Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
http://marinedieselusa.com/html/malibu.html

i wonder how bad the exhuast is. that would be tought to put your bindings on with the engine running.

(Message edited by salty87 on June 09, 2004)

spelling is not my bag today

(Message edited by salty87 on June 09, 2004)
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Finally, I have been waiting for this for a long time! I love diesels, and was wondering when this would happen. Hopefully we'll see more reports on this soon. They didn't give any engine or performance specifics, but if this engine is an option, I'd put one in a new boat (if it isn't 5k). They did say a 30-40% increase in fuel consumption. Hopefully it is an acceptable alternative in performance, vibration, sound, and exhaust. If it is close to the new light truck deisels it should be a decent in a boat. I would think that they would have greated speed holding power. I am surprised that it is 'Super' charged and not 'Turbo', although the supercharger shouldn't have the lag associted with turbo's.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
that was a 30-40% savings in consumption. that doesn't factor in the cost of diesel which is about 20% cheaper at the pump lately.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-09-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Friggin sweet!
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Yea, my bad! Its been a very long day.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
very nice... i want to see the performance specifics!
Old    lewrida97            06-09-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Is Malibu going to have the contract with Cummins like Dodge does? That's sweet for Malibu if they do. There is a large market for diesel power!!!
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
This may be what I needed to pull the trigger on an 05' if it is available in the VLX and the price is right.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-09-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
I can tell you that the engine they are showing has a Whipple supercharger on top which will add at least $3000.00 to the engine cost.
Old    zboomer            06-09-2004, 4:00 PM Reply   
Well, if it's a Cummins (or any diesel really), it will likely be very expensive. I have a new Dodge 3500 1-ton with Cummins, and it's like a $5500 option OVER the Hemi, which is not a cheap motor itself.

That being said, I'd love to have a Cummins in a wakeboard boat!
Old    walt            06-09-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
I was down in Baja a few years ago and went out fishing on a 30 ft. Blackfin that had twin diesels that were super and turbo charged !
That boat flat out hauled ASS.
I'm not sure why they would have a turbo and super charger on the same engine gut it works great.
Old     (goodtime)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-09-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
That is awesome, i think anything that is beneficial to our pockets should be looked at. Diesel power with a blower is a great idea, performance boats are already looking at yahnmar diesels and surface drives, why not wake boats.
I hope that this idea works out for the industry so we can all see for ourselves if diesel is what we want.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-09-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
awesome, i've been waiting for someone to do this.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
sweet, love those diesels.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2004, 9:51 PM Reply   
Walt, they probably had both because some diesels run very rich off the line (like semis producing all that black smoke leaving a traffic light) untill the turbos start cramming air into the mix, it takes the turbos time to build up pressure to spool up and compress air. Superchargers compress air with the engines RPM since they are often driven by the crank, so it would give the engine some much needed air at lower RPM's. But I bet it was an awesome boat, we went parasailing behind a diesel powered boat, and that boat just had this constant sense of pulling and power, not to mention a cool sound.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2004, 12:07 AM Reply   
sounds like a good deal plus that is alot more weight,no more sac's in the floor.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2004, 2:23 AM Reply   
that is the way to go and all the extra weight no need for sacks next to the motor.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-10-2004, 2:25 AM Reply   
Thats weird when I went back my post was not up so I did another and now it is back.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-10-2004, 3:11 AM Reply   
I have seen quite a few diesel converted mastercrafts in the UK. Never been behind one but from what I hear they are just as good as gasoline.

Old    walt            06-10-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
Stephen, That makes sense.....When the skipper would open it up you really could hear the turbos spool up and it had a serious kick in the pants feeling for such a big boat.
Old    ag4ever            06-10-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
I bet they are using the supercharger instead of the turbo because of the heat issue. With a turbo, you can have a ton of excess heat, and you would have hot exhaust manifolds. With the supercharger, you could still have wet exhaust manifolds, and keep the exhaust temps down.

I too think it would make a great boat engine. I would love to have a center console inboard diesel powered fising boat of about 25' length. That would be sweet.
Old    cisom            06-10-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
It looks like this is the 6.5 litre engine that GM used in it's 1 ton trucks prior to the Duramax. I have a 1 ton dually with this engine and I like it. It runs like a gas motor, it really doesn't smoke even under hard acceleration. Low RPM and super grunt torque with the supercharger. I would imagine the diesel option is going to be high $$$. The only problem I've had is injection pumps failing, and that's because it is buried in the intake valley and gets overheated. I would imagine the company marinizing this engine has solved that problem.