Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-06-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ok, folks...I'd appreciate some constructive criticism on this ONE TRICK description. It's the format I intend to use in developing the Trick List for the folks at the INT League. I have been afforded the opportunity to present to the State Coordinators at the INT Nationals. The document that I am preparing will provide a foundation for training judges, such that judges in California will award the same basic scores as a judge in say Georgia.

I can't format this post exactly like the document - the principal difference in the document is that the photo is a thumbnail and the description is on the right of the thumbnail.

Again, this is just ONE trick, the document will have as many as I can identify by mid - October. :-) Also, PLEASE don't bust my chops on the style judging - that will be in a separate area.

Thanks all.
Old    surfdad            09-06-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
This picture will be a thumbnail.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-06-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
This will be the text describing the trick above, with point value assignment.

Lip Slide

(Thumbnail here)

The lip slide demonstrates rotational control of the board. The trick is similar to a lip slide on a wakeboard. The rider rides up to the top of the wake, commonly referred to as the lip and throws the tail of the board across the lip. The board is perpendicular to the wake at this point. Difficulty increases the further back on the wake the trick is initiated and the longer the rider keeps the board in this position. Properly executed, the board should be at the top of the wake and not lower on the face. Style points can be added for boning the rear leg, as in the photo above, grabbing the rail of the board, pointing the nose of the board down towards the bottom of the wake and catching air to land the board up and on to the lip.

Old    surfdad            09-06-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Just a clarification. I made it sound like the INT League presentation was a done deal for adding wakesurfing, it isn't. The Folks at the INT League may decide the time isn't right to add Wakesurfing, or that my proposal is all wet. :-)
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Hi Jeff-

INT judges wakeskating with more of an expression format. There are two marks per pass- technical and style. the technical is 1000 points and the style is 500 points per pass. It would be nice to have a more objective judging system, but in wakeboarding, the riders are limited to five or six tricks per pass. Possibly some hybrid between the two systems would be the best. Just a thought.
Old    surfdad            09-20-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Hey Peter, thanks for the input. I was thinking about the structure that exists in the INT League and applied my experience in designing accounting systems for clients. I would never consider designing a system to account for, say some new product line, that was significantly different than the existing system. The reasons, of course are many, from the inherent error rate that would result from different recording procedures, the duplication of training expenses AND more than likely the result would be the system just wouldn't get used.

The INT League has an effective system, has tons of investment in that system and has a large core of qualified personnel trained in the use of the system. To develop a system that was anything but a a mirror image of their existing system to implement judging for wakesurfing wouldn't be prudent.

I can tell you the reason no one has done this for wakesurfing before is because it's a HUGE job! :-) It would be much easier to say it SHOULDN'T be done because of style considerations, or the ISA doesn't do it, or a myriad of othe "excuses" rather than to undertake the task of developing a wakesurfing scoring system that would fit seamlessly into the INT League structure. IMO, however, it would not be an effective system for these folks.

I'll have it done, although it will more than likely KILL me! :-)
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-20-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
If anyone can do it, you can Jeff! I hope that INT will provide a venue nationally for wakesurfing. It's an up and coming watersport, and it seems logical and reasonable to include it if the logistics can be worked out.
Old    surfdad            09-20-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Peter. :-) The INT League folks are pretty innovative and seem to have a genuine desire to represent as many water related sports as practical.