Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    upupnaway            09-22-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
Short vid clip of my rookie year (1 min. long). I am very pleased with the way it came out.
I am already looking forward to next season!!!!
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9024
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-22-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
good stuff Mike. That's great progress for your first year.
Old    fng03            09-22-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
Kudos on your most triumphant Year One, my brother! I look forward to seeing next year's achievements (more new tricks, less broken noses).

Also, props on your choice of soundtrack (though when I heard it, I really expected to see mass carnage). I don't know that Carl Orff was much into wakeboarding, but I'm sure he'd be happy with your performance, as well.

Old    jakeman            09-22-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
sweet

love the no-handed fashion air

late/jake
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-23-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
One YEAR!?!?!?!?! How often do you ride? That's awesome...see you on the pro tour in about 2 more years if you keep progressing that fast! (O.K. maybe 3! )
Old    lakesideluver            09-23-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
mikey mikey, nice work man.....sorry i didnt make it down again but business has been swell and ive got some real nagging injuries....(surgery in late oct)....ill find ya next year on here but i gotta know....what editing software are you using? its still slider whether down here if you and liz get a chance yet....but the boat comes out in a week or two.....we always have the jetski for the slider.....and ill be in florida starting oct 2
Old    lakesideluver            09-23-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
hey by the way, what kind of progress did liz make this year? and damn dude, add 5 ft to that rope or youll be get knee surgery with me
Old    upupnaway            09-23-2003, 4:40 PM Reply   
Dang, Mike! what did you do to your knee? You are right on about the rope. I leave it at 70 because of my pathetic lack of skill on my toeside airs.
Progress wise, I got first in the mens intermediate division at the contest the board shop had down here, and I got an invite to the INT nationals for mens intermediate.
I finally learned how to go wake to wake properly about mid july, and everthing fell into place. got a couple of inverts, 360's on the heelside so far, front side and back side, playing around with suicide spins, (i want to land a 360 suicide before the end of the year).
The fat seat and sac certainly helped, I do not think it was coincidence that I hit the tantrum the day we got the seat.

The editing software for that vid was the freebie I got with my capture card, Ulead video pro 6. I capture with ulead video studio 4.

Going to florida with a torn up knee? Are you going to ride?
Old    upupnaway            09-23-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
As far as liz goes, her video is coming soon....
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Are you kidding me! That's some talent kid. This was our first year as well and it took a couple outings just to figure out how to get up the proper way. I'd also like to know how often you go? What is a fat seat/fat sac? It speaks to the weight in the boat, correct? I guess if I wanna be like Mike, I better get some nads and step it up with the tricks. Well done.
Old    upupnaway            09-24-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
Usually we can count on 3 times a week. I learned how to get up and carve behind a waverunner late last year, and we bought a boat late last september. I got to go out on that about 3 times last year.
The fat seat is a seat shaped bag you fill with water, and the sac is a big grey tube you fill with water. It gives me about 2000 pounds of weight to enhance the wake.

My learning came in starts and stops. I was clueless at the beginning of the year, until I learned a proper wake to wake in july. Then the tricks came one after another. I hit a brick wall on inverts and spins, and learned nothing for about a month, then after focusing on solid basics something clicked, and I started hitting everything on a consistant basis.
The fundamentals are not to be overlooked. When I tried to run before I could walk, I beat myself up and gained nothing.
I also could never have progressed like this if I did not have such a tolerant driver.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-24-2003, 3:01 PM Reply   
I cant believe that was your first year. I cant help but think that I am behind the power curve a little. Good work.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-24-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
I cant believe that was your first year. I cant help but think that I am behind the power curve a little. Good work.
Old    upupnaway            09-25-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
I did have a slight head start, I have been on a skateboard since I was born it seems. My knees just cannot take that kind of punishment anymore. Wakeboarding gives me all of the thrill and more, all wrapped up in a pain free package with an abrasionless bow.
Old    fng03            09-25-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
"Pain free"? Hmmmm.....
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-25-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
All I got to say is WOW! After one year of riding, you truly are talented. That is some great riding!
Old    lakesideluver            09-25-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
mike i tweaked my knee on a backroll back in july? maybe early august but i never quit riding and just last week i landed flat on a 360 and it all came flooding back, its not a major surgery but im done riding for the year, except sliding.....and yea we are taking the jetski and the rave slider with us
Old    pans210            09-25-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
Mike, Are you going to be down in ottawa this weekend? If so hopefully ill see you there, and you will need a third. I will have plenty of gas money. Ill shot you an email with my cell number.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2003, 3:58 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan - We are still thinking about going the only glitch is the cold weather prediction. Send us your cell and we will call if we get down that way. I'd love to get one more full day of riding in so I may just have to suck it up and shiver...God, I'm starting to sound old.