Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-08-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
Looking for some input...I am interested in upgrading my stock 35A alternator...I am putting roughly 1000W of stereo stuff/lights/ballasts...so has anyone upgraded their old boat's alternator and what did you use...I own a 1986 Dixie Super Skier with the PCM Ford 351W motor 240HP(I think)...I heard that maybe there can be issues with to large of an alternator? I was thinking either a 70A, 100A or the 135A alternators, of course marine grade. I've seen some good deals on reconditioned ones with a warranty on ebay. Has anyone purchased one there? Thanks for any and all inputs... Nick
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       05-09-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I had 2 135 amp alternators on a SAN with the pcm gt-40 (same engine just injected) and had NO problems with it.
Old    wakefunx2            05-09-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I might have a 70amp for sale soon, its out of a MAstercraft, but it sounds like you might want to go bigger than that. let me know
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
I ordered the same one Shawn has. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. The regulator blew. I took it to a reputable alternator shop in town. They dropped in a new regulator….the alt only put out aprox 110 amp @ WOT and close to nothing at the machines lowest setting. The alt also had the wrong type of fan on it and the housing was not marine. I sent it back for a refund. I'm hoping it was an isolated incident. It was not 100% identical to the alt shown in the picture. On a side note my alt guy said they don’t even make a 135 amp stator…only a 140……what it looks like is they tried to rebuild a 105 amp alt and get 135 amp….which according to my guy is very difficult and expensive….but could possibly be done. I now have a fully marine 105 amp alt…shows about 115 amps WOT and about 35-40 at idle, 800 RPMS.
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       05-09-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thats odd adam. Mine had checked out at 140 each on a bench test. Mine had all the screans in it also, I wonder if they sent you the wrong one. I have had mine for about 2 years with no problems.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
that's why I figured it was isolated. Mine had screens on the back , but had holes in the main housing. It did not look liek the one on the picture. It was similar but not exact. I called them about it and they ssured me they wer all the same......I'm guessing it was isolated.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-12-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
shawn....wanted to let you know Patrick at alterstart gladly refunded my money and even offered to ship a new one back at half price. Even when his add states no refunds, only exchanges. He was sorry for shipping an alt. witht he wrong housing on it. He said it should have never been shipped. He also metnioned the alt must be tested on a high horsepower machine to read correctly. As far as I know the shop had a big enough machine. I'm 100% sure this was an isolated incident and would gladly buy from him in the future.