Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-11-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
taking out the center fin on tthe 140 03 absolute...how does it effect the characters?

thank you
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-11-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
YOu get loose, I am riding a 05 Absolute with .5 fins trying to move to finless gradually. Brick rides finless and loves it. The ability to slide it around helps alot in saving some otherwise sure crashes. It takes some getting use to but helps alot in making you edge correctly.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-11-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
what about pop off the wake also?
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-11-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
Pop dosen't change. As long as your on edge through the wake then your pop will not change. In fact I have noticed a much better pop due to having to make sure I am on edge through the wake.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
I also have an '05 Absolute 141 and I have only used the fins like twice. I like a "loose" board alot better....but I am still getting used to my proper "edge" Every now and then I still get the awkward launch off the wake and that spells for trouble! haha I have sore ribs and butt from bad jumps this past weekend. BUT the board is GREAT on landings and I just need to get my edging down and I'll be set! Good luck!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
The '03 may not have enough fin to ride finless. If I remeber that board right the molded fins are very small. Right now I am riding the '05 finless (or should I say without the center fin). I've never even tried it with the fins. I think the less fins the better the board releases from the wake and the faster it rides. That and it makes you focus on your technique.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
i ride my 04 LF Substance w/o center fin, it is hard to put it on edge, but you can save so much stupid mistakes that you make, like on my backside 180's if i dont quite get it around w/ fins i do a back plant because it catches the fins, w/o fin it will slide alittle and i can either slide to finish the 180 or go back to regular.

i think the substance has some pretty small molded side fins as well.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-11-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
I have a 03 absolute and just took the fins off for the first time last week. I I havent ridden since last year due to acl injury, but I could not tell much difference, if you are edging properly already it wont make much difference. I like riding it without fyi!
Old    svfara            07-11-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
I have an '03 Absolute 140
Been riding it finless for 2 years, I love it!
IMO it feels way too locked in with the fins on.
In-fact, I ended up selling the fins because I know I'll never use them again
Old    r_dub            07-11-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
I made this post in another thread a few weeks ago, but it seems like it would be relevant in this thread as well. This comment is not necessarily specific to the absolute, but any board that has removable center fins.
(I felt a disclaimer was appropriate because I’ve never had the pleasure of riding the absolute)

It seems that whenever I hear people bring this issue up, everyone seems to be in the "all or nothing" category. Just recently I put the front fin ONLY back on my Ricky G and it has helped my switch riding tremendously. I love the loser feel. But, I also wanted to start progressing on my switch tricks. Even though I never owned a Temet, I guess I kind of bought into that Murray/Temet theory of “You can’t ride the same both ways”. Well some can I guess (Parks), but I know I can’t.
Just something to consider!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
with fins and without fins are two completely different boards, i hated the absolute with the fins but finless loved it and progressed much quicker.
FYI
i had the 03 platinum for only a month......loved it, killed it, getting ready to bury it. RIP board......
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
I ride a Parks 03 138 finless and love it, every now and then I put on a set of .7's on when trying new vert tricks but once I plant them a few times I take the fins back off. I've thought about switching to a Roam board but I love my Parks board.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-12-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
well, after all this...i just bought a longer board yesterday. i felt i was sinking the absolute too much with my weight. I did not want to give the board up, but finally succumbed. Anyone want to buy a 140 absolute?
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-12-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
murphy might need to take you up on that! seein how he just broke his in half!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-12-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
let me know.
Old    erlingiii            07-12-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
more of a general board questoin, can you do sliders without taking off the fins?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
murphy has an 05 platinum coming into rockford marina tomorrow......:-)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
Erling, yes you can. I really don't feel comfortable especially if I know im gonna be spinning on the rail. All the aluminum fins were made for slider use since they cant chip. I just don't like the idea of catching an edge from a fin on a slider.