-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Correction - Steel has plateaud and shouldn't be higher in 07 vs 06. This auto industry article translates right into the boat ind.

"Carmakers see more headaches in commodity prices

By Nick Zieminski | January 9, 2006

DETROIT (Reuters) - Faced with soaring prices for basic commodities like steel, aluminum and copper, auto makers are finding it hard to pass those costs on to customers who have come to expect deals when buying a new vehicle.

Instead, the companies are stretching for ways to balance out the costs with other savings, executives said on Monday at the North American International Auto Show here.

"I don't recall a perfect storm like this," said Peter Rosenfeld, executive vice president of procurement and supply at Chrysler Corp. <dcx.n> <dcxgn.de>. "We've never seen the kind of increase in raw materials that we've witnessed in the past year or so."

Rosenfeld said steel prices have plateaued and probably would not revisit last year's highs. But oil prices could resume their climb because of political instability in the Middle East -- pushing up not just fuel prices but oil related materials like plastics that are heavily used.

Aluminum prices jumped by a quarter last year to their highest level in more than a decade. Copper prices doubled in 2005, ending at a record high."
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-12-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
This post has about 2 responses that have anything to do with the pricing on an X2.

I was looking at one back in June @ the summer boat show that was pretty well loaded. The MSRP was about $76K and they wanted to sell it to me for $58,500 + TT&L.

I bought an 06 Supra 21V for $50K out the door. That was with my 06 Sea Ray 185 Sport as a trade in.

You should be able to get an X2 for about $55,000.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
well 55k depending on the options, which started this whole debate in the first place. I would think for this time of year, fairly basic on the options $55k seems low to fair and 58k fully loaded is about right. No one should be paying over 60k for one unless you get a hot tub installed in it. By the end of the season in oct or nov i would think take 3-4k off that....... however since the demand for this model has been so strong and there are minimal changes to 07, the prices may not drop as dealers may not mind carrying this model over in their inventory to next year.

As far as questions on the Tige RZ2.... I would guess it will be about the same price as the X2 but my understanding is it is more targeted to compete against the X-Star as a lower cost alternative.

And for commodity prices.... no one knows exactly where they are going (and if you do please tell me so I can put on the right position and make money.) There are a number of reasons why the general commodities complex is up, but some major ones are geopolitical tensions, demand increases in china and india and increased speculator interest in commodities as an alternative to equities (stocks).
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
I love the increases.....KEEP JUMPING!!!! I would like to personally ask the inboard industry as a whole to give a across the board 10% hike.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
well at least it allows used boats to keep their value more.....
Old     (aok)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-14-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Thanks to those of you that have addressed my questions... I appreciate it.

Regardless of the reasons behind 07 price increases... it seems to be the case. If you currenlty own a wake boat and you are not considering buying a 07, why would you care about the price increase? It only helps hold the value of 06 and prior boats (your boat) at higher levels. If the 07 prices are not justified and the market does not support them... the boats won't sell. I think it's as simple as that - but WTF do I know.

Marcus - You're numbers are right on the mark for what I'm seeing locally. 06 X-2's that 'sticker' around $71k - $76k are going in the mid to high $50's. $55k is the best deal I've found....... but I have not walked into a dealer with cash in hand to try and bring that number down any. If anyone is seeing better deals I would love to hear about them.

(Message edited by a-ok on August 14, 2006)