Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
So after weeks and weeks of comparing, we have put down a deposit for a custom ordered Mastercraft X-30. We couldn't be happier.

How we came to the decision was this. Looking at both boats from a functional and family point of view the Mastercraft was just a much better laid out boat.

First off in terms of storage, I would say there was at least double the storage of the LSV in the X-30. There is even anchor storage. The Malibu didn't have any storage in the bow whatsoever. On the Mastercraft you can store surfboards and wakeboards anywhere in the boat.

Seats fold up on shocks. This was a big bonus too my wife. My kids could literally go into the bow and crawl all the way to the back hatch under the cushions, thats how deep it was.

The cooler was much better in the MC I thought, as was the trash can.

The Flip back rear seat (like on the new Xstar) was a big bonus for watching the riders. The Malibu didn't have any seat options like this.

I really like the new FT4 tower. I have to fold my tower up and down every time I use it and this tower is so easy to do, my wife did it with ease. I also like the looks of it.

Now of course my biggest concern was the wake since it is a new boat. My dealer assured me that the wake was very good and would be clean at all riding speeds, as verified by pro's like Zane. But to prove to me how serious he was, they put it in writing that if I am not happy with the quality of the wake, I wouldn't have to take the boat. This was a deal maker for me. There aren't a lot of Mastercraft boats with a "Bad Wake", but this made me comfortable with the decision to purchase a new model of boat.

Now this isn't to say there weren't things I liked about the Bu. I liked the carpeted seat bases, the dash and screens, and I liked the looks of the tower and boat overall. They are a sharp boat. I think I could have bought the LSV and been totally happy with it too.

Now the dealers were both excellent to deal with, I am very pleased with their efforts. Martin and Wizard went above and beyond to help me out and try and earn my business. They both knew their products very well as well as their competitors. I would say the worst part of this whole process was having to tell one of the dealers I went another route. Both were very professional.

Because it's a new boat, there aren't many pictures but here is a similar color scheme on an X-25 to what I am going to be ordering, but I will likely have some of the orange and black reversed. If I can get some pics from MC during the build I will post them up as well a review of the rest of the process and how the test goes. Its been fun so far.
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-06-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
Congrats on your decision! What an awesome dilemma to have! I am sure you will love your X-30! I am a sucker for orange so I love the color scheme!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-06-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Awesome, congrats. I bet you can't wait for the boat and for it to warm up so you can use it. I think all your reasons for picking the Mastercraft over the Malibu are very fair. With the dealer standing behind you being happy with the wake it sounds like a win/win. Also if the prices are the same or within a couple thousand of each other I may have chosen the Mastercraft as well. Although I might of even saved more money and got it without the power tower and LCD dash.

Make sure and post pics of the boat when you get it.

Again, congrats.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Oh ya, I didn't list all the options I got. I basically got almost all the goodies (Touchscreen, wakeplate, surf tabs, FCT4, clamping board racks, heaters, heated seats (Heats both driver and passenger), tower speakers, under water lights, and extra ballast! I didn't get the power tower or a tricked out trailer and they garunteed that the new Ilmor 5.7 is great on this boat so that is what I went with. Prices were within a few thousand.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Tralier looks pretty tricked out to me! Sick ride love the orange/black
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-06-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
Congratulations Levi! You guys are going to enjoy the boat.

P.S. Mighty fine color choices above. I might would consider ordering something just like that one too! Oh wait, that's our boat!
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-06-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
U made the right choice.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
That's funny! I was looking on the net and you guys had the best variety of MC's i could find so I could see what different color combo's look like. I really like the Lime Green too. The MC boat builder doesn't do the finished product justice.

The boat in the picture has the tricked out trailer I just went with a standard. We tow it the 6 blocks to the lake 3 times a week and that's it. They do look sweet though.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
And i never realized Craig was with TX MC haha.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-06-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
I charge $9.95 for color schemes!!! lol
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-06-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
I just wasted 2 weeks of my life following this thread. Never a doubt OP was going with the X30. You could tell right from the start he was leaning that way. I guess it was good for a chuckle or two along the way.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Hey Tim, you didn't waste 2 weeks, you were entertained for 2 weeks. I am totally honest when I say I was split. I made 3 trips down to the Bu dealer and they are almost 2 hours away, believe me I was torn. The LSV is a sick boat. I leaned back and forth a lot but although my wife liked the looks of the Bu, she prefered the X-30 in every other way. If you are married you know how much the other opinion matters.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Oh ya, I didn't list all the options I got. I basically got almost all the goodies (Touchscreen, wakeplate, surf tabs, FCT4, clamping board racks, heaters, heated seats (Heats both driver and passenger), tower speakers, under water lights, and extra ballast! I didn't get the power tower or a tricked out trailer and they garunteed that the new Ilmor 5.7 is great on this boat so that is what I went with. Prices were within a few thousand.
Can you give a ballpark of the cost? interested to hear the range for an X-30. Seems like a sweet boat, though i'm guessing not cheap.
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-06-2012, 5:33 PM Reply   
Levi,

Yes, I was entertained! Congrats on reaching a decision and ending up with an awesome boat. You couldn't lose no matter which way you went. I am married and live by the motto: "happy wife = happy life", so I hear you on the importance of listening (very closely) to your wife's input
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Great choice Levi. I will bring my VLX north one sunny weekend. When is the scheduled delivery date? Are you going to have it for May long?
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-06-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
This was an entertaining thread...enjoy the new boat! Cheers!
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-06-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Levi, where do you live where the launch is only 6 blocks away?
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-06-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
The OP may have chosen MC but a victory for both brands, well represented by both sides! Runner up goes to MB, that was mentioned at least 25 times.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-06-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Congratulations on your new boat.As long as your happy and the family is happy,then good times are ahead.Happy Boating!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
when is delivery? Definately post a bunch of wake pics for us, cant wait to see how that thing does. You are are right that MC makes really good wakes on all their wakeboats, so I too am confident that the wake on the x30 will be good as well. Please note ballast, speed, and line length when you post the wake pics... thanks, and congrats, it will be a great summer for you and yours.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-07-2012, 3:18 AM Reply   
Levi, that is going to be a sick boat! You have to keep us on the moomba forum updated and don't disappear and get all new MC friends! I am sure everyone on there would enjoy gawking at the new x-30! Now I need to win the lottery so I can get a black and red one!
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-07-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
Congrats on your new boat! Sounds like you chose the boat that fits your needs the best which is great. If you are happy with it that is what's most important. Maybe you can be the first person to post some detailed pictures and info on the wake of this new model. The factory ballast in the new X30 is 900lbs, and that doesn't include any ballast in the nose, correct?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-08-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see your new ride!! Nice choice.
I'll be at the factory in two weeks and keep my eye out for it. If I see it in production I'll snap a couple pictures for you.
Congrats!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-08-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone.

David, I don't want to be one of those guys putting a different brand of boat up on the Moomba forum but i will be riding behind a Mojo a LOT this year so i will still be on there.

Brett, there is 950 lbs I believe between the fron and 2 rear tanks and I got an extar 900 lbs of weight added to the rear for a total of almost 2k. I think this should be good considering my Moomba had more ballast but weighed 800 lbs less.

Speaking of Moonba, something I should mention is that after going through all the boats from Axis up to the MC and Nautiques with a fine tooth comb, I still feel Moomba's are probably one of the best values. My XLV was a great boat and most of the contruction was right up there with the top brands. The bling factor (or attention to some of the small interior and exterior details) was the only real differences. I wouldn't hesitate in a minute to recommend a moomba.

Wow Darren, that would be amazing if you were able to do that. I'm waiting to hear an exact start date from my dealer, but it should be within a couple weeks.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-09-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
I too am leaning away from Bu toward the X30. Seen it at the boat show and I will say the interior room is insane. MC has thought of it all on this one even down to the rope slots coming out of the anchor storage. The most impressive thing was the estimated cost. Still too high of course but within reason considering the boat.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-09-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Ktrent, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the boat. They thought of all the little things. And yes, it's too expensive but so are all tow boats, but it wasn't $100k and came in less then a Tige.

We fish with the kids and always had an anchor on my Moomba up front so on the LSV it was going to be a pain keeping an anchor in the lounge storage compartments.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-09-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ktrent, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the boat. They thought of all the little things. And yes, it's too expensive but so are all tow boats, but it wasn't $100k and came in less then a Tige.

We fish with the kids and always had an anchor on my Moomba up front so on the LSV it was going to be a pain keeping an anchor in the lounge storage compartments.
Wouldn't it have been a more apples to apples comparison to look at a LSV without bow ballast? Or can you not get one built that way anymore?
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
Not to start any problems, but when you compare Tige to MasterCraft there is NO comparison. (At least not when I compared.) It's kind of like my old high school girlfriend; she looked good from afar, but was far from good. Tige quality vs MasterCraft - Not really in the same league IMO!! Actually that IS the real problem, people don't look close enough before they drop this kind of $$.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-09-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Shawndoggy, with the Bu you need the ballast up front and the X-30 has it up front too. The problem with the LSV is when you add the front ballast (which everyone does) then there is NO storage up front. I mean for some it's no big deal but I found that kind of dissappointing considering my Moomba had so much storage up front and we always used it.

Like I said it wasn't the deal breaker in any way but one of the bigger things I noticed.

I liked the Tige's too but not as much as the Bu or MC.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-09-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
I totally agree that you do give up the whole bow in the 'bu if you go with ballast. I just figured that the x30 must not have it if there's still storage up there. where is the ballast up front in the x30? Is it under the floor?
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-09-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
Both have front ballast. The MC is under floor and the Bu is under floor and seats. I have a VLX now and could live without storage upfront but in my case it's just more room for concealed weight if you need it. The Bu bow is basically for kids and the ladies. When sitting in the X30 I could see myself being comfy up there and I am 6 feet tall. The X30 at the show didn't have any touchscreen at all and that's cool but I am sure I would opt for it and glad I know it's available. I too would like to know a ballpark number of the boat you ordered. I was told low 80s but that was pretty minimum specs.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiFlyer View Post
Not to start any problems, but when you compare Tige to MasterCraft there is NO comparison. (At least not when I compared.) It's kind of like my old high school girlfriend; she looked good from afar, but was far from good. Tige quality vs MasterCraft - Not really in the same league IMO!! Actually that IS the real problem, people don't look close enough before they drop this kind of $$.
What a Useless Post...

I am still confused as to which boat you prefer...
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-09-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrent View Post
Both have front ballast. The MC is under floor and the Bu is under floor and seats. I have a VLX now and could live without storage upfront but in my case it's just more room for concealed weight if you need it. The Bu bow is basically for kids and the ladies. When sitting in the X30 I could see myself being comfy up there and I am 6 feet tall. The X30 at the show didn't have any touchscreen at all and that's cool but I am sure I would opt for it and glad I know it's available. I too would like to know a ballpark number of the boat you ordered. I was told low 80s but that was pretty minimum specs.
I couldn't imagine wanting more storage. You guys must bring a bunch of stuff with you.. I try and keep everybody's crap off of my boat so I don't have to clean it out later... My anchor which gets rarely used sits under the glove box by the batteries. I am not sold on the more storage point and would rather have a boat that handled and drove better personally. I have 3 kids as well so I think we already bring too much crap aboard our boat and the only time is gets somewhat cramped is when I have it weighted for surfing...
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
As I mentioned, IMO when I did my homework on buying a new boat, Tige (as well as a few other brands I checked out) were not built nearly as well as the M/C. I did not listen to any sales hype but really compared build quality, interior, fit & finish and individual components used. Basically they all looked good when new but the M/C just plain had them all beat in construction and materials used. (Yes I am an engineer) The only other boat that appeared to have a comparable build was Nautique but I don't necessarily care for their styling and lack of roominess. I still have not purchased a boat, but to me the M/C appears my first choice. And Yes I too am interested in the new X-30.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
As I mentioned, IMO when I did my homework on buying a new boat, Tige (as well as a few other brands I checked out) were not built nearly as well as the M/C. I did not listen to any sales hype but really compared build quality, interior, fit & finish and individual components used. Basically they all looked good when new but the M/C just plain had them all beat in construction and materials used. (Yes I am an engineer) The only other boat that appeared to have a comparable build was Nautique but I don't necessarily care for their styling and lack of roominess. I still have not purchased a boat, but to me the M/C appears my first choice. And Yes I too am interested in the new X-30.
Lol, why even rehash this conversation with another open ended comment with no evidence to back up your claims....
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
..by the way I'd say most of the regular posters in this forum do their fair share of looking close before they buy.
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
I thought this forum was for sharing legitimate thoughts? What is Chris's issue? I said IMO. Or could it be Chris that you own something other than M/C and want to stir the pot???
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
I thought this forum was for sharing legitimate thoughts? What is Chris's issue? I said IMO. Or could it be Chris that you own something other than M/C and want to stir the pot???
It is, but as has already been stated here, don't make claims wihtout facts. There have been some very well put together information that disspell how much better MC is made, with facts that back it up. There is nothing worng wiht stating opions, but don't tey to sell them as facts.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-09-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Hey kids that have not bought yet looks like a new CC is coming dont pull the trigger too soon.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-09-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
It is, but as has already been stated here, don't make claims wihtout facts. There have been some very well put together information that disspell how much better MC is made, with facts that back it up. There is nothing worng wiht stating opions, but don't tey to sell them as facts.
Yea and the fact that mc and TIGE are built using similar techniques... May wanna double check your facts before you put a whole brand on blast especially considering the manufacturing techniques used since your so educated.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Yea and the fact that mc and TIGE are built using similar techniques... May wanna double check your facts before you put a whole brand on blast especially considering the manufacturing techniques used since your so educated.
Exactly, I presonally think the current Tiges feel very similar to MCs when I sit in them
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-09-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
I'm agreeing with you cjh not putting you on blast
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I'm agreeing with you cjh not putting you on blast
I got ya, I was just reiterating what you said
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
No the difference to me was lots of plastic vs billet as in tower speaker cans, fiberglass inner liner floor vs a glued in floor pan (Malibu) and upholstery that I think looked to be much better quality. For overall fit & finish the M/C just appeared to be built much sturdier. As I said in the beginning, IMO, but I think the differences were pretty obvious. Does anyone have a similar view. I am not trying to be a cheerleader for any one builder in particular. It just looked obvious to ME.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-09-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennery View Post
I couldn't imagine wanting more storage. You guys must bring a bunch of stuff with you.. I try and keep everybody's crap off of my boat so I don't have to clean it out later... My anchor which gets rarely used sits under the glove box by the batteries. I am not sold on the more storage point and would rather have a boat that handled and drove better personally. I have 3 kids as well so I think we already bring too much crap aboard our boat and the only time is gets somewhat cramped is when I have it weighted for surfing...
I am with you about crap on the boat. We really don't take much at all either and the storage on our VLX gets the job done just fine. But having more would be great too. I like the roomy ness of the X30 much better than the LSV or MXZ. This again is just my opinion.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
I've never seen a glued in floor pan in any malibu, where did you see that? I'm not even sure how that would look or work? MCs tower speakers are crap, most tower speakers from the manufacuter are crap, most people go wetwounds, malibus titans are crap too, that's why they give you the 6x9 wetsounds option now, which billet cans. Have you read this thread? 99% of what you just said has been debunked with facts.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
... by the way tiges come with wetsounds as their tower speakers
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
The Malibu VLX I almost bought had seat frames that were carpeted and was not a full fiberglass liner like I saw in the M/C. Also a snap-in carpet covered what appeared to be a glued in floor pan.( I have heard they are changing this but have not seen one.) Also, the stereo in the M/C was JL Audio w/ factory 4ch amp for the tower speakers and 6Ch for inside the boat. IMO It doesn't get much better than JL Audio if it is done right. And it was Standard not an option. I am not a fan of wet sounds. To me they are LOUD but do not have very good quality. And I agree that the Titan stuff was not very impressive.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
It's a two piece deck and as has been beaten to death in this thread, it's got it's pluses and negatives when compared to the one piece. Malibu makes the MXZ and AXIS with the one piece, I personally have seen some gel coazt issues wiht the one piece do to felxion and prefer the two piece. Malibu isn't changing this on their other models, as far as I know and thank god. Wetsounds is heads and shoulders above JL audio in the marine world. Malibus come with rockford fosgate 500watt 4 channel amps, and tiges blow them both away with wetsounds syn4s. Wetsounds rev series is both loud and sounds very good, hence why you don't see people poting a ton of "I'm upgrading form wetsounds to JL" threads around here. I'm not trying to call you uneducated int he market, but you need to do some more research before you start making claims about MC being sooo much better than the other brands
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Wow Chris... You really have decided that you are the expert here. You should pat yourself on the back!!! LOL
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
No, but if had read the thread you'd not have posted half the crap you already have. Everything you've brought up has been gone over with facts. MCs are great boats, but they aren't miles a head of any of the others. The op found it an x30 fit his wants and needs more than others which is great. Every boat has things it does better or worse than the others. There is a reason many of us spend so much time here, this is our passion
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-09-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wow Chris... You really have decided that you are the expert here. You should pat yourself on the back!!! LOL
Sorry we forgot youre the engineer here. You know best
Old     (hiFlyer)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-09-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Yea I had the engineer crap coming. What I should have said was engineer -overthink it type dork. Anyway it is my passion as well and not to offend anyone, I just see what I see and the M/C looks to be better overall. As I said not being a cheerleader it just seems obvious to ME. I really want to hear everyone's opinions but hope to keep it civil.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
I am not sure the JL sound system is crap and I am not sure JL is that far behind wetsounds. I think you are assuming that Wetsounds is automatically that much better because they have HLCD's. The problem I have with that is that 90% of the people that have HLCD's don't need them. They didn't buy them so they can hear while riding. They bought them because they are the "coolest" and "loudest" speakers out there. They want to make sure they can blast rap music louder then the boat next to them at the party spot. I am not audiophile but I would rather have JL 7.7 tower speakers then anybody's HLCD's. I woudl rather have something that has great sound in and around the boat then the loudest speakers on earth. Now MAstercraft completely underpower the JL speakers in my opinion or at least they use to. In 2007 they would use one 6 channel amp to power 4 interiors, 4 towers and a free air sub. It still sounded good but would be amazing with a W6 or W7 and 100+ watts to each interior speaker. I think a boat with correctly powered 7.7 JL interiors and towers with a good sub will sound just as good if not better then anybody else's stereo. Yeah, Tige has full wetsounds which is probably the best but the JL system in the MAstercraft's are better then anybody elses stock stereo that is using RF, Polk, Kicker, etc....
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-09-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
I agree with you on MCs being a better build and having very high quality fit and finish. However I'll never afford one.
As far as speakers I like the quality of JLs over wet sounds as well. Wet sounds don't have as rich of sound quality as JLs IMO.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I am not sure the JL sound system is crap and I am not sure JL is that far behind wetsounds. I think you are assuming that Wetsounds is automatically that much better because they have HLCD's. The problem I have with that is that 90% of the people that have HLCD's don't need them. They didn't buy them so they can hear while riding. They bought them because they are the "coolest" and "loudest" speakers out there. They want to make sure they can blast rap music louder then the boat next to them at the party spot. I am not audiophile but I would rather have JL 7.7 tower speakers then anybody's HLCD's. I woudl rather have something that has great sound in and around the boat then the loudest speakers on earth. Now MAstercraft completely underpower the JL speakers in my opinion or at least they use to. In 2007 they would use one 6 channel amp to power 4 interiors, 4 towers and a free air sub. It still sounded good but would be amazing with a W6 or W7 and 100+ watts to each interior speaker. I think a boat with correctly powered 7.7 JL interiors and towers with a good sub will sound just as good if not better then anybody else's stereo. Yeah, Tige has full wetsounds which is probably the best but the JL system in the MAstercraft's are better then anybody elses stock stereo that is using RF, Polk, Kicker, etc....
The funny thing is I agree 100% wiht people having them and not needing them and the whole "wanting the loudest boat thing". I do think wetsounds lacked in all around sound before the rev series. though I haven't heard the 10s I have heard the 8s, and they sound rich and full at lower volume while also being able to throw to the rider. I'm personally buying 10s for my boat next month to throw to riders, but also due to their reviews on sounding nice at all volumes. I'm not one of those who wants to annoy the rest of the lake with rap, I just want a good speaker that can be a true tower speaker that can throw to rider, and be a good sound while turned low and just hanging out. The pro series was great loud,but did really lack at lower volume, and even at the rider lacked the midbass to sound really good.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       03-09-2012, 5:09 PM Reply   
You haters are all wrong. MB is the best. Duh. Want facts? We're on wakeworld
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
hiflyer. you are about 2 pages too late. the discussion you seem to want to have has been had already, in pages 1-3. So you are getting nailed on here because apparently you did not read the thread... or are just trying to stir the pot. Either way, it is coming off all wrong. I am, and always, willing to hear why one build process or the other is better with pictures or descriptions... so keep that coming.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Hiflyer I haven't heard any specifics as why one boat is of better build quality than another.Sounds more like a Kool aid drinking engineer.Do you actually know how each boat is built?Do you actually know the quality of materials used?Or are you actually repeating what you were told.Instead of doing first hand research on a tour of EVERY manufactures plants.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-10-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Its kind of funny how people have to call out someone because they feel the MC is built better. Why can't people "feel" or "think" one boat is built better? It's the conclusion I came to after looking at many many boats in great detail. Maybe I'm wrong but when you spend $70-$100k, I think that the person buying the boat should "feel" or "think" that the boat they bought is "the best" or the "Best for the buyer". Isn't that how most people feel?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Its kind of funny how people have to call out someone because they feel the MC is built better. Why can't people "feel" or "think" one boat is built better? It's the conclusion I came to after looking at many many boats in great detail. Maybe I'm wrong but when you spend $70-$100k, I think that the person buying the boat should "feel" or "think" that the boat they bought is "the best" or the "Best for the buyer". Isn't that how most people feel?
I'm fine with that. Hiflyer was stating that for a fact one was better than another,but didn't offer specific proof.Just his opinion.If he said it was his opinion and not fact I wouldn't have had any issue.Here in the united states boat prices are different too.That is just a fact from someone who has owned and shopped all brands for over 20 years.I'm not trying to argue with anyone just separate the facts from the opinions.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-10-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Some opinions are more correct than others. I would think an engineer would be able to offer a more valid opinion than a lay person when it comes to build quality.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
I would think an engineer would be able to give specifics like 10 ounce vinyl versus 8 ounce vinyl.Stainless steel hardware,billet aluminum such stuff,piano hinges versus pivot type.He may be a sanitation engineer.Does that also make him more qualified?
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-11-2012, 3:48 AM Reply   
Scrap that ugly tower and put a illuison xs on her, look 1000x cleaner!!! love the paint!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Levi, congratulations on your new X-30, you did your homework and it will be the best boat for you and your family.

At the end of the day, feeling good about your purchase, and being in your boat is what its all about. These threads become a joke, its the typical, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge argument with many people chiming in that have no real factual information to give the OP. All the boat makes, MB, MC, Malibu, Skiers Choice, etc... are building quality boats, it really comes down to finding one that meets all of your personal needs.

Enjoy your new MC, and have a great summer with it! Hope you will post up some pictures when you take delivery, that will ge a great day for you and your family!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-11-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
These threads never seem to get out of hand until the words cheaper or not as well built are thrown around.I've seen 20 plus year old Mastercraft,Malibu,Nautique,Supra and Tige.All have held up well.Each Manufacturer has made great improvements and increased the Quality of their builds.The reason i didn't mention MB,Axis,Centurion,Moomba and others is i haven't personally seen 20 plus year old versions of them.If you review all my posts i don't bash brands.I just point out personal experiences.To me the top 4 manufacturers are Very close in build Quality[therefore you couldn't go wrong with any of them].It ends up being a personal preference thing .All of us justify that differently,that's why all of these manufacturers are still in business.They all still provide a quality product that the public still craves.So may each of you enjoy your own boat and appreciate your neighbors enthusiasm for theirs.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-12-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Some opinions are more correct than others. I would think an engineer would be able to offer a more valid opinion than a lay person when it comes to build quality.
I am a mechanical engineer, and I think hiflyer's comments sounds like unsubstantiated marketing BS.

There is nothing wrong with people having an opinion, the problem is when they say things like "Just look at it, you can SEE it's better built, it's a FACT." That is what people have reacted to in this thread.

Structural analysis happens to be one of my areas, and I asked for some data or actual facts a few times in this thread and haven't seen anything. All of these boats are well built and come with a lifetime hull warranty and none of them are failing or even having hull/stringer/floor problems.

Several of them are having problems with parts that are way more critical then seat bases. Things like towers that flex and/or break, fuel pumps that die, ballast timers that don't work right, etc. If Ilmor engines are so superior to Indmar, why does MC only offer a 3-year engine warranty and Malibu offers a 5-year engine warranty? Why are all of these things overlooked and we are instead arguing about seat bases and misleading hull plugs? Because that's what the MC marketing and salespeople want.

I've been shopping MC, Malibu, Nautique, and Axis for several years now. I have ridden on and behind the boats on the water, checked them out closely at the dealers and shows, talked to lots of owners, techs, factory reps, and salesmen, looked at everybody’s pictures from the build process, and will be doing factory tours myself this year. I think that all of the leading manufacturers make an excellent product. I would be happy to own a MC, and there are certainly things I think MC does better than Malibu (and vice versa). But I have not seen anything that would lead me to state that MC is overall a superior quality boat to Malibu. Not by a long shot. Especially considering the substantial difference in prices that I have been quoted.

The original poster got what works best for him and he is happy with it, that is all that matters.

Last edited by Brett_B; 03-12-2012 at 8:04 AM.
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-13-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Is it true that there are issues with the new X-30 hull performance? Come on MC...get it right the first time! But would we really suprised since the X-Star still isn't out yet?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-13-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu23lsv View Post
Is it true that there are issues with the new X-30 hull performance? Come on MC...get it right the first time! But would we really suprised since the X-Star still isn't out yet?
Where are you hearing this or just stirring crap up?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-21-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Here is the newest X-30 video. Would have been nice to get more wake footage:

http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...tercraft-x-30/
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-21-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
I also noticed that malibu23lsv joined WW in February when this thread started. I am guessing Malibu rep of some sort?
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-21-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
When are you getting you're boat? I saw the video I wish they would show the wake from the boat. It seems like almost no manufacturer shows it this way in their promo videos.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-21-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I think the new X-30 looks great inside and out. From the video it looks like the bow, cockpit, and sun pad are all huge. Not sure how they fit all that space into a 23' boat without compromising any of it. Maybe it's an optical illusion. It would be interesting to take a tape measure to this boat and compare it to other 23 footers. Side note: was that a vinyl wrapped dash I saw at 0:15. Looks like you can see a hand stitched seam there. If so, that's a nice step for MC who usually have molded plastic dashboards. Even the new tower looks pretty good, imho.

Mastercaft obviously went to a lot of trouble to make this video... helicopters, chase boats, gopro hd, professional edit, pro riders, models, music, etc. They probably spent an entire day on the water with a full crew to get that footage. I bet it cost $100K to produce (just guessing). I will hand it to MC... they make the best quality videos in the business. I love their stuff, especially the Rewind DVD they do each year.

Here's what I don't understand... why go to all that trouble and expense to make this video and somehow they have managed to avoid showing us any real wake footage. Oh sure, they show a couple of teaser frames, but nothing of real substance. They spend more time showing the boat blasting down the lake at 35 mph. They spend more time showing you pro riders flirting with the models. They spend more time showing you people preparing to wakeboard (e.g. putting on their boots, managing the rope, etc.) than they show actually wakeboarding. The few wakeboarding shots are brief and taken from the helicopter so you can't really judge the wake size or shape. Same goes for the surfing footage. I just don't understand the logic in expending all that effort and hardly showing off the wake.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-21-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I agree ixfe, there should be more footage of the wake. I imagine it's because the people they are trying to appeal too are the parents who actually buy and pay for the boat not the kids/younger generation who are all about the wake like the people on WW. Not to say younger people don't buy MCs but I would say the majority of the younger riders/hard core riders are looking for a little more inexpensive option with killer wakes, hence Axis and Moomba. This is not true for all of course but I think it's true for many. My first new boat 4 years ago was a Moomba because it was the best value I could find for a 23ft boat. Now our needs have changed a little.

When I get my boat in a month or 2 I will make sure to post all the videos of the wake empty,stock, and loaded.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Another new X-30 video just released:
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I agree ixfe, there should be more footage of the wake. I imagine it's because the people they are trying to appeal too are the parents who actually buy and pay for the boat not the kids/younger generation who are all about the wake like the people on WW. Not to say younger people don't buy MCs but I would say the majority of the younger riders/hard core riders are looking for a little more inexpensive option with killer wakes, hence Axis and Moomba. This is not true for all of course but I think it's true for many. My first new boat 4 years ago was a Moomba because it was the best value I could find for a 23ft boat. Now our needs have changed a little.

When I get my boat in a month or 2 I will make sure to post all the videos of the wake empty,stock, and loaded.
Some of us parents who actually buy the boat, "the older generation" like a good wake too

-wakeworlder since '02
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more! That's a big reason for buying a wakeboat, especially for me. But I would "imagine" the majority of the people actually buying (PAYING) for the boat aren't riding it with 4000 lbs of weight and boosting 7's. They will more likely be surfing. At the boat show not one salesman mentioned wakeboarding, ONLY surfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Some of us parents who actually buy the boat, "the older generation" like a good wake too

-wakeworlder since '02
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Just bustin' your chops...lol.

I'm actually liking the X30 --- my biggest complaint with MC is the bling factor on most of their boats really turns me off. All the diamond stitching and diamond plate stuff is over the top for some of us. The X30 seems to have that toned down quite a bit.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-22-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
Levi,
just got back from the factory. WOW what an experience. Drove the X30 with the 5.7L, full gas, 6 guys, and had plenty of power. Wakeboard wake was very similar to the X15 just a little bigger and wider. Surf wake was insane below is a picture. And slalom wake was actually doable for a 23' boat. Only saw one Orange/Black boat but it was under shrinkwrap, might be yours? Seemed like every other boat there was the new X30, I think you are not alone in your boat choice this summer! Enjoy!! BTW the surf wake is stock with 6 guys. I can't wait to load this boat and see what we get!
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
Darren, that looks pretty dang nice, especially for stock ballast and people. How are you doing with the X30 so far?