Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 5:24 PM Reply   
Ok guys, had my boat 3 hours (not even hit the lake yet) and I have a tiny rip in the side of my surf locker top. It is on the edge not the top and not a huge deal other than it is there. I have searched and thinking patch sounds pretty easy.

1. What patch.......?
2. Is it as easy as I think...?
3. Would Super Glue work? I can put the rip together just by pushing it pretty easy....so first thought was super glue?

2.1 hours on her and this...only good thing is it is now not a "new" boat..lol Sorta like getting a scratch right out of the gate so you don't have to worry about using it.

Thanks for any advice...
Old     (justinlkgb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-18-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
Ouch! I personally wouldn't use super glue. That stuff turns plastic different colors, can't be good for vinyl.
I've used that tear mender but didn't really like it. I would call a pro in seeing its on the side and most likely would get worse as you open/close.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-18-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
$50 to a vinyl repair guy should do it. They go to car dealers every week just ask someone where you bought your car or if you have a friend in the industry.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
Haven't even had a chance to take pictures and post yet and I have this....what a pain! lol
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-18-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat. Have a 1/2" tear on the engine cover that I would like to deal with soon before it gets worse.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-18-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
I used a kit like this and it worked great. http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Leather.../dp/B000PSMVTA
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-18-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
Don't try it yourself, Ask your dealer for a recommendation. I've had some serious rips fixed in vinyl and could barely tell. Repair guys aren't that expensive.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
I know I shouldn't do it myself...but I am gonna...lol I figure if it gets worse then I can get a pro...but it is so small and looks like new when I push it back together. I think something to hold it together like this liquid leather stuff would work great.

Rusty how easy was it?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-18-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
You spent 50k+ and you cant spend 100 to fix a rip. I think you'll be more pissed if you try and fix it yourself.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Jason.... point taken....ouch!

Funny you put me in my place.... I say that about gas to people...lol you can spend 50k+ but worry about gas when surfing....so....point well taken!
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-18-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
Scott, wasn't trying to be a di** but on a brand new boat I know most people wouldn't be happy with a homemade fix, I've seen bad patch jobs before. I'd actually rather leave it ripped, than risk screwing it up more by trying to fix it myself.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-18-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
I ordered the $7 kit that was linked above. For $7 why not give it a shot? I have done the car dashboard repair before and I was actually pretty happy with it. But then again there aren't people walking on my dashboard all day.......
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-18-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
Pay The Pro
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-18-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
The problem is that if you try to "fix it" yourself most vinyl kits will fuse the vinyl. If it doesn't look right it will be a lot harder for the pro to fix your "fix" and end up costing more in labor vs fixing it right the first time. Just my opinion. Boat dealers have go to guys that do this stuff to repair their new boats after boat shows ect..
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-18-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Take it from someone who used super glue on a similar rip... DON'T use it! When it dries the clear look will turn brown. Like above pay the pro and enjoy the boat.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2012, 12:26 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me when I first bought mine. A kid slammed the rail of his wakeboard on my new sun pad. Pay the pro and get over it. This happened 7 years ago and I still can't tell exactly where the tear was.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-19-2012, 4:35 AM Reply   
Love the $7 quick idea to fix, but the pay the pro idea may just be better. Sorta sucks when you know doing it the right way is the "right" way but damnit...2 hours and not even 1 second of it on the lake. Oh well....calls will be made to find out cost today.. Thanks guys for making me do it right.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
Pay a pro $100 and have it fixed right. You will almost never know it was there. Mark my words that if you try it yourself you are still going to see the repair and it will eat at you all the time......
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Take it back to the dealer and see if they can get it warrantied for you. If not they can get it repaired for a small price.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-19-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
I was planning on trying it out on the older boat first to see what is comes out like
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Pay to have it fixed. No QUESTION. I had a single rip on my 08 Moomba for 2 years that drove me crazy but I didn't want to take the whole seat out to get it recovered. A vinyl repair guy came and fixed it for $100, on site and it looks like new, no one could tell. the worst part is I spent 2 years with the rip and fixed it for the guy i sold the boat too. Get it fixed, trust me. Its worth it.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-19-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Scott, you can call Ron Parker in Cicero, 765-536-2881 (Parker's Upholstry). You can just take that cushion there, and email him a picture before. For a new boat, I personally want it right, whether its $10 or $100. I think Ron would do it for very cheap. He has taken care of all my boats, and will make it look unreal. You should see the pictures of a 2004 mastercraft x10 that he put 2011 mastercraft interior in it, unreal! Tell him I sent you, Rob Riewoldt.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
I've used super glue several times with great success. If you see it turn colors, you're using way too much! Always use a toothpick and apply just enough to the edges of the tear. Hold together for a few minutes and you're done. You should not hardly see any super glue when done. If you glob it on, you did it wrong. Some pros do it this way and then paint over it. Easy fix.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I should add that super gluing won't make the tear disappear. It'll just stop it from tearing further. Great for those inconspicuous areas. Let the pros do the obvious areas.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-20-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Rob - good talking to you the other day. I think I will just call him. I am going to clean the boat this weekend then post pictures. I really love the way she turned out. Blacked out the rims and it really set it off.

Anyway, I really really really want to try the super glue idea Tune.....bad....but thinking after hearing everyone might just be worth it to do it right. Sucks I have to drag it an hour to fix since the cushion isn't a cushion it is the surf locker top.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-20-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
I've used super glue to fix a tiny tear before worked great and didn't change any colors.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-21-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
To answer your question it was very easy. Its up to you on how much time you take mixing the color. After that you use the small iron provided and the kit comes with different texture pieces to match the grain in the vinyl. I hear what you guys are saying but I'm more of a do it my self type of guy. How did that pro start out? I find that most of the time I take more time because its mine. I have done friends boats since with great success.
Catch a man a fish or teach him to fish? Up to you.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-21-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Just got my kit in today, I'll try it out and post some before/after pics.