Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jconlin)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Looking at buying my first wakeboard boat in the near future and wondering what the feedback would be about a Moomba. I have never been out on one, but how would it compare to a Nautique or high end Mastercraft. Is the re-sale of Moomba any better then a Nautique? How is the wake? Seems all I can ever find is video's and pictures with them claiming, that they are a very good tow boat comp. to Nautique or Mastercraft.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
They make a good boat but no they are not in the same league as a high end Nautique or Mastercraft. they are also half the money of a high end Mastercraft or Nautique.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
THEY ARE A GREAT BOAT TO START WITH.then you can see what you do and don't like about them. resale is always better if you buy whatever used most of your depreciation is in first 3 years of ownership. after that its not as bad.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
I wouldn't shop for a new boat or even a Mastercraft or Nautique for my first ride, unless it was over 6 years old, well priced, and very good shape (in fact a 10 year old Nautique would be the only boat I would shop for, but there are many to choose from).

You might buy it and have a $400 a month yard decoration after the novelty of going out all the time wears off.

If you buy over 5 years old, you will not lose much money on the resale when the time comes. Buying new will cost you if you plan on turning it over quickly.
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Moomba's are great reasonably priced boats. I own my second one currently. Throws a great wakeboard wake and surf wake.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-20-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Great wake if loaded right, but no resale value.. You get what you pay for sometimes...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkey79 View Post
Great wake if loaded right, but no resale value.. You get what you pay for sometimes...
BRANDON please show me an example of a 1 or 2 year old boat being sold by a private owner in this economy that had great resale value.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-20-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I didnt have any problem selling my Moomba... i would buy another one!
Old     (jconlin)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, a good friend of mine is pointing me in the same direction. She has been riding a Nautique for over ten years and even through upgrades and new models, she swears by the 1999 super air? Hope that is the right one...anyways thanks a bunch for all the info so far, much appreciated.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-20-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
I own 2008 Moomba Outback. Great boat, doesn't have the bling like a Mastercraft or Correct Craft but the hull/engine/trans are of same or similar quality. To me, it all depends on your budget. If you can afford the new fancy Mastercraft than go for it! If your looking for a good value boat buy the Moomba. Either way, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these late model inboard boats. They are all pretty good these days. Moomba really stepped it up in the past few years as far as materials go, dual density foam, vinyl, thread, etc...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
To say a Moomba's resale is worse is flat out wrong. If you use percentages, which is the only way to accurately compare boats with different price points, I bet Moomba's are better than Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautique.

There is always thr be people who say that Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautique have better resale because their boat is worth more than a comparable Moomba, Sanger, centurion, etc... of the same year but the difference is theioat cost 15k more to begin with. Resale Fail. People spin the numbers in whatever way they want to make themselves feel better about their purchase.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Moomba or any other brand wake boat as long as a I got it for the right price. I am more concerned about getting a good deal then getting the perfect boat. Then again I have owned 3 different boats in the last 5 years and I sold all 3 for more than what I paid.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
The only thing I don't like about the outback and lsv is the freeboard, other than that they are great boats. If you're looking in that price point then look at the axis and MB. i think both those boats are better dollar for dollar than the moomba.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Resale value is all relative. The guys that bought Top of the line Nautiques and MC's in 2000-2003, have gotten incredible resale value on their boats. This is not true any more as new boat prices have literally doubled from these manufacturers. 10 years from now, I guarantee you that a 2008 SAN 210 will not cost 2x a 2003 SAN 210.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Brett is right, percentage wise, Moomba has one of the better resales in the industry.

Moomba's are a fantastic boat, you will not be dissapointed
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Moombas are a great value new and used. Their market is getting very competitive though with Axis, MB, and the other "Big 3" starting to make smaller boats in the <$50k range.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-20-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
We have an 08 moomba LSV, 240 hrs. it has been a fantastic boat. the wake is as good as anyone who rides with us. no concern on the freeboard, i think that was earlier model. have not thought about resale as we have no intention of selling. would definitely consider moomba again if i was looking for another boat.
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
I'm on my second Moomba Mobius LSV now and have been completely satisfied with both of them, for the dollors I just feel I could not get a better boat. Talk with some actual owners and I think you will find a majority are very satisfied. As for resale value-it really is based on percentage as allready stated. Moomba's have come a long ways in the last few years and most perceptions are based of the earlier models-and those are even sought after now for there pricing.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
Moomba is a great boat. The whole re-sale argument is flat out wrong and overplayed. Sure if you over pay for your boat, your resale is gonna suck. It is all relative as stated above. Fact of the matter is there are lots of people looking for less expensive boats these days and Moombas are probably one of the most searched boats. Their quality over the years have caught up with all the other brands, but they do not have all the flair and fancy features. Great boat, great price, and a great company behind it.
Good luck and I can guarantee you that your Moomba will be tons nicer than most wakeworlder's first boats.
Old     (Lawdog)      Join Date: May 2010       07-20-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Most people who bash Moomba have probably never even been in one or been pulled by one for that matter. I bought an 09 Moomba XLV. Looked at the Nautiques, Tige, Mastercraft, Supra and Moombas. I'm not a professional wakeboarder by any means but personally there wasn't a huge difference in wakes with the exception of the Tige which I didn't care for. I've had plenty of people on my boat who own one of the "big 3" and said they really liked my wake and were surprised that it was that good. By all means spend the extra money if you have it but I don't think you will have any complaints with a Moomba as your first wakeboard boat. What you should do is ask some of these "haters" why they don't like Moomba. I guarantee you won't get a $20,000 reason...
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
ok dont kill me on this one but is moomba supras low line?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
^^Is that a rhetorical question?
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
i was in a pretty new moomba lsv the other day. the interior lay out was nice and roomy, but some stupid designs for ballast filling and emptying and the wake shape was less than desirable. the over all look of the boat was appealing. you can buy a brand new one for 50,000 while a new nautique or mastercraft will run you more like 70-80k for a wake model. get yourself an 03 super air 210 and be happier than ever for decades to come.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
i just didnt know cuz the dealer in town sells both and i noticed in the moomba brochure there is a rider wearing a supra hat. i thought that would be strange if they were not somehow together. not trying to slam them at all.
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
apparently they come off the same production line. i don't quite understand it. i guess supra is lexus and moomba is toyota?
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-20-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
^^yep, just like Malibu & Axis
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
ok dont kill me on this one but is moomba supras low line?
I don't know if I would call it Supra's low line but I would consider it Skier's Choice's "Value Line".

There is no doubt that they don't use as many high end components and generally start with less standard features. That doesn't mean it isn't a good boat. For the price you get a lot of bang for your buck. Compare a Moomba Mobius LSV(a loaded one with the 340 motor, board racks, sub/amp tower speakers, PP, triple ballast, pull up cleats, etc) to a VLX, Super Air 210 or X15. They are all about the same length. The Moomba is probably a little narrower and doesn't have quite the roomy feel as the other 3. It doesn't have fancy built in swivel racks(you can add aftermarket ones), it doesn't have an LCD screen, below floor ballast and a lot of the components(ie stereo, board racks, bimini) are not a the level the big 3 use. That being said an average purchase price is probably 40-45k. The VLX probably goes for 65-75, the 210 around 70-80 and the X15 for 70-80.

Are those big three really worth 30k more for a comparable size and featured boat? That is what a potential buyer has to figure out. For some it is, for some it isn't. There isn't really a wrong choice.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-20-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I agree with almost everything posted in this thread. The exception being the wake... I LOVE the wake on my LSV. The shape is perfect and everyone that rides behind my boat comments on how great the wake is.
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
on the contrary, my friends lsv interior seems twice as large as my 05 210. and a another sante owner agrees. IMO, as long as your dealer/service tech does a good job and in appropriate amount of time given time of year and issue then in the long run that will have the largest effect on your happiness rather than what boat you pick between 21 foot v-drives. you can put the same stereo in all the boats, same zero off, have plumbed in ballast, a tower and board racks on any of these boats. the differences in these things is what you have to figure out as far as likes and dislikes. the wakes will be different, but for the most part the same end result will occur.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-20-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
My Moomba is the first v-drive and so far have been over joyed with the value cost of the boat vs the others. Price out a boat of the same size and the put the extra $20 - $30k away for your next boat. Most of the big three have to pay for the crazy marketing they put out. My second v - drive might be from the big three but it will be a Axis. Bling only goes so far and it will be about 4 years till I get to ride more than 1 set a night, with the boys I get stuck with driving.
Old     (jmvotto)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-20-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
Joe, go test drive a few boats. you will be presently suprised by the Skiers choice line up, I went looking for a supra, tige and nautique and really love my moomba which in 07 i never heard of. Its like buying a chevy tahoe gets its all done and you can load it up or do you want the escalade. moomba has classic styling and has the same engine as most. we slalom, surf and board behind our obv 07, freeboard is low on this cuz we still do ski... . cruise some of the forums as well. good luck
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-20-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
We've had our 08 mobius lsv for a year now and it has been very reliable, we've put 165 trouble free hours on so far. It's not nearly as flashy as the big 3 but the wake is very competetive. By adjusting the wakeplate you can go from a very mellow wake to being very vertical. Some people don't care for the ballast bags instead of hard tanks but so far a really like them. When they're empty you have tons of room for storage. Another thing i like about the bags is they're easy to upgrade. We took out the stock 400# bags and replaced them with some 750's and it was truly a plug and play install. . My only complaint so far is when heavily weighted the bow sits pretty low but we haven't had an issue with taking water over the bow so far.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
My first towboat was a moomba. when we weighted it down with the windshield closed, the hull would flex and and pinch the windshield so you could not open it. If it was open when weighted, it would not secure closed because for the same reason. I had absolutely zero issues, warranty or otherwise, with the boat in the 4 years i owned it.

i now own 2 nautiques....
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
in all the boats i've weighted down the windshield has always opened up. i can tell when i open and close the windshield a difference in pressure
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-20-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
I'm surprised Jeff Hill hasn't popped up in this thread yet hahah. I ride behind an 07 lsv, it took a lot of time to dial in the wake but after many countless setups we have made it produce quite a good wake. I took some video today with about 2600-2800 pounds or so in there and I'll grab a frame throw it up here. The wake isn't as long as the big 3 boats usually are but it has good pop when weighted properly. You also of course lose a bit of quality compared to the major 3 because of the major price difference but for a first boat (which this was ours) it was a great buy. I recommend if you are going with the 07 or newer boats I would go XLV if you are looking for the best wake.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-20-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
I see lots of Moombas here in Oregon. I once heard that the Mobius LSV was the #1 selling v-drive in the country... not hard to believe given it's size and price. I think they look sharp too. My neighbor has a red/white 2006 LSV that he pulls behind his red lifted f250. It's a real head turner.

With that said, I was shocked to see an XLV with a "boat show price" of $58K this past winter. I had no idea any Moomba could be that expensive. So i would have to agree with the others who've said that Axis, MB, Tige, or Centurion are all boats that probably offer more bang for about the same buck. Just my opinion.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-20-2010, 10:26 PM Reply   
here's those pics of the wake. Of course I had to pick the best looking frames for myself, well the heelside one at least : D. again that is roughly 2600 pounds of ballast along with my not so pro pop.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
I bought my first Moomba in 05 and my 2nd in 08. I've loved both of them and never had any issues. I sold my first one within 2 weeks of listing it for the exact price I had listed it for, which was only $1000 less than I paid for it brand new before taxes and fees. I probably put $2000 in add ons on it after I bought it. So the loss I took on that one was minimal. Based on my experience, I'd say Moombas have excellent resell.
The one I have now I plan to keep for a while. We love the boat and it does everything we want perfectly. I've ridden behind several other brands and they are all nice, but not nice enough to justify the extra money for me. If I were to sell this one, I'd be looking at another Moomba or a Supra.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
I work on all brands. I have been in and out on every one of them. I just dont care for the moombas. they use indmars wich is good. But the interior and hardware is lacking..you get what you pay for does come into play.I would look for a tige 20v or a malibu v-ride as quality starter boat I just think you would be better off looking for a 2-3yr. old tige,malibu,cc or mc. Again this IMPO god luck with your search for a boat I hope it works out for you.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-21-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
But the interior and hardware is lacking..
Lacking what?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
I've owned a moomba before and can say first hand there is no comparison between the build quality of a moomba and a big three boat. Not saying they are bad boats at all but they are priced cheaper for a reason, they are definitely cheaper to build.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-21-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've owned a moomba before and can say first hand there is no comparison between the build quality of a moomba and a big three boat. Not saying they are bad boats at all but they are priced cheaper for a reason, they are definitely cheaper to build.

I'm always interested in these conversations but we need specific examples... Just saying that there is no comparison doesn't tell us anything.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
The biggest thing I notice going from a moomba to say a mastercraft is how low you sit in a mastercraft. You shoulders are slightly higher than the seating whereas in a moomba you are a bit higher. You don't feel as much in the boat. The quality of upholstery is much better in the big 3. They feel tough and unbreakable and the moombas feel like they are easier to tear, not easy, just easier. Craftsmanship is lost. I have noticed a lot of quickly done jobs throughout my boat like on the back platform the holes that were drilled weren't even drilled straight. The seating is not all hinged and assisted. No removable carpet in mine. In my opinion even with the downsides I have seen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one. You could do like kevin said and look into good used condition ones as well but you will likely find them for the same price as a brand new moomba.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE YOUR FAVORITES ADAM.mastercraft malibu correct craft supra mb epic sanger centurion tige moomba axis standard others i'm sure but i bet i can guess your big three.money buys uneducated imrpessed people . research for quality and value and reliability. that impresses educated people.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Some models do have a low freeboard so you sit higher in the boat. You didn't list models so as far as anyone is concerned, you aren't comparing apples to apples. My first was an Outback. It has a very low freeboard and that was my only complaint about the boat, I knew that going into it though. I now have an LSV and I feel like I'm sitting in the boat now rather than sitting on it. I have ridden is a MC X2 and a Tige 21ve I think. Comparing the 3, the vinyl quality in the MC did feel a little thicker and the carpet felt a little better. It's no secret they use higher grade materials in these areas, hence some of the price difference. There was no noticeable difference in freeboard to me, wake is better on my LSV, and I have more storage room. X2 was nice, just not for me. I didn't like the way it handled and it seemed very over priced to me. I guess all the MC hype had me expecting something that was going to blow my little cheap Moomba away and it was far from that. I couldn't wait to get back in my boat.
The tige I hated. It was a 2002 model I believe and it felt rough. Interior was falling apart, it drove like a pig, was over heating the day we went out, but threw a great wake. That's about all I can say for it.
Before getting my LSV I seriously considered the Malibu V-Ride. I looked at the V-Ride side by side with the LSV along with 4 other people. Every single person with me said to get the LSV as they all felt it was a much nicer boat. The V-Ride was stripped. Plastic cup holders, no radio, 0 options, and cost more.
To the OP, I will tell you just like I have told others in the past. You are on the wrong forum to be asking for unbiased opinions on Moombas. There's a TON of MC, Bu, and Nauti lovers here that will never admit a boat that cost considerably less can compete with them.

Ask a Ferrari owner how they feel about the ZO6 and you will get the same type of answers. ZO6 wins in almost ever category at a fraction of the price, but it's still not a Ferrari.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE YOUR FAVORITES ADAM.mastercraft malibu correct craft supra mb epic sanger centurion tige moomba axis standard others i'm sure but i bet i can guess your big three.money buys uneducated impressed people . research for quality and value and reliability. that impresses educated people.
Robert, if you can't see that the big three use better materials, better components and have a higher build quality then Moomba's then you are blind. There is no doubt that Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautique are the Mercedes, BMW and Lexus of wakeboats and the rest would generally fall in with Chev, Ford, Honda, Toyota. They are by no means bad boats but they don't have the added fit/finish and high level components of the big 3.

It would be a tough choice for me to buy a new Moomba LSV or a 2 or 3 year old MC, Malibu, Nautique but I would probably steer towards the later as they have already taken the big initial hit of depreciation.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
brett you need to do your research honda and ford are much higher in customer satisfaction and build quality than mercedes and lexus and bmw.like i said education.knowledge is power.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
brett you need to do your research honda and ford are much higher in customer satisfaction and build quality than mercedes and lexus and bmw.like i said education.knowledge is power.

The problem Robert is you come across as someone who thinks that anybody who buys a mastercraft, malibu, nautique over any other boat are uninformed idiots. Those big 3 use more and better materials than Moomba. Hell I use to own a friggen Moomba. I also had a Calabria and sold Mastercraft and Centurion. One of my most recent roommates Sold Malibu's. The Moomba in no way seems as solid and of the same quality as the big 3. You tell the difference like night and day when driving the boat in choppy water. The moomba feels light and not as tightly built as those other three boats. Is it worth the extra 30k? Not to me but to some it is and it isn't because they are misinformed, it is because they want a nicer product.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
I'm always interested in these conversations but we need specific examples... Just saying that there is no comparison doesn't tell us anything.
Go sit in one, better yet crawl around in one. It would be very clear to you. At the end of the day it's about what the consumer wants to pay. If your goal is to make a wake they will all do that, some better than others but they will all do it.

When I went from a moomba lsv to a malibu vlx I paid 8k more not the 20-30k people like to toss around. I paid a little more than the boat show special XLV someone posted above for my 23lsv.

Moomba's are great boats and it looks like they just keep getting better. But if someone thinks they are the same as an offering from big 3 they are kidding themselves.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 07-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Go sit in one, better yet crawl around in one. It would be very clear to you. At the end of the day it's about what the consumer wants to pay. If your goal is to make a wake they will all do that, some better than others but they will all do it.
What he said. He use to own a moomba and now is on his second BU.

My dad has always used this quote "there is no such thing as a bad boat, some are just better than others". I think this applies to the wakeboat market.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
i never said moomba was the same i said value for the dollar spent .i have never owned a moomba but have owned 'one of the big three' and been in and ridden behind the others .i do think there are 4 or 5 other boats that compete very well with the big three only they don't get the ohs and ahhs when you mention their names. but the owners still have 10 to 20 thousand dollars they get to keep for basically the same boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
i never said moomba was the same i said value for the dollar spent .i have never owned a moomba but have owned 'one of the big three' and been in and ridden behind the others .i do think there are 4 or 5 other boats that compete very well with the big three only they don't get the ohs and ahhs when you mention their names. but the owners still have 10 to 20 thousand dollars they get to keep for basically the same boat.
I think that's up to the guy giving that dollar to the dealer don't you?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-21-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkey79 View Post
WOW... this all started with this post
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-21-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
One point to note is the 05 Moomba LSV is nothing like the newer ones. A lot has changed. You also are comparing a lot of different models, cause the Outback and the LSV are on different playing fields in terms of price and creature comforts. Do I think their build quality is as good as other boats. Yes. Do they use cheaper components and have less flair. Yes. They are a price point boat and I don't think anyone is claiming that they have the same fit and finish as the others. Bottom line is Moomba is a good boat and a good price. Is it a Mastercraft? No it is a Moomba. Is it a Malibu? No it is a Moomba. Is it a Nautique? No it is a Moomba.
Let the sales speak for themselves as people are buying them and people are still able to resell them. I go to some boat auctions and believe it or not, the Moombas fetch good money. Sometimes more than what I see dealers retail them for......... On that note, we need to stop saying "the big 3" cause if so you are referring to Malibu, Mastercraft, and Skiers Choice. Skiers Choice is #3 in boat sales now.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
One point to note is the 05 Moomba LSV is nothing like the newer ones. A lot has changed. You also are comparing a lot of different models, cause the Outback and the LSV are on different playing fields in terms of price and creature comforts. Do I think their build quality is as good as other boats. Yes. Do they use cheaper components and have less flair. Yes. They are a price point boat and I don't think anyone is claiming that they have the same fit and finish as the others. Bottom line is Moomba is a good boat and a good price. Is it a Mastercraft? No it is a Moomba. Is it a Malibu? No it is a Moomba. Is it a Nautique? No it is a Moomba.
Let the sales speak for themselves as people are buying them and people are still able to resell them. I go to some boat auctions and believe it or not, the Moombas fetch good money. Sometimes more than what I see dealers retail them for......... On that note, we need to stop saying "the big 3" cause if so you are referring to Malibu, Mastercraft, and Skiers Choice. Skiers Choice is #3 in boat sales now.
I think you missed my point, who said anything about an outback? My post was about the theory that you're getting the same boat for 30K less when buying a moomba that kept coming up in this thread. I've been in the newer ones as well, like I said they seem to just keep getting better.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-21-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenteck View Post
WOW... this all started with this post
Haha and I've felt too guilty to even reply to it!!! I've rode on Moombas and they throw a better wake than my skill! I was more reffering the older models, but there are some really good points made in this thread that made me think that I stuck my foot in my mouth...

Either way, I was either going to buy a 2005 Moomba LSV or a 1996 Super Sport Nauti for roughly the same price. (Moomba was $3k more) .. I chose the Nauti that had been abused much worse but was holding up much better than the Moomba.

Last edited by bkey79; 07-21-2010 at 1:07 PM.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
SOOO ... getting back to Joseph's original question

Joseph, I have an '07 Moomba LSV and it's been a great trouble free and solid boat. Has planty of power and does the job well. I added two 750lb sacs in the back in place of the stock 400's and it throws a nice big wake in conjunction with the adjustable wakeplate and front 400. I bought it new in early '08 loaded for $39,800 OTD.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-21-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
nu bu
my post was not directed at you. it was directed at several comments made from several people... just tried to post it all at once...
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
hahah I meant to use "the big 3" as a random camparison. That guy said he wanted specifics lol and the only other boat I commonly ride behind is an X-Star so.. I made the comparison. I must say for the price we got our moomba for I am more than satisfied. Now the dealer we got it from is a whole different story but as far as the boat itself. It runs, hasn't stopped, puts out a fun wake with some careful maneuvering of ballast, has a few small problems that were easily fixed, and is a great looking boat. Like I said earlier the materials and the overall quality aren't the best but that is why we saved 20k+ if not more. (Comparing prices once again to my buddy's same year x-star). and yes I have also heard Diggs, that they do resale quite well.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
nu bu
my post was not directed at you. it was directed at several comments made from several people... just tried to post it all at once...
My bad.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
What he said. He use to own a moomba and now is on his second BU.

My dad has always used this quote "there is no such thing as a bad boat, some are just better than others". I think this applies to the wakeboat market.
I don't know abotu that, I've seen some very bad boats. My friend had one that was afraid of the water
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-21-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
we just bought a 2010 fully loaded LSV last month. Love it!

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
this thread reminds me of many others . he doesn't sweat much for a fat kid. when you could have said he was jolly and friendly and got along well with others. every product has it's kool aid drinkers. some live up to the hype others don't. all i'm saying is this is a value boat. not the best. not the worst but it is a lot of boat and a lot of features for the dollars spent. every time someone says they like a moomba,axis,standard, centurion, mb,epic,sanger or tige.the slam is coming well its not one of the big three. yes it's not and it doesn't cost as much either. everyone has to make their own decision on what they can justify spending compared to what they are getting. like i said before in another thread. i owned one of the 'BIG THREE' it was a perfect boat i didn't ever want to sell it.BOOM i saw something i really liked . i researched it compared it to everything out there and made my decision. i paid cash[and could still pay cash for any of the big three] thats without selling my boat. so i bought what i could justify. no one wants to hear what they are considering is inferior. they know there may be some quality and feature differences. also all of us aren't pro wakeboarders. truth be known most all of us are recreational riders. lets just try and be supportive and helpful instead of critical and spiteful. i think some of my messages have been interpeted the wrong way my education reference was about people who don't know the product but know the name. that doesn't make it better. okay enough ranting!EVERYONE HAPPY BOARDING!
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Moomba is a great place to start. We had our 2001 Outback for 8 years and it was a good boat all things considered / price / maintenance / versatility. You do get what you pay for, it did not have the fit and finish of a MC / CC or a Malibu but mechanically it was equally as sound as any of them.

It is a myth that Moomba’s somehow depreciate faster then other boats.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
this thread reminds me of many others . he doesn't sweat much for a fat kid. when you could have said he was jolly and friendly and got along well with others. every product has it's kool aid drinkers. some live up to the hype others don't. all i'm saying is this is a value boat. not the best. not the worst but it is a lot of boat and a lot of features for the dollars spent. every time someone says they like a moomba,axis,standard, centurion, mb,epic,sanger or tige.the slam is coming well its not one of the big three. yes it's not and it doesn't cost as much either. everyone has to make their own decision on what they can justify spending compared to what they are getting. like i said before in another thread. i owned one of the 'BIG THREE' it was a perfect boat i didn't ever want to sell it.BOOM i saw something i really liked . i researched it compared it to everything out there and made my decision. i paid cash[and could still pay cash for any of the big three] thats without selling my boat. so i bought what i could justify. no one wants to hear what they are considering is inferior. they know there may be some quality and feature differences. also all of us aren't pro wakeboarders. truth be known most all of us are recreational riders. lets just try and be supportive and helpful instead of critical and spiteful. i think some of my messages have been interpeted the wrong way my education reference was about people who don't know the product but know the name. that doesn't make it better. okay enough ranting!EVERYONE HAPPY BOARDING!

Education is everything you're right about that. Why don't you take some of that left over money you brag about and take some english grammar classes.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
It's not bragging if you can back it up. It's confidence! I didn't ever do well in english but did alright in money making 101 lol
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-21-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
What do you want me to say Adam ? LOL

I bought a Moomba because I liked the look of the boat, It was in my price range, And not every tom/dick/ harry had one.

My friends have the big 3. And I've had the chance to get wrecked by the wakes on almost all the good ones 205v, old 210 ,VLX and all my friends got them dialed as far as wake.

So why buy a boat just like my friends ? I took a chance on my LSV and love it !

If you are ever in the Sacramento area and want to ride behind it, I will try and let you decide for your self if it was worth it to save 30k or not.

I wanted a work horse and I ride that thing hard and beat on it. And it just keeps asking for more. Nah the interior isn't as nice as the big 3 but I want to ride behind it....Not in it !

Now had I wanted a party,look at all my speaker chill kind of boat well I might have wanted a party barge with a home stereo on board lol.

I just hope everybody has a good time with whatever they choose and please NO POWER TURNING !
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
The "no powerturns" comment was exactly what I was looking for. thanks for the input jeff lol
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-21-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
Moombas are great and seem every bit as good as other higher priced boats. If you are coming from an i/o into a wakeboat that is.I almost bought one when i "upgraded" once i looked at another brand there wasn't alot of comparison.It 's in the details and the details made it worth paying a little more for a used boat
instead of new.

I didn't want the fisher price my first wakeboat.There definately is a difference when comparing to Malibu, Mastercraft or CC. youre kidding yourself if you dont see it.

Last edited by apwrx; 07-21-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: i
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
CHOICE this is america and we have freedom of choice.everyone chooses different. we all need to respect the fact that everyone is not going to choose just like you or think just like you. thats not a bad thing . you employ more people that way. also you get to enjoy more boats that way. i agree with the statement i've never seen a bad boat just some i like better than others.the main point i'm trying to make with my bad grammar is you are not better than someone else because of what boat you own. the guy with the [fill in the blank] is probably as happy as he can be to own a boat and have fun. he or she are at peace with what they have it was their choice and it doesn't matter to them what you own. they are happy for you as well.HAPPY BOATING
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
CHOICE this is america and we have freedom of choice.everyone chooses different. we all need to respect the fact that everyone is not going to choose just like you or think just like you. thats not a bad thing . you employ more people that way. also you get to enjoy more boats that way. i agree with the statement i've never seen a bad boat just some i like better than others.the main point i'm trying to make with my bad grammar is you are not better than someone else because of what boat you own. the guy with the [fill in the blank] is probably as happy as he can be to own a boat and have fun. he or she are at peace with what they have it was their choice and it doesn't matter to them what you own. they are happy for you as well.HAPPY BOATING
Nobody has taken it there besides you, nor was that anyones intention. This is direct feedback to the OP. You may want to go back and read it, better yet here you go.

"I have never been out on one, but how would it compare to a Nautique or high end Mastercraft"

Quit preaching it's getting old. Nobody has said Moomba makes a bad boat in this thread.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
You need to read the whole thread over and over its said to be cheap no resale poor structural design poor wake certainly not in the class of the big three. Yes it may not be but it doesn't have the same price point. Customers don't expect perfection.this is not preaching it's a statement of facts.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-22-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Nobody has taken it there besides you, nor was that anyones intention. This is direct feedback to the OP. You may want to go back and read it, better yet here you go.
Quote:

"I have never been out on one, but how would it compare to a Nautique or high end Mastercraft
"

Quit preaching it's getting old. Nobody has said Moomba makes a bad boat in this thread.
Best post in the thread!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
You need to read the whole thread over and over its said to be cheap no resale poor structural design poor wake certainly not in the class of the big three. Yes it may not be but it doesn't have the same price point. Customers don't expect perfection.this is not preaching it's a statement of facts.
Hasn't that been the point all along, yes they are great boats but they are cheaper for a reason.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-22-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Man, this is just like politics.

You have the people that are exceptionally loyal to "big three" for whatever reason.

You then have the people that think that the people that own one of the big three are idiots for buying one of the big three.

Guys this is wakeboarding not NASCAR (a lot of this reminds me of the bickering between Chevy and Ford {what next are the Malibu owners going to have the sticker on their boat of the kid peeing on the Nautique?}). The main focus is to buy a boat that is going to meet your needs regardless of what nameplate on the boat. Not everyone has the funds to buy an XStar, 210, or Wakesetter.

My advice to the OP is to fully examine the Moomba (which I would have no problem of buying). Look inside the hatches, pick up the seat cushions, and get a test drive and then do a comparison to another brand. Chances are you will make the right decision.

My .02 is that ANY boat line is susceptible to design flaws or manufacturing mistakes regardless of MSRP.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
end of discussion!
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
i know its semantics, but using the word "cheaper" implies less quality. "less expensive" would be more accurately descriptive w/o the negative connotation...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-22-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post

My .02 is that ANY boat line is susceptible to design flaws or manufacturing mistakes regardless of MSRP.
100% true. My VTX has design flaws in the stereo cover, the little screens on the nose of the boat, and some of the latches. Still love my boat and think you'd be hard pressed not to find flaws on any wakeboat made
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
end of discussion!
Gee ok .
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
i know its semantics, but using the word "cheaper" implies less quality. "less expensive" would be more accurately descriptive w/o the negative connotation...

Yeah you're right I was thinking about that when I wrote it. I was not implying cheaper meant low quality, it was meant as less expensive.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
my fingers are wore out!