Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-07-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
I just moved here from Colorado. Looks like Cheat lake is a pretty cool place to ride. What kind of wake scene do they have out here? Are their any good local comps? I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with some new riders.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-08-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
You're not far from the Yough river/dam and Deep Creek Lake.

I used to live in the burgh but haven't been there in awhile. I hear Deep Creek is really crowded now. I would think the Yough is best chance to find butter other than sunrise. Cheat is next to WVU so it probably has the biggest scene, although college students don't usually own boats; if you got a boat you'll be able to find a good crew I'm sure.

The water at all the nearby lakes I mentioned are beautiful and deep. Enjoy
Old     (gabboso36)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-08-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
We ride up in the Burgh on the Mon River. check out www.wakeboardpittsburgh.com and get a hold of Kyle. He can let you know the goings on. Morgantown is probably 45 minutes from Pittsburgh.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-12-2010, 4:53 AM Reply   
Deep Creek Lake in MD is your best bet. Not a lot of riders actually in Motown. As said above...not a lot of college students have wakeboats. There is one comp put on on Deep Creek each year by High Mountain Sports. The water is better at Cheat though (not as crowded). There are a few people riding on the Monongahalia River. Hitting up www.wakeboardpittsburg.com is your best bet for finding other riders in the area. Im down in the eastern panhandle on the Potomac (2.5 hours away)

(Message edited by wvboard on January 12, 2010)
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-13-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
What Gavin said, there are a few of us always on the Monongahela, Kyle is pretty much our ambassador/social butterfly and is out on my SAN or one of our other buddies wakesetter.

Gavin how was out west? You going to meet us up 7 springs anytime soon?
Old     (cmark25)      Join Date: May 2009       01-21-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
We ride on Tygart Lake in Grafton, WV. It's about 40 minutes south of Motown on route 119. Not much of a wakeboard scene though. During the week there's hardly a boat on the water. Early morning weekends you'll have some nice water too. Take a look.

Upload
Upload
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-21-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
we hit cheat every weekend, we also hit the mon during the week, usually launch in oakmont/ cheat is a great lake, the best for seperating big boats and traffic because the lower bridge keeps larger boats our of the river inlet. there are probably 30 or 40 wakeboats that frequent the lake. deep creek is a great party but the pokey is tough and the lake is packed. The yough res is great, so is tygart, but they are army cor lakes and are hard pressed to bust balls. As for comps, i don't think anyone really puts anything great in our area. In the north, there have been a few jams on the clarions river and in coneaut. hope this helps
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
Ryan, I think we were emailing back and forth earlier this winter about a house on the Tygart. Did you end up buying that? As soon as I start getting some info about contests & other stuff I will post it up on wakeboardpittsburgh.

Gavin, how come I only see you at the bar at 7springs and never on snow..?

Mark, have you ever rode with Luke on Tygart? He is the only other wakeboarder I know down there.

Mike, what's the plan for this year? I am down to help out with anything.

On another note, somehow I ended up winning the Murray pay it forward program (
http://www.wakeboardpittsburgh.com/murray-pay-it-forward-program/) so Shaun should be making a stop in Pittsburgh sometime this summer.

I am also trying to get my old college roomate, Sean O'Brien, to come up for a day. Sean run's a wakeboard camp down in Orlando: http://orlandowakeboard.com/
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
Kyle,

Not much planned so far that I know of, other than (Bay Watersports) Doug Barmoy is planning an event in April. Sean O'brien was up here on my section of river a few years ago