Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-15-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Lately, I read about leaving water in the motor during winter will cause rust. However, I use my boat at least once a month during Dec. and Jan. so is winterizing for a month necessary in order to prevent rusting?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
try putting some anti-freeze in it while it's sitting I heard that will prevent rusting
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-15-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
It is really simple to drain the block. I would do it anyway.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I have a valve I can turn and drain all the water out of mine it just takes a minute
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-15-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
From what I understand leaving the block wet actually inhibits corrosion. Draining the water out allows air inside speeds the corrosion process.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-15-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
it is not going to rust in a month...

drain the water for sure.

don't drain the water and watch it freeze and crack -- your choice...

winterization is only for peeps that put their boat up for several months at a time.. if you plan to use it once a month, more/less... just drain the water from each side of the block, manifolds/risers and hoses... no way it can crack then....
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-17-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Thanks! I will add antifreeze if the temperature is going to drop enough to bust the block, but getting that cold here is unusual and I store the boat inside.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-17-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Antifreeze blows into the lake if you put it in the block. Draining the block is easy and doesn't pollute.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-17-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
there is eco friendly antifreeze that you can blow in the lake
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-17-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Remember to remove the impeller so it doesn't dry rot
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2007, 1:18 AM Reply   
I make sure I change the oil before getting into winter, but I don't winterize as I might be able to get out on the water. Come spring she goes in in for a full check up, impeller etc. and no worries about rust, a rotting impeller or such.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-18-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
Give a hoot don't pollute. Econ anti freeze or not I bet it will take more work to add this than it would to just drain it. Don't be lazy. Think about it how are you going to get the antifreeze all they way through out the motor?
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-18-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
I normally change my impeller at the start of every season and hook the water hose up in order to run the antifreeze out (and dilute it) before going to the lake. Even though polluting is a good point, I was more concerned about keeping the rust at a minimum. I think it's like Jay said. Keeping water in will inhibit rust. My thinking is it will also help lubricate the impeller.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-21-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
Ronnie please tell me your not using regular car (ethylene glycol) antifreeze and either dumping it in the ground or into the lake?
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-22-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
No, it's a pink antifreeze that's supposed to be environmentally safe.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2007, 1:56 AM Reply   
cool, you almost scared me there for a moment