Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
Guys, i've been tryin to land my first mobe for about two years now. I always tried one or two back mobes at the end of my set. i can land without the handle, or alternatively not land with the handle and get a huge backside edge! but the last couple of weekends i've been trying Crow Mobes, i've switched my focus.

i was tryin them off the double up, but it's so hard to lock your arm in. and when you do get around i over rotate. off the wake i can't get enough pop to huck it?

what do you guys reckon, would i be better tryin from the wake, or off the double?
...also, with the back mobes; am i better going for a 'wake to wake' or 'in the flats'???
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
for me off the wake is easier. you have to get your crows so that you go almost straight up and over, not around the back too much. then once you have that do the same thing except keep your head turned and soon as you see the landing once you have done the first 180 give that handle an extra yank to the small of your back and reach for the handle with your free hand
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
going into the flats will make it easier to get around but way harder to land. you end up bouncing.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-10-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Dave, if you have good pop on your tantrum, you might want to give the Moby Dick a try.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason, i think i just have to really work hard... maybe get my crows a little more vertical. i know what you mean, they prolly are a little out the back, thats why its so hard on my shoulders with the mobe, on the double up its hard to because of the bucking factor.

Randy - My tantrum is unfortunately my worst invert. I love moby dick's, but im so not ready.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
hijack: what classifys a trick as a mobe? like the actual definition i guess because i know regular tricks like scarecrows but whats the difference if you do a crow mobe? just spin the opposite way of the flip? thanks.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-10-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Dave, you trying a back mobe in your profile pic? if so, where you are with the handle gives you ample time to stick the mobe but your head is looking the wrong way...you need to continue looking over your shoulder and you wont catch an edge
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-10-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
or it is just a roll to blind, then it looks good, lol
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Kyle it's actually a HS BS Inverted 360 of the double. ala Bonifay!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
bart- a mobe is any flip that is done in combination with a 360. the easiest mobe to do for most people is a whirly bird, even though it does not a have a handle pass its still considered a mobe
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-10-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
have your driver turn slightly to reduce the line tension on the side you're landing on. It'll make the wake a little steeper and give you a break on the landings. Maybe just as way to get comfortable landing them
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-10-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
J-Rod your giving away trade secrets
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2008, 11:44 PM Reply   
Nice J-Rod.
Keep em coming.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-11-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
ah!! thats sick looking! just do a moby dick then, they are pretty much the same trick
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-11-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
I second what J-Rod said. I learned the Crow Mobe off of the dumper. When you are ready to try the trick, just give the boat driver a nod which signals him to turn the boat slightly to the right or left when you are ready to make your cut to the wake. If you are approaching the wake left foot forward, have him turn the boat slightly to the right. Opposite for right foot forward riders.

Like J-Rod said, the wake will be steeper on your take off, but will be very mellow on your landing. You will also have a little less line tension, so you can rotate the trick a little easier!

As the trick got more consistent for me, the driver would turn less and less when I gave him the nod. Soon, he would not turn the boat at all, but since I nodded to him, I had it in my mind that he was turning the boat.

Good Luck!

McFly
http://waterskiboatsdallas.blogspot.com
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-11-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
j-rod nailed it.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-11-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
I landed my first heal mobe this past summer and this is what helped me. Do a bunch of two handed Roll2Reverts. You want to do the mobe as a two handed r2r. Then just keep pulling with both hands then reach for the pass. I haven't taken a real hard back edge catch yet. I only really landed one then didn't work on it too much after that and then hurt my ankle so I am looking forward to dialing them this coming season. How about the pete? That is probably my next one that I hope to learn.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
The slight turn helps a whole bunch with tricks like whirly birds and big worms. Any trick where there is a lot of line tension it will help. Also the falls will be much more forgiving.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-12-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
went ridin today guys and didn't come remotely close to a crow mobe... however i was super close on the back mobe....

oh well.

i just hope all you cats out there that are landing mobes aren't taking them for granted. will try again next weekend... thanks heaps for your advise!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-12-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
go for a couple pete's too...for me they are the easiest mobe
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       01-20-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
I also had been trying Crow mobes on several occasions this year and would always seem to either come up short and catch my back edge or land with to much momentum going towards shore and trip forward with my chest toward shore. I took to many back slappers and it got in my head.