Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-16-2012, 4:48 AM Reply   
Was Daniel Grant robbed at the Wake Open Big Air? The front 3 to 540 rewind was one of the sickest things I've ever seen off a kicker. Raph's 10 was great but I think the kid should have taken that comp down, instead of being given 3rd.

Check out 1:49 in the recap vid if you havn't seen it yet.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2012, 4:57 AM Reply   
I'd like to agree with you. It wasn't the best of landings but he did and no one else has even attempted it. Sick style
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-16-2012, 5:00 AM Reply   
Man I almost posted about this last night. In all aspects it's hard to take a heel 10 away from Raph but at the same time there have been so many talks lately about new tricks and where the sport is going. That was on of the most innovative tricks I have seen in awhile and a tough call by the judges.
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-16-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
I totally agree - though the front 3 rewind 5 was way better. Agreed not the best landing but it was more stylish than the 10.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-16-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
I agree but I have watched him ride a lot and think that they set the bar pretty high for him. IMO this is not the first time he has been robbed. I am not sure if they are super critical because he is young or what.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
Didn't he spin TS BS off the kicker, making it a BS 3 to FS 7? Either way I think he got the shaft. Not so much for not winning, but I think he got some lowball score like an 86, while Raph got a 95 or something. How can that crazy trick get an 86?!

I love how Grant did a different rewind spin in his park run. I believe it was a TS BS 5 rewind 180.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
hmmmmmm could it be because he rides for..........Monster?????? and not the energy drink which the event was in the event name. Such a hard call to say he beat Raph's ten (in my mind Daniel Grant should have won) But at the very least he should have recieved 2nd place i think he beat priestly and rathy's doubles. (for the record i know Daniel won a redbull event in june)
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
it was sick but I think the 10 deserved the win. A 10 off the sesitec is more comparable to a boat 10, you don't get the help
like you do off of a normal cable. Daniel definitely deserved second though
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-16-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
The 10 was great but if it's hard to spin a 10 on the 2.0 it's got to be at least as hard to rewind to a 5 on the Sesitec. Plus that grab in the middle was so solid and steezed. The landing was a bit rough but if you saw him try the rewinds in the park finals you could see how dificult it was to even rewind to a 3.

I never considered the Monster thing but I don't think that really had anything to do with it. I think it has more to do with age and his typically high level of tech. Plus everyone loves Raph and was pulling for him.

I still think new tricks and first time landed in a comp tricks should get a few extra pts.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
the way i see it: A multitude of other sports can spin 10s. This sport (to my knowledge) is the only "Action Sport" that can even make a 3 to 5 rewind (or whatever the hell that was) EVEN POSSIBLE. For someone to be creative and technical enough to pull it off should be rewarded appropriately. and i personally thought the landing was badass, sketchy = big cheers.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-16-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Anyone know what's up with Tom Fooshee? He isn't even on the heat sheet http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ay-3-of-3.html
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Plus he poked the $H!T out of that 3. very legit
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-16-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
I saw Daniel throw that trick live, and it was one of the few things that I watched go down that made me have to remember to close my mouth. Don't get me wrong, all of the riders were putting on a show and killing it, but after watching so many doubles, it was just out of the blue and really unique.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-16-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Tom said something about his foot bothering him
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-16-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Agreed this is what i thought when i saw it... That trick was definitely the best trick thrown down.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
It was a TS BACKSIDE spin, back to a TS frontside 7.

I couldn't agree that he was "robbed". It would suck to be a judge though. A 1080 is a 1080, but Grants trick was the coolest thing that went down.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
"Didn't he spin TS BS off the kicker, making it a BS 3 to FS 7? "

Yes.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-16-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Not that I care... or I'm a judge.... I think it didn't get the props you guys want it to cause the 3 wasn't a clean 3. If you watch closely before he leaves the kicker he's already spun 90 and only completes a 180 after that... that being said I will say it's an impressive trick .... but good eye by the judges.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-16-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Is anyone doing real rewinds behind the boat.
Pretty impressive stuff.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Yep. Adam E. did a Heel front 3 to blind behind the boat at the RedBull open. Bob Soven does one, and a small handful of other riders.

"If you watch closely before he leaves the kicker he's already spun 90 and only completes a 180 after that"

That's the nature of the Kicker. All of the Double half cabs landed off of the kicker also had some pre spin. Everyone spins 90 up the ramp before they flip.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-16-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Was it one hit winner-take-all or the best of two scores? Because Raph's Double Half Cab Indy + a Switch Heel 10 would have been pretty hard to beat. But Daniel's trick was one of the coolest things I've seen on a wakeboard: ever.
Jimmy Lariche has a pretty sick Heel 5 off the wake that he stalls out. Not really rewind, but super shifty.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-16-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Yep. Adam E. did a Heel front 3 to blind behind the boat at the RedBull open. Bob Soven does one, and a small handful of other riders.

"If you watch closely before he leaves the kicker he's already spun 90 and only completes a 180 after that"

That's the nature of the Kicker. All of the Double half cabs landed off of the kicker also had some pre spin. Everyone spins 90 up the ramp before they flip.
Even so If you watch he doesn't do a 360... 270 ya but not a 3..... sorry you gotta call it what it is...

Once again I'll never be able to do it and it is very impressive.... but don't rag on the judging, should be impressed that they can see that at full speed.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
I will agree that the trick was definitely the coolest looking of the contest and that it should have been ahead above both of the doubles but the 10 especially with the pop that kicker was throwing was the most difficult trick. DG's was pretty much a ts bs 270 stale to bs 5 but if you look at the trick and ts bs 1s off kickers in general, they get a ton of slack by spinning most of the first 180 and pretty much getting the first handle pass off the kicker, and not to take anything away from DG but he definitely initiated a majority of that first bs 180 off kicker, and then got to around 270 locked in the grab and spun the bs 5 but with the 10, it was all initiated in the air, more of an edge, more pop, way more line tension and overall the harder trick. Now as for the double inverts, too me they are more of a all or nothing trick that you either come around or you don't, but you don't have to worry about all of those handle passes. The amazing thing too me is that a 14 year old shouldn't be able to power that trick like that physiologically, it really is incredible and as long as he doesn't explode his knees, i don't see anyone touching him in a couple years.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
Was DG on a candy sugar high or something? I love positive vibes from riders but this kid couldn't sit still. It was funny for a few mins but got very irratating very quickly. Also I thought that there was way to much down time between runs where on tv we just sat there looking at riders lookin like a fish out of water on that crappy startdock. There was one point where the camera just stayed shooting Nico standing w his board for like 3 strait minutes!!! I also thought the actual rail riding was mediocre at best compared to other 2.0 events like wakelab, wake the line, and wake of fame. Just my 2cents.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
it's not that the rail riding was mediocre, it was that the rails were mediocre and I don't know about you guys but the quarterpipe has to go until they actually figure something that works.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
"DG's was pretty much a ts bs 270 stale to bs 5"

Now we're really splitting hairs. haha It took me a while to understand how you extracted a BS 5 from that. You're saying that after he finishes the TS backside stalefish 270, that the trick essentially resets, and the fact that he left toeside no longer matters?

That wouldn't really make sense. You called the first part of the trick a TS / backside, but once he changes direction, that's a backside spin too?

Last edited by jarrod; 07-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
As cable tricks go, if you cheat the spin off the kicker you don't turn the trick from ts to hs or visa versa. With ts bs spins off kickers you need to cheat the handle pass and rotation to help decrease the line tension so as a cable rider yes it was a ts bs spin but he didn't spin it any further than 270 degrees when he grabbed it, so let me change it to keep it within spinning terms, ts bs 180 late stale to rewind bs 5. I don't care if he cheated the spin, to me it still looks sick, but in the judges eyes it makes a big difference and it should.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
still shots
Attached Images

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
I can't agree that the last part of the trick is a backside 5. How can you say he spun backside, and then changed directions and that's backside too??

If you take the backside stalefish trick out of the equation, it's a TSFS 7.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
angle 2
Attached Images

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-16-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Call it what you will.
Judge how you want.
I know we can ALL agree it is a sick move that you can watch over and over again and stay stoked.

By the end of the season some kid will be doing a mobe version, somehow...
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 1:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
it's not that the rail riding was mediocre, it was that the rails were mediocre and I don't know about you guys but the quarterpipe has to go until they actually figure something that works.
I could not agree more. I cringe every time you see top riders just go stright up the wall and pop and grab. There is nothing else they can do, on a skateboard you have the wheels and axels to spin off, on a snowboard the board is more flexable but more importantly the pipe itself enables the riders to work with it. On a wakeboard you have a falt (somewhat stiff) board on a flat stiff surface.
I have yet to see a rail at the turn point of a 2 tower able that lived up to the other rails, on Defy and Out of the Pond, they just looked lame.

The only solution I can think of would the to cover the quarter pipe with Snowflex, (or something similar). to provide leverage to the riders to pull more tricks.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-17-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Is anyone doing real rewinds behind the boat.
Pretty impressive stuff.
I know Harley does a toe back 1 rewind to blind thingy and Alex Graydon does a FS3 rewind to blind thingy... both behind the boat.