Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
so i thought i had just a sprain or something stupid happen to my knee, i went to Orthopedis and they concluded i have a Mesicus Tear.

i did some research and know that i will be able to walk within 48hrs, but said no physical activities up to 6 weeks....

wondering if any of you have had this done, how long were you out, how'd it feel, is your knee the same as it was before the injury etc.

thanks
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
I tore my meniscus (cartilage) but I also tore my ACL and MCL at the same time so its hard to tell. My other knee has some pain every once in a while and I'm thinking it is from a meniscus tear. If you take it easy and let the cartilage heal, you should have no problems riding the same as you did before on it.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-03-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
The Meniscus will not heal itself or regrow. Sometimes orthoscopic surgery is required to clean up some of the tear- (Cadaver is used if you wanna go through replacement surgery)
Regardless your knee will be a little "looser"
Since the meniscus is a sorta "shock absorber" your knee will swell more often as well

The best thing you can do from here on is build leg strength to compensate for the weaker knee
Try stuff like biking or roller blading.....
Oh ya, don't push it for now......
Good luck
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
yeah, my knee has been swollen for a month now, because they are waiting for surgery. It not that the knee hurts its just Irratating as hell not being able to use it! as you guys probably know.

i have another problem my insurance only pays 70% of the surgery... any idea of the cost?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-03-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Same thing, was walking within 3 days without crutches. Back working out in 4 weeks (I heal fast)and back to normal activities in 8. Knees feels better than the other one. Do whatever he tells you to and don't do what he says not to do. Elevate and ice as much as possible. They won't let you back to physical activity until the swelling is gone.
Old     (ctrider)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-03-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have torn my Lateral and Medial Meniscus in both knees several times. As well as the ACL in the left knee. Each time was a different recovery for me. It all depends on what else the doctor does while he is in there. I On the first one I was back to normal by 4 weeks but the last few took longer 6 to 8 weeks before I did not have pain and has full motion, on the last few the doctor removed lots of scar tissue. This year is the best my knees have felt in many years now it is all mental to try and get back to where I was and to try the tricks again that started all this. Good luck, if all they are doing is trimming the meniscus you will be back in no time.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
yeah my knee had actually been hurting me for some time before i actually really tore it, i might have done a slight tear before, we'll see on the MRI this thursday is follow up. but was just a basic grab hs fs 180, was huge (lyman style) and i was alittle off axis because i went alot bigger than normal and came down on the front knee and stiff legged, saw my knee turn and twist inward, then my knee was done for.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
phl- it all depends on how the tear is. i'm assuming you had a partial tear not full out tron in half. i had a decent sized tear in my meniscus that ran parralel to it (don't know if it makes sense) and a smaller tear in my acl. scoped out the acl tear but i had sutras (like stiches) put in my meniscus to connect the tear back to the miniscous. i had my leg in an imobilizer for about 5 or 6 weeks and it took three months until i was released. took a good 1/2 yr to a year to get back to 100%. just do ALL of your physical theray and you'll be ok. i came back riding way better than before my injury.
Old    chris_hargis            10-03-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
I am starting week 2 of my post arthoscopic surgery to repair my torn meniscus. I was walking the next day off crutches (I hate those things). Since I had a torn MCL to go along with my meniscus, I am still feeling it. I walk fine now, but have not started anything other than therapy yet.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-10-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
Hey Derrick thanks for your post, i just went to follow up MRI appt. and apparently i did the same thing, i also tore the ACL.

he said i'll be in crutches for a month and 6 months for sports.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2005, 11:43 PM Reply   
Phil-same thing happened to me. Doc originally thought I just tore my meniscus. After the MRI I found out I also tore my ACL with about 70% of my meniscus gone. The ACL unfortunately takes a lot longer to recover from. I am a little over three weeks post surgery and I am walking pretty good. I actually ditched the crutches after about 2 weeks. There are a lot of recent posts on this topic if you do a search. You'll find that its a very common injury. Good Luck.
Old    likeglass            10-13-2005, 12:00 AM Reply   
3 Years ago on my very first time trying to get up out of the water (of all things).
Torn Meniscus, on my butt for three days, crutches for a week and to this day, it's still not the same.
Old     (lsurulzes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-18-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
i tore mine last year during spring training. Had some articular cartilage damage and a nice size tear in the meniscus. I was off crutches and limping within 24 hours. It really wasnt that bad. Just dont try to push it too much and it should heal fine. I was out of everything for about 4 or 5 weeks.