Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (stetts)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-09-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
We just picked up a new boat. It has a teak swim platform and it is in bad shape. I know I have seen a thread on how to restore the teak platforms but I cant find it. Does anyone have some good advice on restoring the platform (what do you use and what are the steps to doing it right?)?

Also does anyone know were or if it is possible to swap the teak for a fiberglass platform for a 04' X-10?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-09-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Sand the platform smooth (with the grain). Then use the Star Brite 3 step process. A brightner,cleaner and then oil. Worked great for me.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-09-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Dry it out. Sand it. Then three thick coats of HippoLiner. And you will NEVER have to do anything to it again!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
I brought one back from the dead on my first boat. Like Aaron posted: sand, sand, and then sand. Then the Star Brite stuff.
Old     (dreamer69)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hey Josh, maybe if we work together we can answer our question. "HeHateMe" is HippoLiner a truck bed coating? Where can we find Star Brite 3 step process?
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-09-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Absolutely do not put Hippo Liner on a teak platform, especially if you appreciate the beauty and durability of teak. It doesn't take much maintenance for a teak platform to look great all the time.

Nathan, you can find the Star Brite at your local boating store, West Marine, Overtons, Bass Pro, etc.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-09-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
Teak is easy to maintain (a couple coats of teak oil a season) and it is beautiful.

If it is just a white dry looking color, you can get it back looking like a piece of furniture. It rarely rots unless it sat under water for years. Everyone has a technique to clean teak, so here is mine. I use 20 mule team Borax (laundry detergent). Seriously, it works and it doesn't bleach the wood like some of the kits you buy. A old guy that had sailboats told my dad about Borax20 years ago. Take the Borax and spread it on the platform and use a stiff brisle brush (nylon not metal), then wet it and scrub. It basically is like wet sanding. Let it dry overnight and the next day you may have to sand it a little. Get teh dust off and put on some teak oil. Starbrite Golden Premium Teak Oil looks good, but it washes off fast. The regular starbrite lasts longer.

In the summer, when my teak starts whinening, I clean it after I get home from the river and let it dry overnight. The next day I oil it and let it dry overnight and it is done. It may take 1 hour 2-3 times a year. Here was my teak at 2 years old. Upload
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-09-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
My platform looks great after I finish it, but after a couple time out riding it gets all scratched up. How do you guys keep it looking good?
Old     (dreamer69)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
1boarder, that looks great! I can only hope ours will look like that when done. Even looks like our boat. Thanks
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-09-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Woody,
Thats the downside to teak. On the upside, it doesn't chip and you can sand out any dings. Both teak and fiberglass have their advantages/disadvantages, but I prefer teak. I have touched up the scratches between coats though. I took this picture after it dried, so no one had been on it yet.

Nathan,
Unless your wood is rotten (which I seriously doubt) it won't be that hard to get it to look like this. Also, walmart carries starbright products now.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-10-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I had my platform rhino-lined for $100. No maintenance, not too rough and looks great. I wish I had a pic but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-10-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
My Sanger 3 year after being sprayed with Linex. My lab toe nails scratched the hell out of the teak. No it does not get hot either. Best $125 I spent.
Rick
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-10-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Rick, I love the way your lined platform looks every time someone asks a question about Rhino-Lining a teak platform I always think of yours and how badass it turned out
Old     (stetts)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-10-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the pics and feedback. It helps alot. Didnt know my uncle posted asking about the same question. Cant wait to get our new boat in the water this summer and see how good our platform comes out. I will post pics.
Old     (stetts)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-10-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Upload

Bad Pic...but this is what we are starting with.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-10-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
That isn't in bad shape at all. Just use the 3 step process. There are a few out there and I personally think TeakWonder works really good.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-10-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Man that is teak in awesome condition. No warping and no splitting. I would lightly sand it after I washed it, and then I would oil it. It will look brand new.

This is starting with teak in bad shape.
Upload

And I got this out of it with a sanding and some oil. I re-oil about every 10th outing.
Upload
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       12-10-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
The line-x/rhino liner platform looks great...I do have to say though that it will not be that black and shiny forever. I had my Tundra bed line-exed back in 2002 and it has definitely lost most of its jet black shiny color. The sun will fade it over time. Personally I love my teak platform...looks like a coffee table!! My friends all raise hell because I oil it so much and they keep slipping off of it!
Old     (dreamer69)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-10-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Slipping off of it is something that we are worried about. Do they get slippery?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-10-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
No....unless someone leaves excessive oil on it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-10-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
Yes, they do get slick. I did the three step process on my MC205 swimstep years ago. After going thru the sanding & oiling, the swimstep was looking great, we were rafted up to a group of other boats hanging out on Sammamish & I had a guy walk from one boat to mine. He slipped & fell on the swimstep, breaking the bracket underneath. I hunted around for brackets for a long time before I could find a replacement.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-10-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Josh, that's normal. Pour teak oil on it and spread it with a brush. Wait several hours and wipe off any excess with a rag. Rub it with a stripping pad made of plastic then repeat the oil. It won't take much. My teak deck is not slippery.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-11-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I thought it wasn't a good idea to sand the platform for the very reason that it becomes too slippery. I can see cleaning/scrubbing it but not sanding it.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-11-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
I'me ready to either Linex or rhino line my platform. The big question is witch one is better?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
I did not sand mine and it turned out great. It was a little slippery though.

BEFORE
Upload
AFTER
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-11-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Likewise Woody. I have an MC205 swimstep that I'm ready to sacrifice for a test. I talked with the Linex guy here in town & am told that I can get it done in a variety of colors & textures. I am thinking going with a smooth black Linex & adding a Traxx pad top to it.
I understand there is at least one other option that you apply yourself... it's called Herculiner. http://www.herculiner.com and is a lot less expensive.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-12-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
When you sand your swim step I would recommend not using a paper finer than 120 grit, 80 or 100 would be best. Always sand with the grain that way the scratches will not show. The heavy grit paper will give some tooth to the wood so it is not slick. Then add you teak oil. Natural teak is the best. If it gets nicked, scratched or damaged in any way you can fix it real easy. If your fiberglass or truck bed liner gets damaged it is much harder to repair.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Better look again, Brandon. Gelcoat repair is no more difficult that spreading & sanding bondo. And truck bed liner is just painting it on with a brush.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-12-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I've done both (sanding teak and repairing fiberglass/gelcoat) and sanding/staining or even cutting new boards and rebuilding teak is about 14324213423 times easier than effing with fiberglass or gelcoat.
Old     (dreamer69)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-12-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I think we are going to refinish the teak and see how we like it for at least a year and then if we don't like it we may LineX it. I think it would look sweet up against the black on the boat. Thanks for all the input everyone!!