Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (wakechic2786)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-12-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Ok! I took my 1999 Mastercraft Sportstar out for the first time today. When we put in and I took off, I noticed it was smoking out the back but then it quit. We rode around for about 20-25 mins when I noticed the temp gauge jumped way up! I killed the motor and raised the engine cover and smoke came out. My impeller ended up being chewed all to pieces. I had someone pull us back to the dock. My check engine light never came on and the temp alarm never went off. Do you think that it caused any damage to the motor? Just for the record my check engine light and alarm do work. I am ordering a new impeller and after I install it I am going to hook it up to the fake-a-lake to make sure everything is ok.

(Message edited by wakechic2786 on March 12, 2008)
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Man good luck. It's 50/50. First time I did it, I cracked the heads. Next time in the same boat, I cracked the exhaust manifolds.

We took the boat apart ourselves and had a local company repair the heads for $300 and I bought a used set of exhaust manifolds for the same price.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-12-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
I did the same thing only we were sitting idling when the temp. went up, driving was fine. The engine light did come on though, we replaced the impeller and everything was fine. Good luck, hope you caught it in time.
Old     (wakechic2786)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-12-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
This is my first inboard so what will I see if it did damage the heads or manifolds or etc? I know to look at the oil to make sure it isn't milky looking. Is that the only thing?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Did you guys forget to hook up the hose to the impeller or what. I did that once, smoke, burnt rubber smell and had to replace the 4" rubber exhaust hose coming off the manifolds. Other than that I got really lucky. No major damage.
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-12-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
If the head is cracked it will cause your oil to become milky. If it's the manifold that's cracked it will leak. This might explain the smoke that was in the engine compartment. It might of been steam and not smoke.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Well the oil like you said is the first thing to check out. You might pay to get a compression test after replacing the impeller. Not to expensive.

But both times, my motor was hydrolocked immediately after installing the impeller and starting the boat. Luckily I never bent any rods.

Luckily you don't have an OHC, so yanking the heads aren't really as bad as it seems. Bout 3-4 hours worth of work w/ one guy on each side. Ask around, I bet you got a buddy somewhere that knows motors.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
When my impeller shredded on my 99 launch it popped both head gaskets and blistered the inside of the exhaust tubes. 1 day of work and about $300.00 I was good to go again. Let us know how yours turns out.
Old    dabigkahuna            03-12-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
As long as your over-temp light didn't come on you should be fine. Most ford and chevy blocks can handle way more heat then what most boaters think. If you look at the temp range in a truck you'll see that the "red" line on the temp is a lot higher than the "red" line on the boat's gauge. Pretty much the same engine internally, so I can't imagine why a boat's "red" line is lower, other than safety issues and USCG regs.
Old    tythurston            03-12-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
I shredded my impeler which really isn't that uncommen and my temp gauge went of so i idled the boat back to the dock and it works GREAT
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       03-13-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
I think you will be fine, sounds like you caught it in time.

You probably know this, but make sure you get all the pieces of rubber impeller out of the lines, tranny cooler, etc... If you don't get all the pieces out, it can drastically reduce water flow to the motor.

Good luck and let us know how things turned out,
JT
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-13-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
The smoke coming out when you started up could have been oil in the cylinders if the previous owner winterized the engine; it burns off pretty quick.

the impeller failure could have been unrelated to the start-up smoke. Like someone said, try to get all the pieces out. Also, when you put the new impeller in, make sure the fins of the impeller are bent based on the rotational direction of your water pump. This keeps from breaking a new fin.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-13-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing on the start up smoke.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
I burnt mine up last year. Took off not looking at temp guage..light and alarm went off, killed the engine, opened compartment, tons of smoke, scared the $@#! out of me. All that happened was I burnt up and exhaust manifold gasket. Replaced impeller and gasket and everything has been fine. I agree with dabigkahuna about block temps..i have redlined lots of chevys towing/hot rodding and they have all been fine.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-13-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
This is the first year we've had an inboard and after having an I/O I was surprised not to see a water pressure gauge in our new MC. It seems to me failing impeller can be changed when you notice a loss of water pressure before catastrophic failure. Without the pressure gauge your relying on your reaction time to shut the motor down after the temp gauge rises or the idiot light came on....by then it's usually too late. Opinions?
Old     (eudy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
You need to 1. leak down test motor
2. check trans cooler for restriction
of water to impeller
3. inspect rubber exhaust for inside
blistering to prevent boat flood
4. look at mufflers inside for what
looks like black doll hair(damage)
If these all check out you should be fine,Eudy.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
how do you check if the impeller is good. just bout a 06 22v with 70 hours. 340 hp vortec. what is the normal tim eto change it.
Old     (eudy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
100 hours of opperation or two years
email charles.eudy@sbcglobal.net if you need info on how to do. Eudy
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-13-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Had the same problem with mine last summer, ruined my day, thankfully nothing was damaged, but as mentioned by a couple of people above make sure that u get all the broken pieces of impeller out of your lines...the mechanic that replaced my impeller totally forgot to do this, and thankfully I caught his mistake before it really screwed something up...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-13-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
i have fried many impellers riding on the delta. on the malibu there is another filter type part that the water goes through before going through the block. make sure you take that off and clean it out everytime you fry an impeller. i went though about 3 and then figured that out. there was enough rubber in there to make at least 2 full impellers